Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

From one extreme to the other...

Discussion in 'Horse Tack and Equipment' started by Cappuccino, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Cappuccino

Cappuccino PetForums Junior

When I bought my horse he was being ridden in a Dutch gag, flash noseband and running martingale... I don't like gag bits so I swapped it for a French link eggbutt, only he didn't like that, so I went to a straight bar happy mouth and he didn't like that much either. As a last resort I got a flexible rubber snaffle and he goes fine in it. No brakes or steering problems at all!

Then I took his noseband off completely, after a bit of faffing about I'd discovered he has quite fatty cheeks, so the noseband was squishing his cheeks into his back teeth, so he was in effect biting the insides of his cheeks while I was riding, and once again he's going fine sans noseband!

At this rate I'll be riding bridle-less!

2. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

It is funny how things work out, sometimes the mildest bit used harshly causes more damage than a severe bit used kindly!

One of mine had severe problems with throwing his head while being ridden, changed to a plastic coated lozenge snaffle (dont like eggbuts or french links) took the flash off the noseband and hey presto, happy horse. Spoke to the vet about it and he suggested that it could have been he was trying to swallow but couldnt manage with his mouth all strapped shut so was throwing his head to help him manage this.

My old horse i used to put his bridle on and put headcollar over it, attach reins to the headcollar and ride with that.. it was good to have the bridle too though "just in case" and yes, i found he went better, less fussy with his head, less taking off and zooming about in the headcollar.

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

my mare rides better in just a halter. she hates bits, currently riding her in a myler bit and she goes quite well in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice