Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

French Bulldog what to look for

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jpe123, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jpe123

jpe123 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

in around a year me and my girlfriend are planning on getting a French Bulldog puppy.

We have done our research on the breed but are wondering if any owners have any advise on what to keep an eye out for when viewing the puppies i know the obvious like see mum etc but wanted specific breed info.

Thanks
    Justin

2. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

I'm afraid I don't know any of the specifics when it comes to French Bulldogs, but just found the website of the UK French Bulldog club which, if you have a read through their pages, will provide some useful information about health testing, breed standards etc.

Here is the link to their website: French Bulldog Club of England

You may find a breeder through champdogs French Bulldogs - Champdogs ®

Sounds like one of the main concern for French Bulldogs is spine abnormalities so this is definitely something for you to look out for, breeders who go to lengths to x ray their dogs before breeding would be the ones to go for, in my opinion.

3. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

With regards to when you find a breeder you are happy with and go to view the mum, personally I would be looking to see that the mum was a happy, friendly and well cared family pet - not a dog used solely or primarily for the purpose of breeding. How you judge this is up to you, but, for example, I would not purchase a puppy from a breeder who kept their dogs outside.

This is quite a good thread about purchasing a puppy in general:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/9448-advice-buying-puppy.html

Dober likes this.
  4. jpe123

jpe123 PetForums Newbie

Great I will check those links out now.

Thanks again for the help.
    Justin

5. Callia

Callia PetForums Member

What a lovely breed. I would try to visit a few litters before making a choice. It is very easy to just see one litter and be smitten but it makes much more sense to view a few to be able to compare breeders. Any reputable breeder will not be worried that you are also looking elsewhere and will certainly not be pressuring you into leaving a deposit with them. There seems to be a lot of dilute colour breeding in French bulldogs at the moment being advertised as rare for huge sums of money. I'm not sure if they are breed standard to be honest and it would be worth looking up this info.
    Personally I do not see any issue at all with dogs being kennelled provided they are well cared for and you are welcomed to view them all. Some breeds just do not live happily together when you have several and it is practical for some to be kennelled particularly when there are puppies in the home too.
    Good luck with your search ;-)

6. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hi Justin,

Great posts by bearcub, there's definitely a lot to read up on! I dont have any breed specific information either, but I would say that make sure you see paperwork proof of all health testing that has been done too.

You could go to some local open dog shows, there are usually plenty of french bulldogs and you can ask the owners some questions and look at the different dogs. Most owners will jump at the chance to talk about their dog so you will be very welcome :) Where are you based? I can provide you a few links to some dog shows which have classes for frenchies.

7. jpe123

jpe123 PetForums Newbie

I am based just south of London near Guildford surrey.

We are thinking of going to Crufts if we can get time off work.

Thanks for all your help

8. jpe123

jpe123 PetForums Newbie

Thank you.

9. love our big babies

love our big babies PetForums Member

I would be asking for proof of health tests carried out. Look at puppies who have slightly longer snouts too.
    Have a look on the french bulldog club of england.
    Visit loads of different breeders.

We paid £2000 for our girl but took a good while before we found her and we visited 12 breeders nationwide.

Good luck finding your new puppy.

10. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I was going to say this, personally i would go to some shows and find some breeding lines that aren't over exaggerated in shortness of snout. The look for the correct health testing etc

Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice