Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

front strap harnesses debate...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Muri, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Muri

Muri PetForums Member

I havebeen researching some harnesses for my dog and was also considering the Julius K9 Beltharness (the lighter one, not the saddle one) for some time. But than some people said that the strap crossing the shoulders is not ideal. So I did some research, but couldn't find a whole lot..

But I came across this article...

The No-Pull Debate - Whole Dog Journal Article

Basically it talks about the front clip harness but it seems to me that the front strap going across the chest and crossing the shoulder is the problem - because the dogs altered their gait even when harness was worn off lead...

I would love to see the original study and if there are also other studies on dog harness designs...

If anyone finds something, please share it here :)

2. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Sorry I don't have anything legit to show you but having seen dogs walked in them I'm really not keen!

Front clip Y harnesses are fantastic for pullers IME and I only use Y or H shaped harnesses on my dogs :)

Hopefully someone else can give you more info :)

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

The belt harness is much better than the power ones for any purpose although I would never walk a dog in one.

The belt harness is his "search dog" harness (all search dogs have the same design) and it is the fitting of it that is important.

Many harnesses are of very poor design, made out of unsuitable materials and very poorly fitted IME.

The best for walking dogs on are the Mekuti, TTouch, Haqihana etc as they leave the full shoulder and elbow free from restriction. Also they do not cover a large area of the body and thus retain heat in the muscles etc.

4. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

This is something I have tried to find information on myself. Maggie's trainer is very pro harness, and recommends the no pull front clip harness. I am not keen on walking Maggie on collar instinctively anyway, and after reading into the subject, feel that there are too many health issues associated to be happy doing so. So for me, I use a harness because I am uncomfortable with walking her on a collar, not because I want an instant 'cure' for pulling. I train her not to pull anyway.

However, the Gentle leader easy walk harness, that my trainer recommended to me, also bothers me due to the way it sits right across her chest/shoulders and changes her natural gait. I discussed this with my trainer and she pointed in me the direction of numerous resources which suggest this is the best harness to use. However, it still was a worry for me, so I order the Premier Sure-Fit Harness - which although is not intended to be a front clip harness, has a metal ring at the front and hence can be used as such. I'm much happier with the fit and where it sits on Maggie.

There is a lot of evidence for the potential issues of walking on a collar, but does not seem to have been many studies carried out on harness use. Hopefully this will change with the increased popularity of harnesses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice