Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Furious fleas!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Laura1803, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Laura1803

Laura1803 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m after any advice for getting rid of fleas. I got my gorgeous kitten girlies a couple of months ago and they are 17 weeks old now. On Saturday I found them both riddled with fleas. They haven’t been outside yet apart from going to the vet for their injections. I immediately treated them both with a spot on treatment from the vet even though they weren’t due to have it for a few days. I am still pulling live fleas off them both and finding them all over the house. I have washed all bedding, got rid of rugs, used baking powder on the kittens and carpets etc, sprayed proper flea spray everywhere and hoovered over and over. I keep repeating all this but they still appear. The vet can’t help as I have already treated the kittens and advised me to google for ideas. My children and I are being badly bitten. If anyone has some advice I’d be forever grateful! Thanks.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

What spot on did the vet give you and what spray are you using in your house?

3. Laura1803

Laura1803 PetForums Newbie

The spot on is called strong hold plus and the spray is called rip fleas also from the vet

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Those are both good products and will work fine. But no flea treatment will kill the flea pupae, you need to keep vacuuming every day to help them emerge into fleas. So you will need to take account of the Pupal Window, please see the RIP Fleas website:-

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

Meanwhile you can comb your kittens with a flea comb daily, with a bowl of soapy water by you so you can drown the fleas. The soap in the water is essential to change the surface tension of the water so the fleas can't swim to the edge of the bowl and jump out.

Edited to add: until your home is free of fleas it may be best to put an insect repellant on your children
    (one safe for kids i.e). For yourself I recommend eating a lot of garlic at present as insects, including fleas, hate the smell of garlic. :)

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice