Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Friendships - Giving and taking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Holtie, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

What do friendships mean to you? Is it all about being there for each other? Giving and receiving in equal measures? Do you feel you're being taken for granted?

My friendships mean alot to me and I can count four really great friends on one hand who I have known for years (25) and we all know how each other thinks, be there for each other and always ready to listen.

I have one friend, who I have known for 7 and a half years, but I feel that it is very one sided as it is always me who has to arrange to get together for coffee or other things. I bump in to her at the supermarket sometimes and I always get from her 'I've been meaning to ring you for ages'. I said to her the other day 'I'm around - just ring' and got these promises that she would. Not going to hold my breath :rolleyes:

Are you a firm believer in giving and taking? What would you do with a friend like this?

Thanks for reading :)

2. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I will take it as it goes..this is clearly as she is...maybe just busy?...many times until I bump into someone we all sooo caught up with our things...family and so..that unless such opporunity arises...but I do not hold it against them..such is life...

So if you know she is a bit "moment to moment person" and has many things going....and you like seeing her..maybe just acccept that this is how it is?

3. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

This, totally

I have some friends who used to infuriate me as they are such a pain to get hold of, and it was always me doing the chasing - now i accept tey are just scatty and manically busy with lots of different things!

My best friends I will go months without any contact at all, but when we do meet its like we met up just yesterday!

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I have 2 friends, and they are " true" friends. The other kind are 2 a penny in my opinion.
    Respect goes a long way in a friendship.If you have respect you don't take either for granted.I will/ have done my best by my friends and ask for nothing in return.
    Although they have both always been there for me, when i've needed them.
    We don't feel the need to be in each others pockets every 5 mins either.
    I trust these 2 friends in every way and i know they feel the same towards me.
    Its been my privilege to have them in my life.:)

#4 JANICE199, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I have one absolute best friend and we have known each other for about 20 yrs.

She lives away down in Essex so we don't see each other as much as we once did when I also lived in the SE. Nor do we talk that often due to her hectic work schedule and very busy life. But when we do talk, you would think we'd only just left the room and come back in again. I trust her completely and adore her to bits. I would drop everything if she needed me, and I know she would do the same for me.

I also have a newer friend who seems to be working her way into a similar position. We're still getting to know each other but it is looking good thus far. I believe I am safe in saying that if I really needed her, she would be there for me and I know would do the same for her.

I make acquintances very easily but making real friends is hard. So I'll stick with the 1.5 I currently have. :)

6. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I have 3 really good friends. One lives in London and I've known her for almost 40 years, there's nothing we don't know about each other....:eek: but we can go months without talking, but when we do, it's as if we only saw each other the day before.

My other two friends I've known about 15 and 7 years respectively.

There's nothing I wouldn't do for any of my friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice