Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

frug puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by acomb1, Jan 19, 2018.

1. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

Hello all,
    First off, I am a very experienced pug breeder, and take it very seriously. I’ve been doing it for 10 years now, and have had 7 successful litters. I have a female fawn of my own who is 2, who I am considering breeding with a male grey Frenchie. I’ve seen frug puppies before, they are adorable and great dogs. I am just wondering if any of you have bred frugs before, and if you have, what colors were the parents, and what colors were the pups? How many did you have? Were the pups ears up or down? Any complications? Any info would be great!! Thank you in advance for reading this post.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum.

What benefit would there be to crossing a pug and a French bulldog? Is it just that they look cute?

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I am going to disagree with you on this point. Crossing two Brachycephalic breeds is bad combination which will often result in dogs with complex breathing issues. If you are an experienced Pug breeder you will know that both these breeds are highly susceptible to Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome and breeding them together will do nothing to improve this area of their health.

All puppies are adorable. But adult dogs with breathing difficulties are not.

J

lorilu, Katalyst, dorrit and 20 others like this.
  4. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

I am very aware of specific health problems pugs and frenchies are prone to, but that being said, they are still happy and loving dogs. They can live long and happy lives with caring and responsible owners. In fact, I have a 14 year old pug who i rescued when she was 6 months old who is happy and healthy. I would never breed just to create a ‘cute puppy’. Crossing the breeds does not make any of the ‘breathing problems’ either breed faces any worse. Frugs are known to inherit positive qualities from both of their parents, including their temperament, coat, agility, and more.

Although you did not answer any of my questions, thank you for your input. I know what I am talking about, and the best interest of dogs is always my first priority.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If you know what you’re talking about you’d know that crossing two breeds is a lottery - you could get the positive qualities from each parent just as easily as the negative qualities, or any mix in between.

Jackie C, adamantis, lorilu and 11 others like this.
  6. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

Obviously; however, maybe you are not a Frenchie or a Pug person, but in my opinion there are not very many negative qualities in either breed. The only negative aspects of either breed, is their susceptibility to breathing problems, in which they have in common. Otherwise, they are amazing dogs and I would be thrilled to have any qualities of either breed in the offsprings.

7. Jamesgoeswalkies

You can't simply dismiss their 'susceptibility to breathing problems' as their only negative as if it's a flaw in their colouring. It's a massive negative and in my opinion as a breeder you should be fighting for the improvement of health in your chosen breed not dabbling in breeding programmes that may exacerbate it.

And no, I can't help you with what colours the puppies may be. It's genetics though so can be worked out quite easily.

J

8. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

It seems like your problem is with pugs and frenchies, along with trying to be a know it all. Considering this is not what the forum was about at all, you could’ve just kept your ignorance to yourself. I currently have 7 pugs ranging from 6 months old to 14. I’ve never had a pug die younger than 14. None of my pugs are in pain, or have trouble breathing, they are all healthy and happy as can be. All vets I have encountered love my pugs and say they are in great health, despite issues pugs are prone to. It is just important they are taken care of properly and monitored. You really must not be familiar with pugs, and you must not have one of your own, which I’m glad, because it doesn’t seem like you’re very fond of them. So you might want to stick to your breed of choice, and stop bashing others.

9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Crossing two of the least healthy breeds on the planet together, great idea, not.

ALL extreme brachy breeds have trouble breathing naturally because of their physiology.

Everyone who defends these breeds always claim their vets said they are "in great health"; well anyone can make that claim. It doesn't mean anything. By definition, dogs bred specifically for severe physiological deformities are not and will never be in great health. I suggest getting both dogs spayed and neutered and enjoying them as pets rather than adding the growing problem with these breeds.

Jackie C, adamantis, lorilu and 13 others like this.
  10. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

Obviously you’ve never owned a pug, and have seen how happy and loving they are. If my vet looked at my dog and said there was something wrong, I would take it very seriously. I wouldn’t ever lie and put words in my vets mouth. Besides the fact, I love all dog breeds, even ones i have never owned, and would never put so much hateful energy into bashing another breed. So, it seems like a person problem. Like I said previously, unless you’ve owned a pug and seen how amazing they are, I would never expect you to understand. Why would I want to aid in the discontinuation of such a great breed? Like I said, none of mine have ever had health/breathing issues or early deaths. Keep your negative energy away from pugs please, they deserve so much better.

11. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Being rude to people on here is not going to get you to far I'm afraid. This is an open forum and and you are not able to dictate who answers your thread and what they might say even if not what you wish to hear. We are a forum of pet lovers and this includes pugs and Frenchies.

Both breeds suffer from a number of health issues besides BOAS,, will you be health testing for these?
    Unless you have both the dam and sire, I doubt very much that the owner of a well bred and health tested (not health checked by a vet, but specific tests) is going to allow it to be used to bredd with a pug in order to breed a litter of crossbred puppies. I have absolutely nothing against crossbred dogs before you jump in here, but I do have a huge issue with breeders who breed dogs whether purebred or crosses but do not do any health testing at all and just claim that the dogs are totally healthy because the vet said so. Breeding two dogs have have a number of severe health issues thinking that they will all magically disappear jusy won't occur. And before you tell me I must hate pugs and know nothing about them, well I dont, I think they are great little dogs with bags of character, but I am very angry with people who continue to breed and not consider the health issues within the breed and don't bother testing for those issues.

NFC slave, Jackie C, lorilu and 9 others like this.
  12. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

You can’t tell me all the people on here love all breeds of dogs, while they continue to bash certain breeds. Like i said before, I am a very responsible breeder, and that includes health tests. I would never breed dogs without performing health tests. I have never bred anything besides purebread pugs, I simply came on this forum for more information on frugs, and have been bashed ever since.

Thank you for your input though. I know none of you know me, so it’s easy to think you’re doing the right thing by trying to stop inexperienced, greedy breeders that aren’t careful. But that just isn’t the case. I am the most responsible breeder I know, and again, the dogs interest is always my number 1 priority. Again, this is why I will not tolerate people saying pugs are no good.

13. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I don't need to have owned one. I have, however, seen plenty of surgeries where they have had their eyeballs removed due to protrusion, and had to have surgery on their soft palate/nostrils to help them breath. They seemed to keep the veterinary dermatologist busy, and the ophthalmologist said they kept her in business too.

It's not the dogs themselves, it is completely the way they have been bred by humans and honestly, it's a travesty.

lorilu, FeelTheBern, MiffyMoo and 6 others like this.
  14. Jamesgoeswalkies

Thank you. By the way, I'm not a 'know it all' lol but a prolific reader with an interest in all aspects to do with dogs.

May I suggest you read this .... (the summary will do as the article is not accessible to all I know).
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090023313004280

The suggestion that the two breeds mentioned in the study should be bred together is a red flag to me.

J

15. acomb1

acomb1 PetForums Junior

Can’t relate, none of my pugs have ever needed a single surgery due to any health issues, including breathing problems. As a matter of fact, my 14 year old pug whom I rescued when she was a puppy, is blind in one eye due to a scratch caused by her previous openers neglect. And even with that happening, she never needed a surgery at all, and the eyeball is still in causing no problem at all. I keep in touch with all the dogs from my litters as well, none of them have ever needed any surgeries.

16. danielled

danielled Guest

Nobody is breed bashing. Breeding pugs with any other brachy breeds is a very bad idea. I have seen plenty of pugs but don’t own them. If I were you I wouldn’t go ahead with breeding a pug with a frenchie.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Pointing out the inherent health issues within certain breeds does not constitute 'breed bashing'.
    I'm not against crossing pugs or Frenchies either, just not with each other. Cross either with a dog with a longer muzzle (and ideally a less stubby body), it's a step in the right direction - they would be able to live easier, more active lives..

lorilu, Jemymah, FeelTheBern and 10 others like this.
  18. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I'm sorry, I have to agree with the others. I'm not an expert on breeding but I do know that both breeds suffer with breathing difficulties and crossing two breeds that suffer with breathing problems is not a good idea IMO. Now, I'm not breed bashing, pugs do have lovely personalities but WE have bred these animals to have inherent problems, a healthy pug, is never truly healthy IMO, when they have those squashed up faces that affect the breathing.

If you want to cross your pug, could you not cross it with something with a longer muzzle? You could then get some pups who may not struggle so much with their breathing. There are plenty of lovely dog breeds out there without the problems of pugs or frenchies.

You may have had your pugs that live long lives, but that doesn't mean they don't have difficulties with their breathing. It's something we're so used to seeing in brachies (the snoring, the panting etc) that I don't think people really think about it now

Yes frugs are cute puppies. But i don't really understand why anyone would have one of those over a purebred pug or Frenchie? What benefits does a frug have that the purebreeds don't? I would ask yourself those questions before crossing any breed.

19. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

It's because people on here love all dogs that they care enough to comment on the inherent health issues brought on from breeding for increasingly flat faces, pinched noses & skin rolls.

People don't need to 'know' these breeds to see there is something wrong with breeding animals for ever more extreme morphology, unfortunately there is a lot of cognitive dissonance ingrained within the brachy breed fancy.

To use an example, if I were to take my dog & pinch her nostrils together so she just has slits to breathe through & then hold them in place like that, for the rest of her life, I would be committing a serious welfare issue.

Yet it's OK, even encouraged in some quarters, to breed dogs that suffer like this from the minute they're born until the day they die, & for some to have to go through surgery, which carries its own set of risks with brachy dogs, just to breathe a bit easier?

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The RCVS don’t agree with you

18EE45C0-F293-41CD-A4A7-467033DA4C1B.jpeg

If your dogs are so healthy and without extremes of these inherent deformities (and you are ethical as you say you are) why risk producing a litter with the potential for worse problems?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice