Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Furosemide or Frusol for Congestive Heart-Failure

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rick Bear, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Rick Bear

Rick Bear PetForums Newbie

Frusol or Furosemide taste bad to cats. Here's how to ensure your cat gets its medication...

My 15 year old cat has congestive heart-failure, where fluid builds up inside her chest if she isn't medicated twice-daily with a diuretic in her food.

The diuretic most commonly used is Furosemide tablets or Frusol liquid. As long as she takes her meds she's fine. But, if she's not so hungry (such as it's been a hot day) we're on a slippery slope, as the fluid quickly starts to build up and she has even less appetite.

I'm always on the lookout for a better way to get her Frusol (or Furosemide) into her, as getting her chest drained is a medical emergency, and not something we want the poor girl to suffer...

HERE'S THE BREAKTHROUGH DISCOVERY! -- I've tried crushed tablets in her food or mixing Frusol liquid in but, apparently, it tastes horrible to cats. Disguising the flavour with strong-tasting food is what the vets recommend, but what if you could make Frusol/Furosemide taste delicious? Well, that's the Holy Grail, and a Canadian veterinarian, name of Dr.Uri put me onto the magical flavouring.

Most of us are aware of the danger that leaking automotive Antifreeze poses to cats. The simply crave the sweet taste of the stuff. So, what if our Frusol/Furosemide tasted that good? Well, Dr.Uri suggested mixing food-grade pure GLYCERINE syrup into the Frusol.

I mix 1 part Frusol to 2 parts Glycerine and 5 to 7 ml of plain water and put that in my cat's usual drinking bowl. My cat goes absolutely crazy for the stuff. It's cat treat time! She laps up every last drop of her medication, then keeps on licking the bowl in the hope there's some more. After that, she'll sit gazing a the bone dry water bowl, just hoping I'll refill it with more Frusol and Glycerine.

I'm assured it's perfectly safe and my cat absolutely adores her little "treat", even if she's off her normal food. It is such a relief that medicating her is now so easy.

Ted

Bertie'sMum and Babyshoes like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice