Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

French Bulldog Allergies - SOS

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Vamp176, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Vamp176

Vamp176 PetForums Junior

Russ is a white 5 year old french bulldog, from about the age of one and half he has had a constant battle with allergies. We have struggled to find out what it was, we tried changing bedding to cotton; changed washing powder; and changed his food, we thought we nailed it on the head as his skin wasn't as aggravated on Fish Mongers finest (fish and potato) dry kibble. Once his skin was in a better state ,we decided to get him nurtured, on the day of the big snip we had a call saying the Vet was not happy doing it as they ran bloods and his Liver function was not in the therapeutic range.

Sooo £2000 later and a visit to Langford Vets in Bristol - we leave with no more knowledge than when we entered .. he has an allergy to "something" and his liver function is poor, We then where recommended to buy him Denamarin tablets which, he know has daily.

Fast Foward to present day : His skin is starting to deteriorate again , and he is scratching a lot more. Nothing has changed environmentally , and his diet has remained the same. This brings me on to the question;

Has anyone else been in similar situation with their dog?

Am i missing out a easy solution?

And is Cytopoint injections easily available in the UK?

Nicola Ashworth likes this.
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Has he ever been treated with antibiotics and steroids for his liver, plus anyone mention lactulose to be used daily. As I really thought that was standard...but then am not a vet. Usually with a poor functioning liver the body builds up toxins..too much can then cause a condition that affects the brain called hepatic encephalopathy...which can involve behaviour changes

My dog had a liver condition undisclosed as we couldn't get to the bottom of it either...we knew a flare up though and as well as denamarin we were told to use low protein food...fishmongers may be too high...burns is good for liver problems.

This is a massive long shot...but I can't think Bristol would have missed it...so I am presuming it's not relevant to canines but in humans itching can be a sign of liver problems...so maybe it's more linked than you think. If this can exhibit the same way...and is due to toxin build up.

My dog didn't itch her symptoms were lack of appetite and swollen abdomen that occurred quickly.

If it is toxins the lactulose could help if using it...as lactulose is a laxative so speeds up the digestive system. So toxins are not building up.

So how often is his liver function being checked? If he's suddenly getting worse...it might be related to his liver.

Whiteshadow and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Vamp176

Vamp176 PetForums Junior

Well i raised the question of toxin build up could affect the skin, and the vet dismissed that as incorrect. I think i will have to challenge my local vets again, as we go in circles of Antibiotics/Cream/bloods and seem to get know where :(

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Like I say it's a human thing ....but sometimes all mammals have similar reaction....it was a long shot.

Would still be worried about toxin build up and not having lactulose personally if my dog had liver problems.

5. Nicola Ashworth

Nicola Ashworth PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Iv just started my bishon frise on Cytopoint monthly injections for his allergy’s. My local VetsforPets seem to have no probs in getting hold of it. I pay £98.74 per monthly injection which I feel is excessive, let me know how much you pay if you decided to use Cytopoint

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

We have a Staffy bitch with allergies.

She began at about a year old itching, biting and scratching and losing a lot of her coat. Her skin looked red and felt hot and clammy to the touch.

We had allergy testing done on her and she proved to be allergic to quite a list of different foods. We have eliminated all of them from her diet.

We also have Apoquel tablets for her, (used extensively for allergies). She seems to be allergic to some environmental factors and we aren't sure what they are, so, if she has a flare up with her skin, we use the Apoquel, which very quickly stops the itching and gets it under control.

Lurcherlad and Nicola Ashworth like this.
  7. Nicola Ashworth

Nicola Ashworth PetForums Newbie

Iv use Apoquel for the past 12 months .. 1 tab per day but my dog still suffers with scratching excessively, chewing of paws etc. He is on a strict diet too allergic to wheat things n peas. Now having Cytopoint inhections as well as Apoquel just so expensive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice