Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Friends Dogs Toileting Troubles

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

I told my friend I would post on here for her, so here goes.

She has 3 dogs, two are about 8 and one is around 3. Older two are collie crosses and the younger is a patterdale.

None of them can hold their bladders at night or through the day, and each morning or when she gets in from work she has to clean up soggy paper.

The older dogs are her partners so it is he who has never really trained them. But their younger dog has, of course, taken to copying the older ones.

My friend has tried to take them for a wee before bed, in the garden or on a walk, but they hold it until they are back to the paper.

Is there anyway my friend can try to improve the situation, or is it too late?

Many Thanks

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I dont understand the whole paper stuff!? Do you mean that they have paper down in the house for them to toilet on!?

3. borderer

borderer Guest

move the paper:wink5::wink5:

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I did read it right then! :eek:

I agree..They wont know there doing anything wrong by going on the paper..by having the paper there its only encouraging them to use it. As thats what there use to.

5. rona

rona Guest

Put some soiled paper in the garden to encourage them to go outside.

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Yeap every night move the paper closer to the door then outside. When people house train with paper or those pad things it usually causes more problems than it solves!

7. mr.stitches

Thats a good idea, thanks Rona

Yes, they do use paper, as thats what my friends OH has always done (dont ask me why, im just her friend!!)

So of course the poor dogs dont understand.

I think the idea of the soiled paper outside is a good one and I think my friend and her partner should really go back to basics. I know the older two dogs are...getting on...but they cant be happy soiling inside their home.

Thanks for the ideas people!

PS...please, no one get nasty on this thread as its not about me, its about my friend!

8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I think thats a good idea rona put forward to!:) Best of luck with them if they try it..

I doubt any one would get nasty about it! :)

9. rona

rona Guest

Just make sure they weight it down ;)

10. mr.stitches

hmmm, yes! .......:)

11. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

First thing I would do is take all 3 to the vets to make sure there are no urinary tract infections in play.

If they get the all clear then as Rona suggested, move the paper closer and closer to the door. She will need to go back to training them like puppies. VERY frequent visits outside with a "be quick" or "go wee" command. Tell her not to hang around out there as they might see it as a time for play rather than wee time. HUGE praise when they go.

Make sure she is cleaning up the wee inside the house with biological powder or something of the sort. Some cleaners can actuallly encourage the dogs to wee there.

12. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Yes vet visit is good idea! My JRT was showing signs of incontinence while sleeping (he's an ex-puppy farm stud dog so not house trained) so I took him to my vet and he's now on Propalin which has worked amazingly and coincidentally I've had no more 'accidents' in the house!

13. mr.stitches

I know my friend is my friend, but Im not sure how great she is with taking them out regular for the toilet etc...

I shall make the suggestions to her, as i think it would make for better living all round if the toilet thing got sorted out.

Im not sure what she uses to clean up the wee, but i doubt its anything that will get all the scent etc out of the floor.

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Well you've solved the reason there then!! Some people make me laugh, they complain about dogs messing but don't get off their bums and take them outside!!:rolleyes:

15. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Sadly if she is not willing to put the time and work into training she has no grounds to complain :( Hopefully when you telll her that it's a problem that relatively easy to solve she will do what's needed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice