Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Frontline spray dosage for 2 and half week old kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gentoo1980, Aug 23, 2013.

1. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Hi, I've enjoyed reading the forum for the past few weeks and now need some advice regarding flea treatments for two and a half week old kittens and thei mum.

Before anyone sugest asking vets I've already tried that wedsnday, yesterday and again today. Was told the vets in again today but I said I don't mind talking to another vet as she hasn't phoned me back past two days but receptionist wanted the same vet who prefomed the cizerian on my cat to contact me. Hopfully she'll phone up by the end of today but figured I'd ask here in case she doesn't.

So anways on Monday I used Frontline spray on my two week old kittens. I had trouble working out the doasge as it only has adult dosages on the pack (the spray is for kittens from 2 days old as well though) so when I phoned vets recepitonist wasn't sure so we decided bewtween us one spray per kitten (their weight was between 240-260g at the time) it didn't soak their fur all over but I wasn't sure if it should.

The doasge on the pack is 6 pump per 1kg. So at 240g I guess I should have given them one and a half pumps? which should have been easyily done as I was spraying latex gloves then rubbing it on the kittens.

They now weigh between 300-336g am I ok to spray them again and what dosage? Or should I just do what I was going to do originally and bath them to try and drown the fleas? I've never bathed a kitten before, did try an adult cat once and it used my torso as a ladder to escape so never attemtped it again. If I've to bath them how should I go about it?

Also the mum was fleaed with fronline spot on four weeks ago this sunday so hoping to do her again tomorro. I was wondering what flea treatment would be the best to use as she's nursing. I have frontline spot on and frontline spray.

Thank you for taking the time to veiw this post and hoping someone will pass on the same adivce that they've recived in the past from their own vet,

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome to Pet Forum:) Frontline flea treatment is no longer fully effective, as the insecticide it contains (fipronil) has ceased to kill all fleas.
    So my advice would not be to use it but to use one that is known to be effective, e.g. Advantage or Activyl. Although Frontline will have killed some of the fleas, so it is surely better than nothing.

However, it is a number of years since I had tiny kittens in my care, and I cannot tell you whether it is safe to use Advantage or Activyl on
    2 week old kits, because neither of those products were around when I was bringing up kittens. So you would need to take advice from your vet. Also maybe one of the breeders on this forum will be along soon and able to advise you.

I would not bathe kittens who are only 2 weeks old as it is too easy for them to get chilled at that age, with serious consequences. I would not bathe kitten until it was at least 6 weeks old, and even then you would have to be cautious about preventing a chill.

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I use frontline spray on kittens from 2 days old if they have fleas, one pump on a cotton wool ball rubbed under tummies and under back legs avoiding where the cord has been, then rub one stroke along their back, this should be enough to kill fleas, any other fleas seen will need a flea comb, if you only treated monday dont do again for another week.

On mum use a product safe for lactating queens, not sure the best product as i havent needed to use this for a while, frontline drops dont work, ask about advantage probably best option but read the packaging.

I wouldnt bath kittens this young, if they get a chill it can take ages to get them back to body temperature and a chilled kitten is at high risk of dying so be very careful with this method.

4. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Thanks for the welcome and relpys. Vet actually phoned up straight after I posted thread and said I could spray kittens with two pumps and it's safest to use the spray on mum. I'll spray them later today so it's a week since they last got done.

I didn't know fleas had started to become immune to fipronil, thanks I'll start using advantage from now on.

I'll defeinently not bath them then. I considdred it other week when searching google for flea advice but was scared I'd make them ill.

Many thanks Sarah

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice