Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

French bulldog stud age?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sam Holland, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Sam Holland

Sam Holland PetForums Newbie

Hi just curious to what the ideal stud age is for a male French Bulldog KC registered, currently 8 months old.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't use any stud dog for my females that is under 2 years of age - to me that is the minimum age. By then the dog will be fully matured physically so I can see what the stud actually looks and moves like, see that he is healthy and know his adult temperament. By two years of age I would expect the dog to be fully health tested of course and have achieved some thing - this may be within the Show ring or the Obedience ring/Awards or through Working Field Trials.

J

Burrowzig, Colette and niamh123 like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Has he been shown? What makes him such a great example of the breed? Is his health and temperament perfect? What about his conformation and movement? Has he had all the relevant health TESTS the breed needs? (not health checks, they mean nothing).
    Lots of badly bred frenchies around at the moment, people are just breeding because they can. I'd not even consider breeding until he's been shown and got some good credentials. Also you need to check his colour as the KC are no longer registering dogs of undesirable colours like blue, lilac, merle etc. What does his breeder say? They will be able to tell you whether he's breeding material and whether you are allowed to breed from him using their affix.
    I'd certainly not consider a stud under 18 months, and at that point he needs to have some sort of achievement to say he is worth breeding from.

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice