Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fur balls

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bellini, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Millie has definately suffering for a few days now. The noise is just awful.

She's been out so she's had access to grass and other things that are meant to help her honk it up but so far nothing's come out.

Last night was the worst. Her whole body was going for it and she looked exhausted afterwards and came for a cuddle.

But no hairball.

We're seeing the vet on Saturday anyway for her boosters but can anyone recommend anything non-medical that I can try. She has de-fur-um treats and applaws dry which are meant to bring it all up, but nothing.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Have you got or already tried a malt vitamin paste either made by gimpet or beophar (you can pick those up in P@H and some supermarkets I believe)?

Might be worth a try if the grass hasn't helped.

3. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

I'll get some tonight. Thanks

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

More than half of the bulk of a hair ball is actually made up of undigested fat, and often really persisitent hairballs are not passed with the use of Catalax paste etc ( available from vets or online )
    Feeding Lecithin actually digests the blockage and allows it to pass through the system. It is a tasteless granule which can be added to food and will also help lower cholestrol. It may take a few days of dosing to be effective.
    Most Lecithin supplements ( eg the one that Holland and Barratt sell ) are soya based, and soya can disrupt thyroid function in cats. They will therefore be suitable only for occasional use...or crisis management as in this case! It is possible to buy egg based lecithin which can be used as a preventative over a longer period of time.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Are you 100% its a furball?

I ask because cats can suffer from a number of differnt coughs (bordatella aka kennel cough being amongst the most common), and they sound exactly like a cat trying to bring up a hairball.

Often its the lack of a hairball that the vets eventually test for bordatella.

Anyway, assuming your positive its a hairball i have no other advice to add to hobbs excellent advice, just wanted you to make sure (which i am sure you will at the vets) before going ahead with a home treatment.

6. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Well, she hasn't coughed so far today so I will hold off on any home remedies and hope she poops it out.

Saturday will be here soon enough. My vet is pretty good so I trust him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice