Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Frustrating situation -.-

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maiisiku, May 30, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Sorry need to rant..

Spoke to my landlord on thursday last week about getting another cat (already have 1) He said 'I don't see any reason why not, but I'll let you know on monday'

I was home on Saturday (our floorboards are being fixed) and my landlord said he didn't really want me to get a cat in the first place and his wife would make the decission.

I compleatly respect that it's his property but given that I already have a cat, what diffirence does another make? It's not like I'm asking for 5! I will stop at 2 and be quite content with it :(

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Cats are outdoor animals anyway arnet they, so dont say anything, hopefully the cat will be out in the sunshine if he ever called on you. I was told no more dogs after my two, but we got a third. Moved into this house and now got 2 more lolol. They dont do any damage so I kept quiet.

3. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I'm getting her from the RSPCA even though she was my friends, my friend was contracted to return her. So I'd be adopting her from them. They require a contract. My cat was already indoor when I found her at 6 months. So she stayed indoor. This is also an indoor cat. I could get away with it and take one to my grandad's house... but I don't want to have to do that. It seems unfair on the cat and anyway I can't get her without the contract.

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

You have to have your landlords signature to agree to it do you??? Bummer, well I hope you work something out xx

5. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thanks so do I. It's really upsetting really. I wouldn't be quite so upset if he hadn't have said 'I can't see any reason why not' which led me to believe the answer was a more definate yes which would be confirmed on Monday. Now I've had to wait 2 days wondering if it's going to be ok. I really hope so because the cat I want to adopt is really lovely and I really want to hurry up and bring her home!

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i hope it turns out ok and you are able to adopt her.

i dont see why they wont let you get another one if the one you have hasnt caused any damage but some landlords just like to be a pain :frown:

7. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

this really gets on my nerves, what are landlords problems with animals?

Why dont they ask for a higher deposit to cover any "damage" done by the tenants pets and allow them?

If i ever rent out a house animals will be welcome :thumbup:

8. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thanks guys, it is quite frustrating. The way I see it is I already have 1 she hasn't destroyed the house so why can't I have another? It is actually because I don't think he likes animals or he said he didn't really want pets in this house. But I already had pets when I moved in and he knew this when he contacted me for my advertisement.

I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs and I might get a coffee soon... it's going to be a long day....

9. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

When are you expecting to hear Hun

Fingers crossed

x

10. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

same here!!

landlords are a pain in the arse!

i dont know what their problem is. i had permission from mine to have a dog but i had to pay a £200 pet deposit. she's chewed some of the carpet which should be covered now.

i dont know why he couldnt tell u there and then, whats the wait for. i hope it goes ok x

11. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

We used to rent one of our properties (abroad) and initially had no problem with animals (we have loads ourselves) but you wouldn't believe how disrespectful people are when the stuff in the house is not their own. On more than one occasion we had our furniture absolutely destroyed by the dogs these people owned. And by furniture I mean the dining table and chairs, the sofa and coffee tables- all chewed and ruined. Along with the doors being scraped to bits. It's unacceptable.

There's only so many times you can take your things being ruined.

I know not everyone is like this- and we did screen tenants- but there are enough people like that for it to be too great a risk to property owners. Irresponsible people and their pets are a liability.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

OH!! Are you Sara? :)

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I completely understand this as you can't predict a dog or cat never ruining everything.

Our house was unfurnished so all our stuff is our own but we are going to replace a few doors when we leave (scuff marks and Luna went through a stage of busting through doors). I don't mind, I'd be mightily pissed off if someone came to my house with their dog and it wrecked everything.

14. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

This is the reason why i didn't want the landlord to keep his bookcases or table down here and put it back in the loft. But he wanted them down here. Everything else is ours. My sofas, beds, diningtable etc. Bailey has been very wellbehaved and he has done a full house inspection on the weekend while fixing the floorboards. He said Bailey hadn't done anything wrong. But his wife has to make the decission. He said he'd tell me today so I'm going to wait until about 6 before trying to make contact so I don't harrass him. <- I have to force myself because I have a tendancy to annoy people >.>

Sequeena: Did Leah tell you about me wanting to adopt Pepsi? I'm going out of my mind with worry! The landlord knows the situation with Pepsi and he has no sympathy at all. I hope he tells his wife, she has a soft spot for animals I think and she might say yes on that bases. I hope so anyway!

15. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

As I said I do understand it's his property. The only furnature he really has is the table and the bookcases. Everything else is mine. I've had Bailey 6 months now and he did an inspection. As he saw she hasn't destroyed anything so I thought whats the deffirance between one cat or two? He said flat out no to dogs because they are too destructive.

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Yes hun I've followed the situation. I wish I could have taken her but between cotton being pregnant and Luna it's just not possible :(

I hope it all turns out well, I think Pepsi would be perfect with you!

17. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thanks! So your the one with Cotton!!! She is geourgous!!! I saw pics of her on Leah's wall :D I really think Pepsi would do well here, the downstairs floor is wooden so if she does have an accident it could be cleaned easily. She'd have a friend with Bailey and lots of food and love! I'm already attached to her. Hubby even said yes which is something short of a miricle!

18. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i understand where you're coming from but to tar everyone with the same brush is unacceptable to me.
    If a black guy left the house in a mess you wouldn't say "Oh we're not having any more black people renting the place" would you tho?

I am happy to pay a higher deposit in order to have my pets. They have done NO damage to this house and we've been here over a year. Did you not consider asking for a higher deposit from people with pets to cover any damage??

Shorty has dug a few holes in the garden which i will fill in when we move out of my own pocket.

It really annoys me as my pets are my companions, i am alone with them for 12-14 hours a DAY till my OH comes home from work i suffer from depression which would be a hell of alot worse if Shorty and Squeak weren't here to keep me company :)

rant over lol. . :blush:

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Yes I'm the one with Cotton lol :D

I hope you can get her poor Leah is dealing with a lot of stress :(

20. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I think what the landlord was most concerned about was carpets. He was worried she'd destroy the carpets and didn't really want me letting her in the bedroom. The rest of the house has wooden floors. The thing is he has a nearly £800 deposit and I pay cat rent of £12 a month which he said he's saving toward damages. So I think that would cover it right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice