Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Funny moods

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Maxwell's Owner, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Maxwell's Owner

Maxwell's Owner PetForums Newbie

I own a small terrier and during the evenings when he is tired he gets in these funny moods and when he's in one if you touch him for a prolonged period of time he'll bite and snarl at you. When he's in these funny moods which dont seem to have a trigger, they occur usually when he's getting a bit tired, he becomes very nervous and if you move your foot and he's lying next to hit he'll growl and bite. In addition to this he's a nervous + aggressive dog and we find it difficult to groom him as he is constantly biting the comb or tring to run away. I was wondering what I should do when he's being aggressive and biting (normally I do that "shh" think that Cesar Milan does on his show and I try to remain calm and assertive, I make him sit and stand over him 'till he calms down) but also how to stop him being aggressive and getting into one of these nervous, sleepy modds.

2. brianbvs

brianbvs PetForums Junior

Its a hierarchy problem. You need to assert yourself as the alpha dog, there are many tips on the internet about this.
    My Dobe is also aggressive if disturbed when sleeping. If any other dog that is below her in the hierarchy disturbs her, she will growl and can also bite, but this is never the case if me I disturb her. Same thing when she is eating: I can take the food from her bowl, there is also another dog at my place who can take the food from her but if any other dog (which she considers below her) takes her food, then she will bite.
    I am looking for a very interesting document I downloaded from internet about how to assert yourself as the alpha dog and I shall attach as soon as I get it.

3. brianbvs

Here is that great document. Its gives clear steps to assert yourself as the alpha dog without being aggressive with the dog.
    NILIF - Nothing in life is free

Attached Files:

4. Maxwell's Owner

thnx for your quick reply and I've been trying to establish myself and other members of my family as pack leaders and he has gotten better but its a bit confusing for me because, I probably should have mentioned this in my first post, when he's really tired at night and he bites your foot then straight afterwards he starts wagging his tail as if he's saying "oops, didnt know it was you" (once he bit a ball that had dropped next to him). He has been getting better and these funny moods he has are becoming less frequent (when he's in one of these moods the whites of his eyes go red and he stares a lot at you but looks away when you look at him) so really I want to know what I can do when he bites and when he's acting strange as he does.

edit- btw I can't open tht file :(

5. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

hummm thats very interesting. tug of war games are usualy ok aslong as you always win and not the dog though:confused:

6. brianbvs

I've tried to convert to another format. Hope it helps

Attached Files:

7. Maxwell's Owner

Thnx but I've read a few sites saying similar things to that and I already try and practice those things

"1) Avoid confrontation. If your dog is aggressive, this is paramount for the success of the program. If the dog is continually placed in situations in which it feels the need to defend itself, aggression simply becomes a learned behavior. Example: If your dog attempts to guard a rawhide chew and you back away and say, "Oh well, just finish it then." What has the dog learned? It's learned that aggression works. If it wants you to go away, all it has to do is growl.---If the dog aggresses guarding a chewy, simply remove them from its diet altogether."

That bit doesn't really help me as I can't avoid moving when he's acting funnily and going to sleep and it doesn't say what I should do when he bites me, Cesar Milan does that alpha roll thing and I tried that on my dog when he tried to bit me but he ended up just shaking on the floor and I exerted very little force on him. I understand these methods of how to make myself pack leader but until we have him fully under control I want to know what I can do when he bites.

8. RachaelKeisha

RachaelKeisha PetForums Newbie

Hi, sounds like your little boy is suffering with nervous aggression which tells me he is very insecure, although yes you do need to make sure you become the pack leader you need to build a trust/bond up aswell.
    I would advise you, for the time bein, to try your best to not bother him when he is asleep, let him find out that he can fall asleep and wake up and nothing will happen to him inbetween, with time as you become the calm assertive pack leader he should start to trust you more.
    How old is he and do you have any other dogs. also does he go for walks much and if you have no other dogs at home does he have any other dogs he plays with when out for a walk or anything?

9. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Well Brian that attachment was really interesting it has given me a few tips. cheers for that :)
    Michelle

10. Tara30

Tara30 PetForums Newbie

11. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Can I ask at what times he is fed, some dogs can suffer from low blood sugar levels, which can result in behaviours such as aggression and touch sensitivity. Terriers are an act first think later dog, because of the job they were bred for, you may have to desensitise the pup to your touch.

12. Maxwell's Owner

Thnx for your reply.

He's 4 years old and we got him just over a year ago (he was a lot worse when we came), I walk him an hour a day, he is our only dog and he doesn't have any dog friends (when we go further away from the house, like at the park or something he becomes very nervous but when we're nearer the house he's either aggressive or he ignores other dogs). I've had him for awhile now and I would have thought he would have realised that nothing was going to happen to him by now as we aren't actively trying to disturb him (we think that he was beaten a lil because he gets very aggressive and fearful whenever any man picks up something large-ish but it's just a hunch). Its not when he's actually sleeping, it seems to be when he's in this weird mind-set which always happens whenever he's sleepy and you can tell when he's in this mood because his eyes go red, he stares a lot and most of the time has his tail slightly down and hangs his head and looks at you a lot, especially from the corner of his eye.

I'd really like to know what to do when he bites

13. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

To be honest with youit is difficult for anyone to give advice about what to do when it happens, you really need to consult a professional who will come to your house.

14. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

What can you do !!! other than say ouch lol .Jack Russels they are lovely little things with massive personalities at times unpredictable in temperament naturally highly strung. The whole trance like state he goes into is a bit weird though have you had him checked at the vets ? as for when he bites you could try saying nothing pick him up and put him in isolation either in the garden or another room for 10 mins dogs hate being ignored . but they dont understand you shouting at them or maybe telling them off in any other way .you could try the shaker bottle thing empty a small drinks bottle half fill with pebbles and have it by your side and at any given point he shows signs of agression shake it at him with a sharp No command

15. Maxwell's Owner

the vets said he's perfectly healthy (to someone's earlier post, he's not a pup but rather a 4 year old) and I'm not quite sure why u mentioned JRTs (he's a Yorkie), when he bites I can't pick him up (he tries to bite again) and I don't feel that giving a dog a 'time out' works as in my opinion in their minds they cant make the connection between this punishment and the offence which occured ten minutes earlier (in one of Cesar's episodes I think he said the same thing). I suppose we might have to get a dog trainer in if his problems persist (he is improving, however). Thnx for your replies

16. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Most sorry no offence meant at getting your dogs breed wrong must have miss read . you seem to have things covered then, so if a trainer is whats called for then thats cool , i guess there isnt much anyone else could sudgest to you . what works for some dogs doesnt always work for others . thats often the problem with reading books and watching the tv lots of ideas to try but finding one that cracks it for you . you sound a little at the end of your leash with it so maybe someone could sudgest a good behaviourist to you better to go on recomendation.dont think anyone person is going to give you the solution to what to do when he bites all we can do is sudgest what maybe we have tried or have heard has worked for other people .best of luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice