UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:mad5::cursing:

My son and partner have been looking for a cavalier puppy. I have had 7 cavs and currently have 4 so I do know a bit about them! We found a lady in birmingham with a litter of 3 with one ruby bitch available and made an appointment to view on saturday morning. I was on the phone for 30 mins with her telling her how much we as a family love cavs etc etc.The lady asked me to ring at 6pm tonight to confirm we were still going and were we time wasters??
I had written her address down but not her phone number and was on the lap top looking for her advert to ring and confirm we were going to visit when she rang me. I said oh hello, I was just looking up your number, are you still coming tomorrow she said. Yes I said, she said I have had 3 more enquiries, oh no we are definitely coming. Oh well she said I can only give you half an hour (!) I then asked was there a problem, she then said no and I dont want to go any further!!! I tried to ring her back and it went to answer phone so I left a message saying why did she put the phone down and why didnt she keep our appointment, I assume she had sold the pup because I was 10 minutes later ringing to confirm our visit so must be more interested in the money to not have at least waited for us to visit.
A few minutes later she rang me ranting and raving saying she didnt like my attitude when I asked if there was a problem (when she said she could only give us half an hour of her time when we had a 4 hour round trip journey!)
She ranted for a good 2 minutes without taking a breath saying how much love she puts into her puppies and she didnt know my son etc etc!! But we were going to visit the next day when she would have met him?? Very rude lady (!) I was gobsmacked. I had taken the morning off work on saturday to go with my son to see the puppy, my son had taken the deposit out of the bank. She was charging £700 a pup with no health testing of the parents (she owned both) and had told me the pedigree would be hand written (not proper KC ones) But she wasnt doing it for the money?? I think she had already taken a £200 (non refundable) deposit from someone else.
In hind sight I think we had a lucky escape. There are other pups cheaper with full health testing. Still cannot believe how rude she was though.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Just wonder why you were even contemplating this pup?

Lucky escape for sure for you, not the pups unfortunately :(
I was thinking this too tbh.

She sounds like she has a screw loose, people like that are best avoided. Those pups were obviously bred purely to make money.

G

·
Why on earth would you be contemplating buying a cav pup from non health tested parents!

I'd say you have had a very lucky miss!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know :crazy::crazy::crazy: But the 3 pups did look lovely, pure ruby no white, the grandfather of pup is a really good dog Jalesto I Was Born To Love You who had had all the health tests, she said the dam was 3 and had no murmer so as she was charging £700 thought they were ok.............

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Yes I know :crazy::crazy::crazy: But the 3 pups did look lovely, pure ruby no white, the grandfather of pup is a really good dog Jalesto I Was Born To Love You who had had all the health tests, she said the dam was 3 and had no murmer so as she was charging £700 thought they were ok.............
One of the most poorly breeds that are being bred at the mo with no health tests :nono:

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Sorry, am baffled. You tell us how experienced you are with this breed - and then declare you were happy potentially getting a pup from parents who weren't even health tested?

I don't understand this at all.

You had a lucky escape.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I am experienced with this breed, I have lost 2 with MVD aged 8 and 10 and 1 with spinal cancer aged 10. The one that died at 8 and the one that died of cancer were both from health tested parents. At the end of the day health tested parents doesnt ensure healthy pups although its a good start. As I said the father of the sire was fully health tested, the pups looked good- they were £700
I thought they would be healthy pups, I wasnt paying £250 from a puppy farm.

I didnt place the post to get an ear bashing, just wanted to share what had happened. I didnt have to put in the post about the parents only being vet checked for health but because I did I am getting grief about that.
I am glad my son isnt having the pup now, but poor pup is now born and still deserves a good home.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Definitely a lucky escape, she sounds like a charming woman!

Don't take the 'health testing ear bashing' too personally, there are just some very passionate people on here who feel very strongly about health testing. But like you say, it doesn't guarantee anything and no-one has the right to judge you on how experienced or unexperienced you are with regards to your breed.

I hope your son finds the perfect pup :)

G

·
Did you get her number off Gumtree?

Very very lucky escape. Doesn't sound like she would have been very supportive anyhow if you had've gotten the pup and then contacted her with some query later down the line.
Blessing in disguise for your family all round

G

·
I've a real suspicion about those type of websites. Nothing like word of mouth to source a good local breeder:001_smile:

What about the breeders you would have got your own cavs off? Maybe they could put you onto someone more reputable

Is £700 not very expensive for a cav? I think in Ireland they go for around 300 - 400 pound with KC registration and health checks etc

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The breeder I got mine from was an elderly lady who doesnt breed anymore, but she didnt breed solid colours only the blenheims and tris, and they want a ruby. I paid £500 - £550 and the last one I bought was 7 years ago so £650-£700 is what I would expect to pay for a good pup. I know there are a lot
of bad breeders churning out cheap puppies, I wouldnt buy one from those.
We have looked on The Kennel club and Champ dogs and there are a couple about 3 hours from us (one litters sire is the grandfather of the pup we were going to buy!) they are about £700 and are health checked, just further away and ready a bit early for them. I was hoping there might have been a cav breeder on this forum, thats how I recently bought my Birman kitten!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I know there are a lot
of bad breeders churning out cheap puppies, I wouldnt buy one from those.
Thats the problem though Rose, there are also a lot of bad breeders churning out expensive puppies! I think some people do tend to think expensive must mean good but sadly its not always true.

I hope your son is able to find a puppy from a responsible breeder, I don`t tend to think health testing is the be all and end all when it comes to good breeders but knowing so many people with unhealthy Cavs I would want one that has the health tests. Best of luck to you and your son I`m sure the perfect ( and healthy pup ) will be found eventually.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
sounds like a lunatic! :crazy: and a lucky escape

however high price tag dosn't = good quality breeder.
I don't know if anyone else on here knows any good cav breeders but maybe worth sticking a thread up and maybe someone can help you in the right direction to find what you want from a much better source. also dosn't the kc website have breeders and things listed on it you could look into? (not sure if I am imagining that though)

G

·
Seriously, just because a grandsire is extraordinary, doesn't mean that every pup is show quality, or even sound, In any top litter, AT BEST you have a pick of each sex. and SOMETIMES a 2nd pick, that have any chance of being extraordinary. Then there might be 1 or 2 2nd rate show, for people faffing about as amateur showers, then the rest are pet quality only, with show faults not acceptable and even unsound. If you have a litter, you will have as large a range of phenotypes, as your own children, to an experienced eye. If a pet quality bitch or dog then has a litter to another pet quality bitch or dog, by that stage, an International Show Winner, grand sire is almost a useless boast. Do you know what strengthe and weaknesses he throws? Do you know what strengths the bitch has? Are they both known for a particular weakness, as the actual parents of the pup?

Were they the pick puppies, or also rans? At that level, you have about as much guarantee of a SOUND dog, as a byb. Which is what she sounds like. Bybs can breed purebreds and KC registered purebreds can still be bred by complete fools who know nothing. All you actually have to do, is join, buy registered dogs, keep your paperwork up, breed from registered dogs, and pay your dues. Can be clueless nutters.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Where are you getting a 'bashing'???

What you've received are honest, well meaning, candid responses.

If you post on here that you are experienced in a breed, how can you THEN expect folk to ignore that you weren't bothering with all the health tests??

And so what if the father or grandfather was fully tested - you know full well both sides must be tested.

Perhaps you expected sympathy from us? I have sympathy for the puppies but sorry, not for you - YOU and your son have had a blinking lucky escape.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I wasnt expecting sympathy at all, I was just sharing an experience I had had. I didnt want sympathy, Im not hurt, just gobsmacked the way the breeder spoke to me. I wasnt asking anyone on here for advice I was just cross and needed to rant, a lot of the posts were just directed at the fact the dogs were not health tested, not the situation I was discussing.
Does your dog come from health tested parents? Half of my dogs were from health tested parents, still ended up with heart murmers and worse. One is an ex breeding puppy farm bitch from wales, so basically you are saying she should have been overlooked as obviously she is from untested stock. Funny I was just doing her a favour by taking her into my home, building her up and loving her for the rest of her life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.