Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Friends Asking For Money.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Paws&Claws, May 26, 2010.

1. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Im quite a generous person and i like to make sure everyones okay etc.. but i was wondering what everyone thought about giving money to friends?

My friend from a couple years ago who i only see once a year, txted me in september asking if i could lend her money.... :confused: it would be a large amount and she said she would pay it back. However i am a student and i dont have any spare money so i turned her down (i thought her phone had been nicked at first so i txted another friend who lives near by to make sure she was okay and she was)

Then i havent heard from her..... until this morning... she sent me a message asking again? Ive again turned her down but i cant understand why shes needs it and what for?

I dont see her alot so i felt it was abit weird and slightly rude tbh... :confused1: whats everyone think? x

2. ClaireLouise

I think it is abit rude hun.
    Lending money just causes trouble, I never lend money as a rule.

3. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

no i wouldnt.

Even my best friends i wouldnt - purely as i wouldnt ask them!

So definarely not someone i dont see very often! :)

4. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Im not totally against it.. I dont mind the odd £1 when their short on parking and i dont mind the odd £5 lending to my bf which he then pays back the next day but it sounded like ALOT of money she needed :confused: x

5. ClaireLouise

I would buy someone something if they needed it within reason. My cousins were skint and I got them some food in to help but I wouldnt lend money, a fiver is different but a large sum I wouldnt. Especially if its someone you dont have much contact with. Dont feel bad you have done right by not lending it

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

I gave my best mate who lives on IOW £200 when she was in trouble a few years back.. hadn't even got enough to gets the kids food for school the next day so i put it right into her account without telling her. She phoned me up a couple hours later to tell me off for doing it :lol:

I still had her bank details from our holiday to florida we went on years previous and her kids are my god-daughters so it went without saying.

She's giving it me back when she's got it spare and if im desperate for it. We've known each other and been best mates nearly 11 years and phone each other every couple of weeks and i know if roles were reversed she'd do the same for me.

7. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Shes really nice and i feel sorry for her as shes an orphan and hasnt had any help. But she has alot of closer friends (she lives down south and im up north) and she has a boyfriend so it didnt seem right :confused: x

8. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

No I wouldn't either. I only ever give money if I am comfortable knowing that I'll never see it again- b/c IME I never do see it again- even if there are promises of an I.O.U.

9. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Sounds like good friends though, and you speak often :eek: well done you for being nice hehe x

Thats what im afraid of tbh. I dont have alot of money and i never have any to spare so i couldnt help anyway x

10. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

sounds a bit like a user TBH.

My cousin who i have tried to contact and been basically ignored contacted meon facebook asking for money off me, i told him where to go. Surpise surprise i haven't herd from him again!

i have loaned people money in the passed, for instance fto my mum for her wedding, but she gave me it back.

I dont like giving people a loan of money, im a cheap skate as it is lol

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have leant money to friends but i completey utterly trust them. I trust them with my daughter and pets so i trust them with money LOL!!!

I have always had it back. I have also used friends money. When i used to go out around the town and i run out ''being to generous'' buying people drinks :lol: i used their money for the rest of the night. They always had it back in the morning (i never used to take my bank cards out! I was too scared of losing them!)

But to be honest hun, and i know its none of my business, i would definately not lend this ''friend'' of yours money!!

12. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

i used to stay with a very a girl and her son she gave me her spare room when i had no where else to go (at the time i didnt know my real parents) but i stayed with her for 2 years and we had a great time while i was there i ended up moving out when decided to move back home to skye....

well i found out that she was having trouble finding a job and that they where going to kick her out her house if she didnt get the rent paid i sent large some of money to her and i would never ask her for the money.

but if it was a friend i hardly see like the one who text me today asking if i had a spare 50 quid she could loan off me then no as i never really see her or talk on the phone.

*Kara*

13. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

hmmm i know your right but i just feel mean :eek: (i cant lend any anyway as i dont have any to lend lol) x

14. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

i've only ever lent money to my best friend cause i used to see her ever day she's my godsons mum and i only leant it her when her gas had gone and her house was freezing but she never asked i offered

it sounds highly cheeky and rude, i wouldn't

15. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

I dont think i wuld ever lend money to friends because i would hate to rui a friendship if they wouldnt pay the money back etc.

However if my oh is a bit short then I lend him some and vice versa and it has happened where he will just cover the rent etc untill i have money then i pay him back - but we have been together 5 years and live together etc - anyone else i wouldnt do it as i would just hate to know i owe anyone anything and that they owe me. People should live within their means.

16. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Nah I wouldn't.

If I was thinking it I would want to know what she needs it for.

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've done it once. £30 off my best friend when I was terrified that we'd lose our house (a few months ago someone cleaned out my account). It was all she had at the time but I was so grateful for it. I wouldn't ask unless I was desperate and she knows that.

Thankfully I was able to lend almost £600 off my mum.

Your friend doesn't sound like a friend tbh ... I wouldn't use my best mate as a walking bank and then not speak to her.

18. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Like everyone else has said, don't lend your mum money not knowing how its gonna be used. It would be just like money going down the drain x

She sounds pretty desperate tho, not taking no as an answer

19. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

I think only lend to someone (talking significant amounts here) that you are totally sure will repay it or who you know you are going to be comfortable asking for it back when you need it.
    But generally speaking I don't lend money to anyone, except my kids (and that generally ends up being written off as a gift!)

20. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

ive had it done to me and never seen any of it back.... she now a ex friend and branded a theiving b****

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice