Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

French bulldogs behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tash_cash, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Tash_cash

Tash_cash PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced with their frenchie what I have. I have a male 10 months old puppy. He has been an absolute dream. Always been on guard and can’t protective of the house (so any knocks at the door or sounds outside the house he will react and be at a stance and quite guarded). Last week his behaviour has really concerned me. On a walk we stopped to talk to some neighbours and he started acting quite guarded his persona changed and was barking growling and attempted to bite (not snap) one of their toddler children. (He lives with three young children and he never acted this way with them) we walked away from the situation I was quite shaken and confused where it he come from the toddler was minding his own business and he made a beeline for him. As we approached our house we have two neighbouring children who he is very familiar with and again randomly went for another child this child was slightly older. Today at the park on a walk I was observing him and I could see that anytime a child walked by he would change his persona be on guard and would attempt to jump up once again trying to bite another child. Why why why would he change like this? I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any advise to give me going forward. I’m very concerned and really taken back by this.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Best thing would be to get a behaviourist to see him. With 3 young children in the home, it could be that he's giving out signals he's not happy about some interactions that are being missed, and you're rightly concerned. Avoid anyone who spouts dominance or anything like that, your vet may be able to recommend someone sensible and qualified.
    In the meantime avoid situations where he's overwhelmed, Let him interact with the kids from his choice, in that any approaches come from him, and he is never picked up, chased or confined by them. Let him have a safe space where he's never bothered by them, perhaps a crate under a table so it's like a den.

O2.0, simplysardonic and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Another point is that at 10 months he's approaching social maturity, so less inclined to put up with things he doesn't like; more inclined to stand up for himself.

Lurcherlad and Ian246 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice