Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Frozen Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by blossom21, Nov 19, 2012.

1. blossom21

blossom21 PetForums Senior

Sorry if this topic has been posted elsewhere. In certain pet shops you can buy the frozen chicken mince/lamb mince/tripe mince etc. Can anyone tell me if they know how nutritous these actually are.Many years ago when I had my yorkie and chihuaua they adored the tripe one.

2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I personally don't like them, they have a very sloppy watery texture.

Are you wanting to feed them along side kibble or feed them solely raw?

3. blossom21

With Kibble not on its own.

4. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I don't like them either, bought a couple of rabbit/chicken ones recently and they just look grey and sloppy when defrosted. I have been buying the tripe for a few months but that's only because I can't get it anywhere else.

I won't be getting anymore minces in.

I prefer whole meats for Lucky, looks more appealing and Lucky prefers it :)

5. catsandcanines

catsandcanines PetForums Member

If its the prize choice minces I add 25% of steamed, mashed veg to Sadie's 400g block plus fish oil, but she doesn't have kibble.

What kibble are you feeding?

6. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I'd rather add extras in like chicken wings or lamb ribs, or any bits you can get from the butchers. Alot better then the frozen blocks

7. Pinkchi

Pinkchi PetForums Member

I use the prize choice blocks/mince at the moment

Not had any issues with it except louie refuses to eat the turkey one now, but ate it fine to begin with and eats all others fine.

It is fairly watery....but was easy to get and use while I had limited freezer space. Now I have my own dedicated raw freezer will be ordering from a raw supplier/butchers.

Nothing majorly wrong with it, its done its job and the dog seems to like it, though I also feed chicken wings/thighs I get from tesco and also the prize choice beef chunks

8. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

Hmm, well actually I would say its far superior to most dry foods. Its not complete on its own as I'm sure you know.

Its fairly poor quality as far as raw goes, but ther is nothing actually wrong with it. Its just some of us get some fantastic deals from our butcher and suppliers like Landywoods etc and this mince seems a poor second.

There is absolutely no reason not to feed it to your dog, and mine have it now and again when I either want to introduce a new meat or am running low on stocks etc.

9. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

I use them as part of a raw diet, usually tripe and rabbit when I cannot source anything else.

Not the best quality in the world but reasonably priced and readily available, useful occasional addition to a good diet IMO

10. Camron

Camron PetForums Newbie

Really nice talking about Frozen Food, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about frozen foods, guys, before read this thread, i have no proper information about frozen foods, but after read this thread, i have some proper information about Frozen Food, it's really nice guys, keep it iup......

11. blossom21

I have read a lot on here about chicken thighs/wings and I know there cheap.But I always worry about the bones,as I always believed they could splinter and choke the dog. Brambles kibble is Chappie and before anyone has a rant,this is what he was on when he came to live here. But since being with me I add meat (various) and he has put on weight and muscle, so Im doing something right. Where he wasnt exercised much before he had literally no muscle tone, now he's a strapping lad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice