Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

free use of scales at vets

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TobyK9, May 16, 2010.

1. TobyK9

TobyK9 Banned

Hi,

Should vets allow you to nip in and plonk your dog on their scales, take a note of the weight and leave all within the space of 20 seconds or is it ok and standard to charge £19 for it?

I need the weight of my dog for wormers ect that I'll buy elsewhere cheaper, you could say that's then a cheek towards the vet but my argument is that if my dog broke his leg or whatever then the vets would get the ££££'s from my insurance company, its not as if I'm not registered with this vet

2. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

My vet allows free use of the scale, but does require a phone call in advance in case the office is exceptionally busy. With the little rescue I just stopped in and asked if they could weigh her so I had some idea food wise and also picked up some recovery dog food and had them check her all over for a chip. Where I live alot of people chip their dogs pedigree or not. No charge except for the food....Jill

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Both my vets have the scales by the door so people can come in use them and go

4. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

mine are free i think? she was weighed th other day and has put on weight :eek:

shes on a constant diet poor girl :D

5. TobyK9

TobyK9 Banned

Thanks Jill :)

Yeah I should have said it was with an appointment, I just meant the nipping in bit in reference to how quickly it would be done. Very strange then that they want to charge me nearly twenty pounds for it, I guess because I'm not buying anything or I refused the offer of a checkup. He doesn't need a checkup, just a correct weight so I can get shopping for his wormer and flea treatment. I'll consider switching vets then, I just wanted to check first to see if it was standard to charge for such a minor thing

6. TobyK9

TobyK9 Banned

Ah thank you, that makes my mind up then. Thank you :)

7. Rick

Rick PetForums VIP

19 quid is a bit much to charge for weighing a pet. Our vet doesn't charge us but I don't know if that is policy or just because we are always in there spending money! :rolleyes:

If you can pick the dog up then weigh yourself holding the dog, then without and note the difference.
    Might not be quite as accurate but should be OK.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

My vet doesn't charge to use the scales.I wouldn't pay if they wanted me to.:D

9. ruth9

ruth9 PetForums Member

Mine don't charge. You can just pop in with your dog and use the scales anytime during opening hours and the receptionist will update your notes with the new weight.

10. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I just use Pet's at home, they have a big scale set up :thumbup: and another pet shop I use called Big H wil get the sales out if I ask them and let me use it for free :) i've never used the vets,

11. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Mine don't charge - we are in there once a month to pick up meds so just pop them on the scales if need be but even before that they never charged... seems very steep.

12. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

how bigs your dog btw?

i normally weigh myself and then weight the dog (with a helper)

failing that wii fit does the same :D (weights the dog...) :lol:

13. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Mine don't charge, but.... did you book an appointment to get him weighed? If so, then they are probably charging the consultation fee which is for the time the vet puts aside to see you. Although mine don't charge, I would only go at a time when they aren't seeing clients, so either phone first or go between morning and afternoon or evening surgery.

14. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Our vet is the same, you can just pop in and weigh your dog any time.

15. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We either use [email protected] or go to the vets. However the vets don't ever charge us.

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

that is exactly what I was thinking. If you booked an appointment with a vet during surgery time then I think you would expect a consultation fee even if you only wanted the dog weighed. If you had been in for something else then the weighing would probably have been included. My vets tend to automatically weigh a dog when it is there.

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Mine don't charge to just go in and weigh. If you make an appointment then yes you pay the basic consultation fee and they weigh the dog. I don't bother with that just take him in for free

18. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

My vets scales are in the waiting room and they allow us to go in at anytime and weigh them for free. :)

19. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Our vet never charges for a consult/check up/using scales. He will only charge for vaccinations/worming, or any other meidcation given, e.g. antibiotics.
    He will charge for procedures, e.g. neutering, and for daignostics: bloodwork, x- rays, ultrasound, skin scrapes etc.

I think it is outrageous that a vet would charge for using the scales!!

20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Ours doesnt charge either:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice