Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fuming!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MissShelley, Mar 26, 2011.

1. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

With Jon's bank! A couple of weeks ago we asked to fast clear a cheque, paid the £12 fee, and that was that. After 5 working days the cheque still hadn't arrived at the clearing bank, so we were told to get the issuer the cancel the cheque. Turns out that the cheque couldn't be cancelled because the bloody thing had cleared from the issuers bank :( Went in today, as I had the print offs that Jon had been given proving the cheque had cleared and Halifax weren't interested, said there was nothing they could do, it was down to the issuer to find out what had happened :mad: So where the chuff has the cheque been cleared too???? as it certainly isn't in Jon's bank! :mad:

Never dealt with anyone so unhelpful in all my days :mad:

Quick to write letters when you owe them money! When it's the other way round different story! :mad:

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

Sound like you need to scream banks are annoying when noone will help you

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sounds like it's been paid into the wrong account.
    Get the person who wrote the cheque to get a copy to see if it was altered in any way and ask their bank to put a payment trace on it.
    The problem with cheques is the bank thay are paid into don't keep a copy so any details need to be traced from the originating bank.

However if he paid it in in branch at the counter thay should be able to check there records for that day in branch which may help.

4. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Could try threatening your bank with the FSA Financial Services Authority ....if that doesnt work then try contacting the FSA anyway.
    They just helped settle a claim I had with Barclays finance :thumbup:

5. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Thanks hon. I will try ringing them on Tuesday ( next day off ) I just rang Halifax to see what they advised and the man on the phone was very helpful, although he couldn't look into Jon's account and speak to me about the case, he did say that they should of looked into the matter further.

6. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Typical of the Halifax I have to say. Hate that bank so much I moved to Lloyds TSB a bit back.. I don't have enough money coming in to have a current account with the halifax, so I could only ever have a cardcash account with them. I was never allowed to withdraw money or deposit money at the counter with them, and I could never ask them to check anything regarding my account at the counter, I always got sent to a phone in the middle of the bank because they "don't deal with THOSE accounts at the counter"......paupers money isn't the same colour as the working man's obviously!

They helped themselves to money out of my account to pay my halifax credit card when I'd fallen behind on a few payments, leaving me in the red, without an overdraft, and incurred charges to my account because DDs were refused. Every time they did so they had to put the money back in to my account because I only ever left enough in the account to cover the DDs. They then had to refund the charges, and also pay the fees for any failed DDs.

Moved banks in the end, one of the most ignorant set of people I've ever had to deal with. Most unhelpful.

7. jon bda

jon bda Guest

I think i'll be going elsewhere as soon as i can tbh, i'm just so underwhelmed by their lack of enthusiasm to find out whats going on. I know in the grand scheme of things its not a lot of money but its all i have!!!
    :glare:

8. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Well if its any help on choosing a new bank, then I'm with Lloyds Tsb. Have been since I was 15 and I'm 39 now. Never had a single bit of trouble with them.

They've been excellent at helping with my troubles of late and gone out of their way to fit me in for a meeting without an appointment.

9. Gilly and Jess

Same here. I get attended to on every enquiry immediately, and AT THE COUNTER instead of the paupers phone in the middle of the bank where everyone can hear my conversation.........and they have a system whereby should you go overdrawn, you have til 3.30 that day to get back in the black and not incur charges.....Halifax never did that, they once tried to zap me with a £35 charge for being 22p overdrawn for 12 hours!

They didn't get it, I fought them tooth and nail, even the lass on the counter admitted THAT was ridiculous. I was only overdrawn because they'd helped themselves to money they shouldn't have done and left me in the red....

10. jon bda

jon bda Guest

I notice the Halifax has a habit of paying any DD's or standing orders at about 6 or 7 am on the morning they're due...for 'some' reason if its the day my wages clear...they don't reach my account until after dinnertime...hmmm...

11. Gilly and Jess

Yup. I fail to understand why a cheque in a bank takes 5 working days to clear now, too. It used to be 3, why does it now take an extra 2 days? Yet when I've paid anyone with a cheque in the past it's gone from my account the next day??!!

Halifax are notorious for doing the "outies" before the "innies", that's how they click all their charges I reckon. I got to the point where I was working out which DDs were due from my benefit, leaving enough in to cover those, then removing the rest and keeping it at home so they couldn't help themselves to it. That way, every time they helped themselves, they HAD to put it back and pay all costs involved.

12. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Just some thoughts.. Shelley is your name on the account.?? If it isn't the bank cannot discuss any of the bank or Jons details with you. Unless he has verified in either writing or is there to verify..

Also there should be a bates number or a number. this is a clearing number and allows people to find the payment using this number..

Also Im with the TSB and they allow me till 2.30pm to put money into my account to allow anything due to go out that day..

Hope this helps.. :)

13. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Well, due to the last 'great' advice off the Halifax given to Shelley on saturday, i pestered my boss today to pester his bank to trace where the cheque had been paid too...

After an age on the phone, his OH tells me Santander have advised her to advise me that its up to the Halifax to do the chasing, not them as they have paid the money as requested, once its gone from my bosses account its not their problem anymore...

Back on the phone to the Halifax customer services, get a lovely guy on the phone who is disgusted by the lack of interest shown by my branch and takes my mobile number...

2 mins after i hang up from him, i get the manager of my branch on the phone to me, only too happy to help sort this out :rolleyes:. And i almost choke on my coffee when she tells me i need to get my boss to get his bank to send him a photocopy of the cheque from their end!!!. I informed her they already have a photocopy of the cheque from the day it was paid in but that one won't do...ffs!!!, surely there is a digital record of where this cash has gone??? How much longer is it going to take now ****ing about with photocopies of cheques in the post...
    :(

14. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

If you take it in by hand then you wont have to wait for the post.

15. jon bda

jon bda Guest

We both leave for work before 8 and get home after 6. Tomorrow is Shelleys day off which means assuming we can get a copy of this cheque sent out asap...she might be able to hand it in on saturday...if not, it'll be the following tuesday again. I just find it hard to believe in this day and age, they cannot trace a cheque electronically!!!

16. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Rung again yesterday...after ringing the general line and speaking to someone very nice...i get the local branch manageresssssssssss ringing ME 2 mins later. Again, not their fault, i need to get my boss to make his bank send a copy of the cleared cheque so they can see the numbers front and rear. Try telling them they already photocopied it before they sent it off, thats not good enough. Today bosses bank say we can't do that...ring Halifux again, get another very nice guy on the phone...hes sent off an email, hes disgusted by the treatment...asks if it'll be okay to ring me...on monday...after 8pm...because then he will be furious it seems...but, another f***ing week?

17. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

The bank who the cheque is from need to get a copy of it after it was processed for your boss - so your boss can see where it was paid in and any error can be corrected.
    Cheques are a nightmare - they are such an old fashoined way of making a payment, it's all paper based so no electronic records, the physical cheques are stored and if customers have any queries the cheques have to be manually retrieved.

I'd insist your boss pays by electronic transfer in future - if he has internet banking it'd be a simple transfer each week into your account.

I hope this gets sorted out soon.

18. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

I sympathise completely.

Natwest have lost one of my cheques for the second time in 3 months thanks to their stupid paying in machines. They hound you to use them, look at you in disgust if you refuse (which I had been refusing after the first lost cheque, but last Friday I was in a hurry and there was a queue so I thought, what are the chances it'll happen again?...:mad:)... NEVER again will I touch their stupid machines!!!
    They have no idea where my cheque has gone. I have the photocopy of the receipt that the machine gave me to prove in went IN to their machine, but they have no record of it coming OUT again.
    They were meant to phone me today to say whether or not they've found it but surprise surprise I haven't heard a thing :mad:

Lets hope both of us get our money sorted soon :(

19. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Big problem...my bank isn't a 'clearing' bank for cheques...my bosses isn't either. My bank has sent the cheque elsewhere to clear...which i think means at around this time, i'm totally fubar...
    :(

20. Gilly and Jess

That's bloody outrageous that like. I'd be fuming!! I do hope that the cheque isn't a months salary that is required for your mortgage or rent payment, otherwise you WOULD be up sh1t creek wouldn't you??

Absolutely scandalous how nonchalant they are about their customers money isn't it? Now if it was a cheque you were meant to have paid to THEM they'd be burning a hole in your phone line to find out where it had gone!!

Shocking state of affairs!! :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice