Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Friend for a Troubled Friend

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by HubertCumberdale, Apr 9, 2011.

1. HubertCumberdale

HubertCumberdale PetForums Newbie

Some time ago, visting a less blessed part of my community I came across a very badly treated Pavement Special. After seeing what the dog was being put through, I took him home and began teaching to trust people again.

A few years on, he has improved significantly. He is lovealbe and even allows strangers to touch him. But he is very lonely. He is a large breed dog and we have tried to introduce a small breed to the house but he didn't react well, in fact, I think he wa trying to kill it.

What I want to know is, what breed of dog would make a suitable friend? And is there some guideline I should follow introducing the two?

2. rona

rona Guest

I think you should make sure your dog is dog friendly before introducing another. If it tried to kill the last one then a bigger dog could cause all sorts of problems and vet bills foe you

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I think you would have to take into account whether he is neutered or not and what he is like on walks when he meets other dogs. My concern would be introducing a dog into a confined space with him could end up badly.

Lastly why do you wish to introduce a friend now after several years of him being on his own? :smile:

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sorry I notice you said he was lonely - has there been a change in his behaviour to make you think that?

Also which large breed is he?

5. HubertCumberdale

HubertCumberdale PetForums Newbie

Its been about four years now and when he first moved into the house, he did have an old German Shepard to deal with, so he is dog friendly.
    The problem I'm having is with a NEW dog in the house, as a result of my attempting to introduce the small breed.
    He is a real mix of breeds, though boxer comes out quite prominently in his face.

6. Andromeda

Andromeda PetForums Senior

How meeting looks like?
    Where it took place? On the neutral ground? In your house? In park?
    Were dogs leashed?
    Wrong introducing the dogs to each other is a common mistake people are doing.
    Or maybe your dog isn't familiar with small breeds and has strong predatory instinct. For example Max is obsessed with guinea pig - that how big dog can see small dogs :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice