UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what age can you tell what sort of fur cats will have. as most of you are aware, tabitha had 5 kittens 4 weeks ago tomorrow. the torti has really short fur (no fluff whatsoever), the black and the torbi has slightly fluffier fur but the two blue tabbys have fur that is quite a lot fluffier. could it just be that they are developing at different rates or could this be because they are going to have different length fur. any ideas?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can't tell if it is their 'baby' fur but it is definitely fluffier than the other three. the tortis fur is very short with no fluffly bits at all if you can understand what i mean:)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
i can't tell if it is their 'baby' fur but it is definitely fluffier than the other three. the tortis fur is very short with no fluffly bits at all if you can understand what i mean:)
Yes, I know what you mean :)

Pixie had a bit of baby fluff but is now shorthaired, although her neck and tail have some thicker fur on them. Her dad was longhaired so all 5 kittens in the litter looked fluffy when little! :)

I would imagine that Tabitha's kittens' Dad was a shorthair but carrying a longhair gene. That would explain why there is already an obvious difference in their fur lengths, if Tabitha also carries longhair because some kittens would get 2 longhair genes, some 2 shorthair genes, and some 1 gene of each (like my previous cats had!) ;)

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
oh tabitha...not another guessing game, you do like to keep us on our toes dont you.
well its all in the genes as they say so anything goes. guess we will have to wait and see but semi longhair blues....oooh dont, i love them.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.