UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a few opinions as have read conflicting advice online:

I switched to Biokats clumping litter a while ago - love it!:) and am finding it really economical to use.

Cats litter tray is huge http://www.amazon.co.uk/Primo-XL-Li...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352274453&sr=8-2-fkmr0 as big cat is a monster ;) and have had problems in the past with him not using trays if he doesn't feel comfortable (can't fit in a normal sized one) & becoming constipated.

The tray is cleaned out 2 / 3 times a day with all waste removed & topped up as necessary.

Obviously due to the size of the tray, it takes the vast majority of a bag of litter to get it to the required depth - which is obviously wiping out the savings from the litter being so economical to use.

How often would you do a full litter change?

I've read that it needs to be done weekly (which personally I feel is too often if waste removed regularly and for a good quality litter), to fortnightly to monthly to even longer ....... TIA

G

·
After a few opinions as have read conflicting advice online:

I switched to Biokats clumping litter a while ago - love it!:) and am finding it really economical to use.

Cats litter tray is huge Primo XL Litter Tray, with Rim - 56 × 25 × 71 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies as big cat is a monster ;) and have had problems in the past with him not using trays if he doesn't feel comfortable (can't fit in a normal sized one) & becoming constipated.

The tray is cleaned out 2 / 3 times a day with all waste removed & topped up as necessary.

Obviously due to the size of the tray, it takes the vast majority of a bag of litter to get it to the required depth - which is obviously wiping out the savings from the litter being so economical to use.

I've read that it needs to be done weekly (which personally I feel is too often if waste removed regularly and for a good quality litter), to fortnightly to monthly to even longer ....... TIA
I buy the clumping litter from cost cutters (Cost Cutters own brand at £1.69 per bag) and Cuddles has always used this without problems. I get two bags a fortnight and the litter box is filled up with both of these. Full litter change each fortnight. I remove poops once a day and wees 3 sometimes 4 times a day. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does ... thanks :) as fortnightly is much more copeable with than the thought of having to do it weekly! (and it seems such as waste throwing it all away after such a short period of time!)

G

·
It does ... thanks :) as fortnightly is much more copeable with than the thought of having to do it weekly! (and it seems such as waste throwing it all away after such a short period of time!)
It's a bit excessive doing it weekly, plus it will get expensive doing it this often :)
I find the clumping litter easier to remove. I always use a litter freshner every day on the litter tray. Cuddles won't use it if she thinks it's dirty and no litter freshner has been used. :)

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the things I really love about the Biokats is the smell - it's lovely & fresh.

I did worry it might be too overpowering for the cats when I 1st got it but they seem to love it too!

It's also quite refreshing to sometimes walk in the front door, be greeted by the lovely smell & know that someone's obviously just visited the tray ;) and not have a bit of a whiff!

G

·
One of the things I really love about the Biokats is the smell - it's lovely & fresh.

I did worry it might be too overpowering for the cats when I 1st got it but they seem to love it too!

It's also quite refreshing to sometimes walk in the front door, be greeted by the lovely smell & know that someone's obviously just visited the tray ;) and not have a bit of a whiff!
I've tried changing the cat litter brand with Cuddles, she just won't use it and holds in until I put the cost cutter branded stuff in her litter box :) I have found that as cheap as the cost cutter brand is, it is the best I have come across and it does what it says it does, clumps :)

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhhhh don't we just love 'em!:)

Little monkeys!:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use Thomas cat litter for my 2 cats. I get through a 16L bag max in around 3 weeks? Sometimes 4 weeks, sometimes 2 and a half weeks. I clean out poo/wee around 3 times a day? And do a complete change every 2 or maybe even 3 weeks?

·
Registered
329 Posts
we use OKO and do a full change about once a month (we top up what is removed as we go as well, it doesn't seem to clump as good if it's not deep enough) And we clean out at least 3 times a day - in the morning when we're up, again when i get home, then again before bed unless in between those times Pickle drops a stink bomb and that has to go pretty quick haha!

·
Registered
205 Posts
i just use wilkinsons own brand, which seems good value and no smells, pick out the wee's 3 times a day and poo's as soon as i spot them.

full change approx every 3 weeks.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Complete cahnges for us are governed by when they need it rather than a time scale - but . . .roughly every 5-6 weeks.
Same here really, I think I only changed ours / well hers a week ago as it seemed like a good thing to do and I couldn't remember when the previous full change was. Scooped each time and topped up.

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Complete cahnges for us are governed by when they need it rather than a time scale - but . . .roughly every 5-6 weeks.
One indoor cat, raw fed (less poops) and Oko Plus. I do a full change about every 7 weeks. Cleaned twice a day and topped up once a week with a few cup fulls
Now ..... that's interesting as TBH there is no reason why the Biokats shouldn't last that long.

I've just done a complete change this morning and the stuff thrown away obviously wasn't as good as when it first went in as it'd lost it's fresh smell but it was by no means awful or pongy.

It just seems such a waste to throw it out when it still appears OK - just worried that it might be harbouring horrible things I can't see :eek:

G

·
I'm completely different. We use a very good clumping litter off the internet and keep it at a depth of 6-7 inches at all times. We never do a full change of the litter.

I scoop throughout the day and have two scoops. One for big lumps that the litter sifts through nicely, and one that picks up the really tiny bits.

The litter right at the bottom of the box never gets touched as we keep it so deep, so it's just the first 4 inches or so that get dirty and get topped up.

It does cost a lot to initially fill a box; it takes a whole bag I think, or maybe more. We buy 4 bags at a time and bought our last lot about a month ago. We're just coming to the end of bag 2 and only half of bag 1 was used for a big top up. So it's working out really economical and I love it that a.) my cats can always have a nice, large, clean area of litter to walk around on and b.) we only have one bin liner of clumps to dump a week instead of one bag a day like we used with wood pellets!

I have 3 cats and they all share a large tub but when we get number 4 I'll be introducing a second, smaller tub.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Having read the replies I feel like I am throwing money down the drain with my wood pellets :yikes:

I have to do a full change every couple of days and that with removing poos as so as (Tamiya will put her feet in them else!)

So are clumping litters the best way to go?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I rarely do a full change. Each tray that is used gets scooped 2 - 3 times a day.

Maisie has 2 trays which are currently full of OKO Cats Best, one has the last of the faulty batch which I tipped into one tray and filled the other one with the replacement bag. I will do a full change on one at a time, when the litter has broken down into dust, become smelly, or been subject to a runny bum episode. The new batch is lasting much better but am going to change to Worlds Best when it is finished.

Bob has Nature Gold pellets as he has carpet flooring and kicks it about, easier to clear up. He makes his last for ages, but have noticed it is going to powder at the bottom so he is due a clean tray and once the dust is removed I will put the good stuff back in if there is any left. His other tray has less in, he likes a choice of depth, so that gets a complete change fairly often.

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having read the replies I feel like I am throwing money down the drain with my wood pellets :yikes:

I have to do a full change every couple of days and that with removing poos as so as (Tamiya will put her feet in them else!)

I'd got to that point too ....... the quality of the wood pellets I'd been using seemed to be going down (was using a lot more) and the cost going up. I'd got to the point where I was spending around £20 / month!

Just checked on another forum that we had a "litter try thread" on and I switched to Biokats on 16 August.

I get the bags 2 at a time as they're slightly cheaper that way @ £14.90 for 2 x 15L bags Biokats Micro Fresh Cat Litter: Free P&P on orders £19+ at zooplus!

Since then, I've used just under 4 bags* so they've lasted 12 weeks which works out at £2.50 / week :)

* I have been using 2 x Bella Maxi covered trays which are huge 66L X 50W x 46H due to big cats size but have now changed to the Promo XL tray .... which is even bigger :eek: but only going to have the one! (which should hopefully cut costs a bit more!)

Even if it cost the same, I'd still stay with it - the cats love it and things are now buried which weren't before :yikes: :rolleyes5:which has helped with smells etc a lot and it's sooooooo much easier to clean out and keep clean than the wood pellets.

It is very heavy which is a bit of a pain but it doesn't track like some of the lighter clumping litters so I can live with that! HTH

G

·

Absolutely!!!

We used wood pellets before because we liked the idea of putting them on a compost instead of in landfills. That was fine at my old house (for a while), as we had a huge compost bin. But it was soon filled up from 5 cats and we had to start binning it. We didn't change the litter however because firstly we felt (even though we were binning it) wood pellets were "nicer" in some way, and secondly because I'd had terrible experiences with clumping litter turning to concrete and thought it would be an awful idea.

Then when we moved house in May this year we had to empty over 35 large bin liners of old, pissy wood cat litter down a local gravel pit (with permission!) which was because you can only dispose of one bag per week or something stupid and we just never had enough space in our bin for 7 bags a week!
We needed to change our litter set up and I found this video on youtube - (skip to 6:50 in):

Proper Care & Feeding of your Cat Litterbox 12.24.09 - YouTube

and all of a sudden I found out where I had gone wrong with clumping litter before!! We just never had it deep enough, and instead of the cats making nice little wee doughnuts, the wee was just reaching the bottom of the box, spreading out, and making a massive pissy pancake of concrete on the bottom of the box.

So, once you realise if you keep it deep, you keep it clean. You'll start saving money, have cleaner cats feet and floors, and the clumping litters (the good ones) are dust free and smell like baby powder. I have a lidded tub lined with a bin liner next to my box that I sift lumps in, and I will happily lift the lid and take a deep breath of that box. It's practically odourless unlike bags of wet wood pellet litter which just reek of amonia.

I'll get the name of the stuff I use. We've almost halved the amount of money we spend on litter now!

G

·
Just wanted to add that she doesn't keep her litter as deep as I do. I used to have it 4 inches, but I found my cats were managing to pee to the bottom. My cats pee for England. Osiris especially does enormous horse wees so I have to keep my litter deeper to prevent it from reaching the bottom. But that's the key really.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.