Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Funny mark on horse's leg

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by Melx, May 11, 2010.

1. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Hi everyone, Really need some advice!!

I went to the yard last night and my horse has been moulting weird lately, some places hair is completely coming out in almost pinprick sizes but I ruled this out to moulting as there is still some hair in the marks and it has basically gone, but last night I was picking her feet out and she had what looked like a kick mark on her hind right leg jsut avode the knee.
    Initially I did think she had been cought by the one of the others but once looking at the mark and feeling around it there is no cut, lameness and she isnt bothered when I go near it at all.

I am panicking it may be ringworm as my old pony had it and the mark is identical to what his was but she only has one mark on her leg and has never come into contact with it as far as I know. The only reason I am thinking rinworm is because the furr is spreading and coming away, almost like you could peel her furr off!

I am seriously panicking because I dont know what it is but I dont want to spend £35 on ring worm treatment if it is not it as ringworm is also not usually prone to legs and her having one mark on her leg sounds really strange if it is!!

Please can everyone give me their ideas because obviously ringworm is quite serious and would need to do something ASAP!! :confused1:

Thanks!!

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

maybe its a old scar?

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Is she out near sheep or other livestock? Could just be mites, you can get louse powder at any farm store.

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Some horses do moult like that.. Also if a horse/pony with no shoes on could have kicked her and not left a great mark..

Ringworm, skin looks a bit scaley when the hair comes off.. Crazy but true you can use Caneston that we use, on it.... I once got ringworm and only got one patch on my hand.. Caneston got rid of it.. usually comes in small circles... hope that helps. xx

5. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

I peeled the scab away last night and it turns out it is more than likely a kick mark where she has just been caught by one of the others because its is in the perfect shape of a hoof!

It is not bothering her as it has only removed the hair and I think the scaley skin was due to her skin being dry because she needs a bath and the weather hasnt decided to be nice yet for me to do this!! :mad:

I have covered it in wound cream and will check it tonight to see if there is any change!! :thumbup:

6. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

It may be moult it may be a scab if I was you I would just fork out the £35 on the worm treatment and then you know that your covered for that. I worm every year without fail :)

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Add a bit of linseed oil into her feed, I've not bathed my boy for years cos his coat is always lovely and clear. Stops him loosing all the natural oils by not bathing too much. ;) Plus if I remember rightly she's a bit of a poor doer? The linseed with help get her gut moving properly and can help with weight maintance. :thumbup:

8. momentofmadness

You worm for ring worm every year? Ringworm is a fungal type infection.. normal wormers you give oraly do not cover ring worm.

9. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Yes I get another form of paste from farmways every year and do them, only thing i do that for is because there was an outbreak in my area and rather than risk ive always done it. :thumbup:

10. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

@You cannot prevent ringworm as it is a fungal infection.
    Melx ringworm very rarely (if ever) starts on the legs so I would be more inclined to think this is a scab of some form either from a kick or an injury..
    Ringworm is inconvenient but not the end of the world but it really does not sound like it is to me.

11. momentofmadness

Thankyou for confirming that.. Having had horses for ever and working for dealers show jumping yards eventing yards and doing my exams and many years teaching you would think I would know..

lol

But it seems not..lol

12. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Believe me you never stop learning and that is the joy of horses I think.:)

13. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Where can I buy Linseed oil from? Her coat is improving alot just needs a bath to ease the scurf a bit and clear all the old dirt away as she obviously wasnt groomed consistently before I got her!

The Allen and Page calm and condition feed has helped alot with the condition of her coat so I am pleased but would definately add the oil if it would help!

Thank you all so much for the advice :)

Also I wasnt aware you could worm for ringworm?! My old pony had it and the vet never told me I could worm for it, just treat the skin when he had it?!? :confused1:

14. momentofmadness

Most feedstores will sell Linseed.. I used to feed biotin for my horses good for hooves and coat...

15. mandiecoons

mandiecoons PetForums Junior

soya oil is also very good for coat and skin anddd keeping condition on my 36 year old tbxc that used to lose condition in the winter months.

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Have to say worming for ringworm is a new one on me too!! Always was told it was a fungal infection that was treated if and when necc certainly not a thing that needs preventional treatment. Guess me and you momentofmadness went to the same school of horse learning!! Lol.

Any good feed shop should sell Linseed oil. Glad you found the Calm and Condition working, I swear by Allen & Page feeds they've been the making of my horses condition and weight gain after a serious stomach infection. He's also got liver damage and the low sugar contents of their feeds suit him so well. I did find after a few months on their feeds his coat and feathers improved dramatically too. :thumbup:

#16 JSR, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  17. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

I am still sure you can't worm for ringworm?!? :confused1: Lol

The Allen and Page has worked brilliantly and it has improved her coat condition alot!! I have been adding sunflower oil into her feed and she also has baileys number one and it is working perfectly :-D
    Albeit hyper, but she is happy so I am happy :thumbup:

This website really is brilliant for advice, dont know what I would have done without all the tips from on here!! all of her feeding is from advice form this site and for anything I am unsure about! Thanks everyone!! :-D

Also I have a physio coming out next week as she seems to be really stiff on her back when there is tack and a rider on.... Any comments from people who have had physio? :thumbup:

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

You'll get bored of me!! I have physio out every 3 months to my lad. I've quiet a heavy girlie so I just like to keep an eye on his back ...cos without him being fit I'm lost!!! I'm lucky our guy only charges £15 a session so it's cheap enough to do every few months. Usually nothing is wrong but I noticed a few week's ago Kane was dropping his hip when landing a jump and the physio confirmed he'd slightly moved his hip out of joint. Quick manupulation and a couple of days off work, then 5 days light work (no jumping) and he was back to his usual mad self!!! I think it's a good investement to have regular physio check ups they often pick up things that if left could develope into bigger more expensive problems!!!!!!

If nothing else Kane gets a good massage every few months...wish I could afford to do the same for myself!!!:lol:

19. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Well Star has been out of proper work for 2 years and she is now working 6 times a week for a short amount of time and will be building that up over the next few months, but it is making her back quite sensitive and getting on her is a nightmare and getting her in to canter isnt the easiest thing ever!
    The physio said from what I had explained she thought she probably just needs a good massage to ease her and put everything back where it should be!!
    Cant wait to see how she goes after its all done :thumbup: Some peopl;e have told me its like riding a different horse after physio!!

God!! Its costing me £50 and thats the cheapest around my area!! Thats quite depressing lol :mad:

20. momentofmadness

I don't know what area you are from.. But Mark Windsor (back man) round here is a super star... Now when you have your physio be sure to make sure your tack fits ok.. So many horses are ridden in ill fitting tack and there owners aren't aware.. It starts off good tack but horses change shape..:thumbup:

Also Guys I was trained by the BHS.... So there will be millions of us with the same opinion.. hahah
    Chin up.. Is your horse rugged up aswell.. Rugs can do some damage..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice