Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Frozen raw bones

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Old Shep, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Is it OK to feed these straight from the freezer as a treat?

My dog is on ordinary dry food which is unproblematic. I feed him some raw bones every other day and have just bought a load which I have frozen. Do I have to defrost them before feeding them? He can be a bit shy with his food so he may be put off with the texture anyway.

2. I really don't have any idea if its ok or not but I would of thought a frozen raw bone would have the same risk as a cooked bone as it wouldn't be soft.

3. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

You can do but personally I don't really like to, I think it makes them even harder than when defrosted. I do feed chicken carcasses from the freezer because they start to defrost quickly any way, but harder bones I defrost first. I get a little concerned that it will harm their teeth.

4. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Thanks for that. I never thought about them being more brittle. It's not really a problem to take them from the freezer overhight anyway.

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I've been to my garage many a time in the early hours having forgotten to take the food out :rolleyes: always hope the neighbours don't think i'm a prowler, lol. :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice