Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

front legs slipping out, dog can't get up

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by chinafied, Aug 12, 2009.

1. chinafied

chinafied PetForums Newbie

HI, first time posting here, hoping to get some tips from other dog owners. I have a 17 year old pure bread Yorki who has been having a progressively harder time getting back onto his feet. The issue started about 4 months ago where his front legs slip out front/ sideways and he plants his face into the ground,usually unable to get up. at just over 3 lbs, it's tough to conceive rigging something to help him stand or a market product to lift his front up. I have him on a bed of towels which help him get traction on the floor along with under-padding for extra footing.. still not helping though. Even on the grass he's pretty unstable.

anybody found a way to help little dogs out? he's been on Glucosamine for over a year now which has helped stiffness and general walking.

Thanks!

Sacha

2. rona

rona Guest

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Whats his weight like? If hes a little on the porky side, this will make things a bit harder.

Do you think its pain or just overall weakness? Might be worth having a full vet check to rule out any underlying health issues.

4. chinafied

chinafied PetForums Newbie

wow, thanks for the links, I really didn't know they made braces for dogs as elaborate as those. Aside from a slightly high price tag, it seems that may be a solid answer. perhaps something home made to see if he uses it first.

As to the question about the weight, he's definitely a bit under weight for his size and breed. not much of a stomach line to speak of and ribs are rather apparent when held.

Has anybody tried any type of home remedy for a brace by chance? I almost think that some type of elastic to help stabilize his legs from slipping out would be less invasive than a full brace, since he doesn't even like waring a jacket, much less something solid.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice