Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

French bulldog nipping

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by BlueFrenchie, Apr 3, 2021.

1. BlueFrenchie

BlueFrenchie PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a 1 year old frenchie (1 tomorrow) and he is still nipping at hands. Does anyone know how to train him to remove this from his behaviours.
    The second thing is, he seems to become very frightened when approached with hands and can even accidentally bite, today taking his lead off caused him to bite. He’s in no way aggressive 99% of the time, he is a very friendly dog and is perfect until it comes to hands!

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

What methods have you used so far to stop the nipping?

You mention hands twice in 2 different contexts, in the first do you mean playful nipping, or is he trying to make the scary thing (the hands) go away?

Dogs don't bite accidentally, if he's displaying fearful behaviour towards hands & following it up by biting he means business as his prior warnings have been ignored.

3. BlueFrenchie

BlueFrenchie PetForums Newbie

It’s not a playful nipping, it starts as mouthing and when we move our hands he gets more agitated and more forceful to get to the hand, I started making a high pitch sound which tends to stop him for a moment until I stop and he starts again, then I have to go out the room.

another example of his issue with hands in general, he can get upstairs he can’t get back down so he needs carrying and if you approach him from the front he jumps back but I can pick him up by being behind him. I think he’s frightened. It’s very tricky to understand. If I let him know we need to put his harness on, he will go and sit at the front door and wait but when he sees his harness he runs away and gets defensive when approached. Eventually fine and will allow his harness on but is constantly biting at his lead, leading to a bite today trying to remove the lead unfortunately

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice