Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Funny poo since being allowed outside.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by coatesa, Sep 29, 2020.

1. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

Both our cats Nero and Zero, are 7 months old and have been on Animonda Vom Feinsten dry kitten food for quite a while. I don’t know if it is a coincidence but since they started going outside in August, Nero has been doing stinky pancake poos. Zero has stayed fairly solid although I can barely catch his poos because he does them outside and the dogs often beat me to finding them!

so mr Nero stinky poo is very fussy, and exclusively goes in the blueberry bush flower pot! He will also wee in the dogs bed if there is a poo in the litter boxes, bearing in mind these poos are done overnight so I can’t empty it in time for him to wee where he should. There are three litter trays so he has plenty of space he’s just fussy. But I’m going off tangent.

Before I pop to the vet, as he seems healthy in all other ways....how do I firm up his poo? Is the kitten variety of food too rich at 7 months? I know he’s still growing. The one with firm poo, Zero, also has carny wet food once a day but Nero doesn’t like it. Although I’m sure he’d eat the right variety of wet food, he just loves the dry food I give him. I don’t monitor how much they eat, there is always dry food down and they eat when they want to which tends to be mid afternoon and last thing at night. They’re a perfect weight and they don’t overeat. They are both active and spend the morning outside, are inside for most of the afternoon and then out in the evening til 8/9 when I call them back in

2. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

Anyone?

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@coatesa - unless Nero is eating some kind of plant in the garden I can't see the connection between his loose stools and him pooing in the garden. Although there is the possibility he has picked up some kind of bowel infection from another cat, as he is now going outdoors. However as you have dogs, I doubt you get visited much by neighbourhood cats.;)

To firm up Nero's poos, take him off cat food for a few days and feed him home cooked chicken thighs, legs or drumsticks.Serve with the skin on but without the bones and add a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid (stock) for fluids.

Continue with this diet until he passes a formed stool (it may be a few days before he poos at all) . Once his stools are formed you can gradually transfer him back to cat food, taking several days over the process.

It would be better to add some wet food into his diet than feeding him just dry food. Maybe not Carny though because it is high in offal content which ca cause loose stools in some kittens.

4. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

Thank you will do this. He used to only eat wet food and ignore the dry food but then went in the total opposite direction. Ive read some of your posts on other threads about how to get cats to eat wet food again so I’ll have a look. I think he liked smilla and feringa once upon a time so I’ll try him with those

chillminx likes this.
  5. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

So we’re back to solid poos, however he is eating the tiniest amount of chicken. He’s just not interested in it. I’ve tried dusting some wet food with ground up dried food, that didn’t work whatsoever. He liked the posh Sainsbury’s cat food but that’s quite expensive so it looks like I’m going to need to buy a load of different types from zoo plus and see what he likes. He’s started stalking the dry food container, he knows where it is, he sits staring at it meowing, sniffs at the wet food and walks off argh

chillminx likes this.
  6. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

We have success with Sheba fine flakes, I know there are issues with it but a step in the right direction. Still waiting for zoo plus to arrive but he’s having less dry food so we are phasing it out. He’s having crave dry food and two pouches of Sheba, just need to find a better wet food he will eat. He won’t touch smilla even the beef variety! I’ve ordered a few trial packs off the zoo plus list

chillminx likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I'm very pleased you've had success with the Sheba Fine Flakes; ;)

As you're keen to wean him off the dry food my advice is to put some in a screw top jar to keep in the kitchen, and then store the rest in its bag in an airtight container somewhere else in the house (i.e. not the kitchen) - a garage or shed being the ideal. At present with the bag nearby he can smell the scent of the dry food (which is a very strong scent) and that is why he is holding out for it. If he can't smell it, he will gradually forget about it.

Also his taste buds need "re-educating" to accept wet foods that do not have the very strong odour of dry food.

8. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

I can see why he likes the Sheba, it stinks!
    Have no idea what to switch him to after Sheba, I think Sheba possibly has too high a sugar content?

I’ve moved the dry food to the utility room, it’s in a clip lock tub so hopefully he will forget about it and bowls have gone through the dishwasher so hopefully don’t smell. The only issue is he eats his dry food on the cat tower so that the dogs can’t reach it but hopefully that will fade

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As I recall Sheba Fine Flakes has added sugars, but otherwise it's not too bad a food. If he likes it and it suits his digestion I would stick with it. I agree wth you it does smell vile though! LOL :Yuck

There are not many other similar wet foods, Felix AGAIL is probably the nearest, in terms of consistency. I can't think of any of the better quality wet foods that are similar to the Sheba FF.

10. coatesa

coatesa PetForums Newbie

I think I’ll play it safe with Sheba, as he’s barely touched the dry food I left out for transitioning.

however.....so the first pack I bought was a value box for around £10 (in gravy). At the next aisle I saw an ever bigger value box for £20 so got both. We’ve finished the smaller box and it was then I discovered the larger box was jelly. Didn’t think it would matter. Oh it mattered.....so I have had to go buy more gravy and mix half with the jelly to disguise it.so fussy!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice