Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Frontline/Drontal

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emma Kuma, May 11, 2010.

1. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

Hello :)

Taking Kuma vets this evening for her second jabs & worming treatment, she is itching alot lately and think she may have fleas, i have tried looking in her coat but as shes like a teddy its very hard to see anything in her fluff!

If the vets confirm that she has fleas shall i pay their extortionate prices for flea & worming (drontal)treatment or shall i buy some cheaper online from a reputable company?

Just wondered what you all did?

Also do you know hiw much vets charge for the worming?

xx

2. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

Some vets charge £1 per tablet for the worming process others i HAVE KNOWN TO CHARGE £5 each tablet.

I was refereed to a website from somebody on here where you get a six month package for £30 that includes frontline every month and worming tablets every three months! I will try and dig out the website!

3. Imbali Sue

Imbali Sue PetForums Newbie

Hi Emma,

It is always cheaper to buy flea/tick treatments, wormers and medications on-line than buying from your vets. I would happily buy from my vets if their prices were competitive but they are extortionate. Have a look at VetUK (Vet UK: Selling Hills Prescription Diet, Frontline Spot On, Royal Canin, Feliway, DAP, Drontal, Hills Science Plan, Seraquin, James Wellbeloved for less.) as I find their prices extremely competitive and they now offer a "loyalty" scheme. I recently bought Drontal wormers 4 for the price of 3 (ie 25% reduction off their normal prices) this bought the price down lower than any of the offers available at Crufts this year, with 5 Ridgebacks this means a considerable saving. Re flea/tick treatments - again look on-line and search out offers, VetUK have a very comprehensive website including food, prescription and non-prescription drugs, toys etc., their prices are hard to beat. If you are travelling to the Continent have the UK prices with you and then look in the Chemists as these are sold over the counter, I used to buy them in France when I was showing my dogs overseas. I gather Kuma is only about 12 wks of age - I would be very careful about using any chemical agent on such a young pup, check this out thoroughly if you go down this line. Alternatives are to include garlic in his/her food (buy capsules from Healthfood shops - look out for offers or get garlic powder from a horse feed merchants/tack shop) or bath Kuma using some vinegar in the rinse water. Garlic and vinegar tend to deter fleas. If you don't want to bathe Kuma just yet try putting some vinegar water in a plant mister/spray gun and spray this into his/her coat working from head to tail. Lastly, look at what you are feeding as many commercial kibble foods cause skin irritations and problems. My dogs are fed a premium raw food diet and their skin is wonderful. If you look through the various threads you will find recommended raw food suppliers.

Regards Sue

4. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

Yes Kuma is only 11 weeks old, and i dont want to use anything harsh on her gorgeous puppy fluffy coat! She is fed on Pro Plan and has only just started itching, its not something shes done from day one

Thank you for all your information :)

Fab website, thank you :)

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice