Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fur coats, yes or no

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alan g a, Apr 12, 2011.

1. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

Fur coats and anything made of animal skin (leather and suede exceped) should be banned. Animals are put to death, often cruelly, for the sake of its skin. If people want ware fur coats then are man made materials that look just as good. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, the only thing that a fur coat looks good on is the animal that was born with it.

2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I suppose that really depends on whether the animal hide, be it fur or leather is a by-product of an animal that is slaughtered for the table. Raising/killing animals purely for their coats NO. There is no need, we can keep ourselves warm in winter by wearing other things.

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I agree with Bird, if it's come from an animal that has a purpouse for food then I don't mind so much but raising them solely for fur, No. I was in a place yesterday and saw many fox skins, it made my skin crawl

4. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I can't really understand why you exclude suede and leather. wayne.

5. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

i'm a wool fan myself :p no need to kill anything then! But leather comes from a cow that was killed to be munched so i don't see any problem there.

6. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

These are by-products of animals slaughtered for food. The animals did not suffer. Killing aniamls for their skin alone is WRONG.

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I guess that depends on your view of slaughter houses etc

Fur looks best on the animal end if story although in places like the artic etc where all the animal is used in one way or the other leaving very little waste I have no problem with it

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. KalokiMallow

KalokiMallow PetForums Member

Mixed feelings, although I totally agree with you that fur is best on the animal it belongs on, and that it is uneccessary now due to the quality of modern materials (including fake fur). I wouldn't say no if someone offered me a vintage (eg. 40's/50's) fur coat - but definitely wouldn't buy new.

I'm well aware this puts me into a slightly odd middle ground. But the way I see it is that buying vintage doesn't mean giving business to furriers, and doesn't create demand (I'm pretty certain I'm not a style icon who people copy)

On top of that, there are reasons they used fur back then, they didn't have the technology we do now, and it was the warmest material.

I had a really interesting conversation once with an old lady who, on seeing my fake fur coat, was telling me about the fur coats she had to get rid of because of the modern views on wearing fur. But as she pointed out to me, in the 40's she was living in Russia - fur was really her only choice back then.

9. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

real fur no, I'd not wear it & never have, fake /faux fur yeah ive worn that in the past & would again, fake/faux fur looks just as good if not better!

10. Bandy

Bandy Banned

Have to be careful even buying the fakes especially if they originate in China.

Watched a news special on it and it seems quite a bit of the "fake fur" isn't fake.

11. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

my gran has a seal fur jacket in her house, it was a gift from her mother in law on my grandparents wedding day 50 years ago and it was about 20 back then so it's a proper relic....it's in fantastic condition my gran never wore it except to church on Sundays(my family is from the outer hebrides...you don't know what cold is until you've been there :p ) and after the MIL passed away she put it away.

Like people have said back then there was no choice...you wanted to be warm so you wore fur...Inuits still kill seals for fur(and meat).

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I would never wear a fur coat. One's from the 40/50's aren't as bad obviously but it looks so much better on the animal. Wool is no problem for me the sheep aren't harmed and leather and suede are byproducts of the meat industry again not a problem. But deliberately killing an animal for it's fur I feel is wrong

13. KalokiMallow

KalokiMallow PetForums Member

I'm always really careful with fake fur, if I can't see inside the lining to see if it is woven then I will feel it very carefully.

14. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Just curious why though you would want to look like you had a dead animal draped around your shoulders, real or not, that look is an ugly one, just screams murder. And I have seen videos of real fur trades and these bastards are brutal, would be arrested if I was in those factorys :mad: :mad:

15. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

Fur is awful.
    So its a no from me.
    But Im afraid I will always buy leather shoes.

Happy Paws2 and Catharinem like this.
  16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Busy and b*ggarin' off again in a second, but no, leather isn't necessarily a by product of an animal that's eaten, leather, much like the muscle mass on animals bred for consumption, is an individual quality bred for in many instances; whether the carcass is also used depends on where in the world it's been bred and raised, and what for is anyone's guess, but it won't be for prime steak.

Lots of cultures kill animals to use their fur, and don't necessarily eat the animal. Foxes are killed all over the world for their fur, always have been. Birds are killed for their feathers, either as a filler for upholstery, or decoration, or even just as feather dusters.

One thing I would have loved to have inherited from my Nan was her wild mink coat; it cost an absolute fortune new, and it's such a shame that these things are locked in a closet, the animals died to keep people warm, not hang in the dark. I'm glad mink farming and the like has stopped, but I can't see why the mink that are caught and killed in the UK to control numbers shouldn't be used in a similar way, and the money put back into the conservation of our native species, would be better than just killing and wasting the whole animal imo.

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

My mum had a musquash (dont think thats the right spelling) it was beautiful she went to london one very cold winter and wasnt so welcome in the jacket, she actually gave it to her friend in canada as far as i know they still wear them without a problem fro ohers

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Def no to fur, but on a pet forum surely everybody would be??:confused:
    I dont have a problem with wearing fur if you are from a culture that doesnt have a Millets but really, who needs to drape a dead animal skin around themselves anymore like a serial killer from Farthing Woods when even Artic explorers wear synthetic fabrics.:rolleyes:
    TBH I dont even wear leather, I just hate the smell...
    (although if I was given a vintage fur coat I dont think I could throw it out. Im sad enough that I would probably turn it into a cushion so nobody saw me wearing it but it could sit on my sofa and have a little stroke like my other pets!!!LOL):eek:

19. I'm with waterlily on this. I don't even like fake fur. I don't think it looks nice at all.

20. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

My Mother had a Musquash fur coat as well, she hadn't worn it for years & when she died last year we burnt it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice