Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Full-time foster?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by cat-lady, Jul 15, 2019.

1. cat-lady

cat-lady PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    For a while now I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life. I am still in school and I know that there still is some time left until I'm able to work but I still kind of felt the pressure of not knowing what I wanted to work as when I 'grow up' and it made me really uncomfortable. I have lately discovered a Woman helping neonatal kittens. She fosters them until they are old enough to get adopted. She also is a humane educator and gives classes about fostering kittens and may I just say : I am completely in love with this Woman. I adore her for what she's doing and wish to be just like her one day. It sounds cheesy but the thought of saving those precious beings makes my heart happy. The only Thing that I am worried About is Money. I wish I could say that Money is not important and I don't care About it but truth is: I do care About it. I not only have to care for myself but for other beings. I want to proudly tell People that my Job is fostering. I don't want that to be something I do next to working.
    Now I don't expect the shelters and rescues to pay me for that. I think they don't have the Money for that anyway. I really don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Thank you so much in advance!

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi cat-lady
    I can’t believe you’ve had no replies yet! You could get this moved to cat chat and then you would get lots more replies!
    Anyway, I would suggest you take a look at some of the animal welfare websites e.g Cats Protection and view their vacancies and read up on various job descriptions and requirements. These change all the time, so keep checking for new vacancies/job descriptions. If any jobs interest you, read the requirements and ask yourself if it could be you? You could do volunteer work initially eg the odd weekend doing all sorts of things to help. Fosterers don’t get a wage and like you said, you need an income, but I suspect with lots of experience, you could do very well in another role within a feline charity. Once you are earning a wage, there a many cats and kittens that you could help give either a temporary or permanent home to. You can claim expenses like cat litter, fuel, vet treatment etc, but you’ll need a roof over your head first. Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice