Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Funny old day??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by springerpete, Aug 24, 2013.

1. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

It's been something of a strange day, the weather threw me for starters, looked like rain so dressed appropriately, the God of weather then decided to have some sport with me and the sun came out, wind dropped and I became too warm for comfort and I just cant be bothered with carrying a coat.
    The next worrying thing to occur was little Skye behaving totally out of character. In a stretch of approximately 100 yards he ran past at least five puddles and didn't dive in one of them, an event that caused me not a little concern. Fortunately these concerns proved unfounded because on crossing the ford at the bottom of the valley he reverted to form and performed the 'Getting plastered' ritual with his usual gusto. Good lad.
    Then, just as we were approaching a bend in the path, Flyte, who was ahead of me, suddenly gave outwith his 'worried' bark, if you know dogs you'll know this one, it's not aggression, rather a slightly nervous tone. Skye, as is his way whenever something slightly outside the norm occurs legged it back to me, Flytes bark was enough to cause him to seek a place of safety, the dog believes in the old adage that if in doubt, leg it. Having given another bark, Flyte also came running back to me, he too showed signs of coming across something outside of his usual sphere of existence and seemed quite agitated. We rounded the bend but whatever it was that sparked off this reaction in the big lad couldn't be seen and after a minute or two he returned to his usual self.
    I've been puzzling about this since I came home, the lads have come across most things to be found in the woods, rabbits, something to be ignored, foxes, the same, unless of course I'm not watching, then they can become something to chase. They've even come across the occasional badger on our late evening walks, none of these have ever bothered them, especially Flyte, who's big enough and confident enough to take most things in his stride. I guess it's one of those things that will remain a bit of a mystery, something to ponder over for a day or two and then file under forget it.

2. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

:eek: Maybe it was a Yeti!

If my dog's are scared of something I can't see, I take their word for it. They don't lie and aren't scared of much you can find in the woods... I would have become rather apprehensive myself lol.

Dog's instinct are so superior to ours...

I still think it was a yeti :)

3. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Could it have been an adder? Rascally things often wriggle off before you see them

4. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Can't wait for your book Pete!! You don't need a camera - your words paint the scene so I could picture all you described. And 'hear' Flyte's bark!

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Big dog only barks at very scary things such as a large branch sticking up out of the river or a tortoise. Terrifying :rolleyes: He never barks normally, proper gundog, not like the noisy youngsters :p

No pictures this week, Pete? :(

6. springerpete

Who knows.??????

7. springerpete

To be honest Cinnamon, since The Lady Rose arrived back from her sojourn in Italy. complete with 1267 photos on her Pink Camera I've been too busy sorting hers out to have any time left for my own work.....Just how many pictures can you take of St. Peters square????? Lots it seems.

8. springerpete

Possible I suppose but the dogs usually 'Point' them, they have in the past anyway.

9. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Better than mine then that just stare at them blankly...

10. cinnamontoast

Or big dog who likes to try to eat them! :yikes:

11. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Welcome back! Computer sorted?

I wonder what Flyte saw. I'm tending towards the yeti theory, myself. Wild vacuum cleaner?? That would make Rex nervous, he's scared of the domesticated ones. Dangerous Wild Animal?? Anything bigger than a rabbit gets Tess calling for reinforcements (ie Rex).

Maybe a stoat? They're nasty little citizens. They can vanish like greased lightning, too.

12. springerpete

Not the best of ideas???

13. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Hedgehog. They can't do much to them so just bark.????

14. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Indie gets spooked easily...a watering can in the garden, always in the same place, suddenly blew over in the wind - totally freaky needed lots of barking at by Indie to save the day.
    A monster in the bushes really needed barking at until I made her go up close and see it was a newspaper.
    Aeroplanes at night with their lights on....the list is endless :)
    At least your dogs seem a bit braver than Indie is!
    Jaz had easy to read body language, the only thing that worried her were badgers, if she caught their scent her whole body stiffened and she would circle away from the area. Sensible really.

15. cinnamontoast

Wasn't an adder, it was an exotic looking multicoloured thing, obviously non native. I had to drag him away, he was determined he was going to have it!

16. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I know that bark the last time I got it it was from the chihuahuas. We were out walking early one tuesday morning the 5 chihuahuas were on leads and suddenly started barking and whinning refusing to walk past a particular tree. I immediatley looked around to see what had alerted them it is often a person waiting for a lift to work who we don't normally see. There was nothing to see no one around.

Later on returning from work this is what I found this is the tree we were walking past when the chihauhuas started there barking and growling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say it has now made me very wary when the chihuahuas give out the warning barks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice