Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

French bulldog puppy buying advice!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gaby Morgan, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Gaby Morgan

Gaby Morgan PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

New around here but hoping you can help. I’m looking at getting a French bulldog puppy, I’ve been doing a lot of research into the potential health issues, and the best things to ask a potential breeder.

I’ve found a breeder who seems like she’s being totally forthcoming with any info she has, both parents are KC registered with scores of 2.8 and 4.5%, cataracts clear etc. However I’ve been reading about BOAS, spinal and knee cap issues. I’ve asked her and neither parents have been specifically checked for these. Is this a real concern?

Other things to note:
    - Both parents have had ‘general health checks’ (not really sure what that covers!),
    - The puppies were born naturally (which I hear is unusual?!)
    - The mum is only 2 and it’s her first litter. - - Puppies come vaccinated, have had 2 vet checks, wormed and chipped.

My partner is very cautious having bought a frenchie 10 years ago for an ex ( ‍♀️) who had a twisted stomach and cost them over £10k in the first 4 weeks. Ofcourse no insurance covered it… so I guess I’m trying to fathom what is ‘normal risk’ when buying a breed that can have issues, and what’s being a responsible new doggy owner!

Appreciate all your help!!!

thanks

Gaby

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Yes, it's an issue that parents haven't been BOAS graded, since that's probably going to be the mostly likely issue a frenchie would have.
    Spinal problems are also all too common and absolutely debilitating for the dogs who suffer from them, as well as being very traumatic and expensive for owners. A natural birth is a very good thing, but unfortunately doesn't make up for the other potential problems.
    If you're breeding such popular dogs with such a huge range of known issues, there's absolutely no excuse for NOT doing all you can to make sure you are producing pups who are as healthy as possible. Cutting corners like skipping important health tests is not ok in any way.

Have you seen mum and dad? What colours are they? Do you about dog structure or any physical warning signs to look out for (eyes, nares, muzzle, skull, tail, ribcage, spine, legs etc), or have anyone that can help with that?
    I don't assume they have been evaluated in that way, other than a vet saying they have four legs and are capable of breeding

Honest advice for buying a frenchie as they are: just don't.

3. Gaby Morgan

Gaby Morgan PetForums Newbie

Thank you for a quick reply!!
    Yes I hear you, I totally get they are a complex breed and buying one is opening ourselves to potential issues.

I’m just amazed at so many breeders aren’t even offering any info on the parents at all. I wondered whether getting the BOAS, spinal checks is ‘normal’.

I’m not experienced but i have been reading about the physical warnings signs extensively and they’ve said mum can be looked at. They’re quite a distance so unlikely able to do before going to ‘collect’.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

What’s making you go for the Frenchie out of interest? Would you consider another breed ? It’s a bit of a minefield finding a good breeder.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'm afraid the only advice I have regarding buying frenchies (and pugs, bostons, bulldogs etc) is don't. Unless you are buying from a breeder who has done everything possible to ensure the health of their dogs, and health and longevity of the breed as a whole. Another thing is that the really good breeders will have a waiting list for people wanting their pups before they are even born, so it rings alarm bells for them to be advertising when the pups have already been born.

What drew you to frenchies in the first place? Maybe if you tell us what you are looking for in a dog, as well as what you can realistically offer in terms of exercise, enrichment, training, grooming etc, then we could give you other options to think about.

Burrowzig, Lurcherlad, lorilu and 3 others like this.
  6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

There are some quite significant, and serious, heart issues cropping up in Frenchies right now. Its affecting them when they are young (under a year) and is drastically reducing their life expectancy (some are barely making it beyond 2-3).

Personally, id like to see the breed banned on welfare ground. Its a physical mess.

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Well testing costs money, and that would eat into the breeders puppy profits, of course.

Again, there's absolutely no excuse for cutting corners on health testing. If, as a breeder, you aren't going out of your way to make sure your puppies are as healthy as could possibly be, you ought not to be breeding.
    It doesn't matter if its not commonly done, the only reasons for not extensively testing your breeding animals are ignorance, laziness or greed.
    None of which benefit the animals concerned in any way. Which is, again, inexcusable.

If a frenchie breeder isn't going above and beyond, walk away.
    Even if that means you don't get a frenchie.

8. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I’ve just had a look at the Frenchies advertised on Champdogs and there appears to be a lot of health testing going on in the current litters for sale, worth looking at. I noticed there is something called the French bulldog health scheme which seems to be a certification of passing various health tests, not something I’ve seen before, don’t know much about it

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I was going to say what about Boston instead? Only on the basis that my son has one and (Inever thought I’d say it with this sort of breed, and I tried to talk them out of it) but she’s brilliant.

Totally health tested, raised in a family home with cats and other Boston adults.

Really clever, loves training, runs 6k regularly with DIL, or runs and keeps up with other dogs; her only breathing problem is that she snores like a drunken sailor. Highly sociable to people, loves the children (and their friends) and lives amicably with the resident cat.

If you can find one like this it could be an alternative as long as you can deal with the energy.

She’s either 100mph or asleep.

10. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Yes, the health scheme awards Bronze, Silver and Gold. Anyone who is genuinely breeding Frenchies for their long term health would aim for Silver or Gold and be so proud of this they would be flag waving all over the shop. If a breeder is Bronze or has not participated at all, walk away.
    The scheme: http://www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk/how-to-participate.html
    Note: all those non-standard colours do NOT qualify for the scheme.

Agree it's an absolute minefield and there's still plenty of puppy farmed and illegally smuggled Frenchies coming into the country from Eastern Europe :(

Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I would really think hard about having one, but if your mind is made up make sure all health tests have been done, check out the breeder make sure they are registered with the Frenchie Breeders Ass., make sure you have very good insurance with a breed like a Frenchie you'll likely to need one. Make sure you see the puppy with it Mother and Siblings.

On saying all that I'd look for another small breed, there are so many about that don't have so many health problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice