Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Frenchie aggression advice.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Megan Watts, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Megan Watts

Megan Watts PetForums Newbie

Hi! I'm new here but I'm really needing a little bit of advice, I have a 9 month old french bulldog boy, who 2 weeks ago was neutered.
    I have never had any issues with him snapping or aggression, he has always been so laid back & soft, but today, he has snapped at my daughter who is nearly 3 twice today, the first time, she was trying to take him on a walk round the house with his harness (I told her off for this) so I thought maybe she had hurt him , i had scuffed him told him no & put him in the kitchen. But then the second time she was just standing watching television & he turned & snapped to her out of no where.
    I just dont know what do to, obviously my daughter comes first, but with it being so out of character for him, alongside this, he normally tries to play with my cat, much to her disgust , however this evening he went for her too, just wondered if anyone had any advice or suggestions for me

Attached Files:

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It does sound as though your daughter hurt or frightened him. Unfortunately scruffing him and telling him off has just worsened the incident and he's probably now confused and scared of you both.
    First step needs an urgent vet visit to check for any injury or source of pain.
    You must teach your daughter how to behave round the dog and that he is not a toy , she needs to respect his space. Don't ever leave them alone together even for a second.
    Has the dog got a safe space, such as a crate or den , where he can rest without being disturbed by anyone ?

Amanda Mower, Torin., Beth78 and 4 others like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you take your dog to the vet ?

4. Megan Watts

My daughter got a telling off as she knows full well that she shouldn't treat animals like that, I think it was because I went into protect mode of my daughter & I didnt know whether he was going to attack her, I wish I didnt I couldn't get into the vets they was full so I've got an appointment with them Monday, hes got plenty of space to go if he needs some space , he just seems to prefer being close to me & if I put him in his safe space he whines until I go to him I never will leave them on their own I feel like a bad dog mummy

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Of course you would be protective of your daughter, that's natural. These situations happen seemingly from nowhere and how you react isn't necessarily how you would choose.
    You 're not a bad owner or mum, just a busy person.:)
    Have a look on line at canine body language, there is a chart called 'the ladder of canine agression' which shows the early signals of anxiety and stress leading up to a snap or a bite, I'll see if I can find it.
    https://www.dvm360.com/view/handout-canine-ladder-aggression

For example, my feeling about the photo of your daughter and your dog makes me feel that he's not really that comfortable, he looks quite tense round his eyes and lips.
    Let us know what the vet says on Monday.
    Apologies if my first reply seemed harsh, it wasn't meant to.

6. Megan Watts

Thankyou so much for taking your time to reply, i know how to handle the situation in the future if it ever did happen again, hopefully not though , hes been alright so far since, just like you say a bit on edge, & extremely clingy towards me , I will let you know what the vet says. No I didnt think your first comment was harsh, it was just fact & I really appreciate it.
    I dont ever want to cause a dog anxiety so will be doing my best to do sort it & will have a good read of the website you suggested x

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If it is only 2 weeks after the castration and he has snapped at the cat too I would suspect he is in some pain which hopefully the vet will get to the bottom of.

Lurcherlad, Torin. and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice