Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Free to good home..........!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kivasmum, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Just wanted to have a little rant :eek:
    Kiva and I went to her training class tonight.....and she was a grade A tw@t!!!! :mad:

I have honestly never seen her soooo unfocussed! I could of been waving round prime steak and she still wouldn't of paid me any attention. Even the trainer said 'jeeeez what's got into her tonight!' I felt so defeated by the end of it I could of cried :crying:

She usually has a pretty rock solid down stay, even with the other dogs there in class but even those were beyond her tonight!

Of course I don't blame it all on her, I need to work on some focus, more so apparently now as it seems her 'kevin' side is well and truly out and raring to go! So going to work on getting a solid 'watch me' before next week, and get 'control unleashed' on full flow!

Any more tips for focus commands/excersizes? The book is fab but sometimes experience teaches you a few extra tricks too :D

Sorry for the rant just disappointed really, but I'll not let it beat me :D she may be a teenager but I have another one of those and I don't put up with his crap either ;)
    Sorry for the rant, but it's nice to get it off my chest to people that understand.

2. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

Aww... we all get that sometimes....actually, with Ringo, I used to feel like that all of the time!!! And I have cried, despite trying sooo hard not to...

Don't really have any tips - will leave that to the people who know what they're talking about - but chin up! Keep practicing and doing what you're doing and you'll be fine!
    Naomi x

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

haha.....:D

this post so made me laugh....

the times i have come across owners who say....he is absolutely solid....the dog hits adolescence and then goes completely off track and lacks focus! hehe

all this is perfectly normal....and with patience, consistent training and perseverence all with resolve itself in due course.

the one BIG mistake a lot of owners make is changing cue words and training methods thinking the original ones are not working! WRONG WRONG WRONG;....

as with children....an adolescent dog will test the boundaries...totally ignore you....and be an absolute brute!!! and just as with children you have to be MORE determined,,,,MORE insistent....and MORE appealing than the outside influences and distractions.

a few tips....

A) go back to basics and practise really simple exercises like the watch me and sit....be absolutely ruthless and DO NOT let the dog off with anything.

B) increase the value of your treats - really strong smelly cheese or sausage for example

C) restrict OFF LEASH work to the garden or home until the recall returns to being solid - longline training in public places will safely reinforce the work you do at home.

D) practise different exercises each time you train. the dog will be more likely to show an interest if there is no pattern to his training.

E) use everyday occurrences to integrate extra training - play hide and seek games, ask for a sit before dinner, teach tricks like give paw,,,roll over, etc

F) Finally....probably the best way of getting your dog to absolutely adore you.....is to have at least 2 minutes of hugs, cuddles and fuss after each session (good or bad)
    :wink:

4. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Could you get her to work for tug? Dino prefers this over any food and he's a right grubber. Just drawing comparisons since we both have sheps, and mine is being a little b@st@rd too :p
    He will always do what's asked for my working toy though. I just don't want to over use it and reduce its value.
    Integrate training into the games and she'll be more likely to listen as she's having so much fun, and when she doesn't listen all the fun stops.
    I find the laser pen really good for working on distance stops. His prey drive kicks in to overdrive with the laser pen and it means I have total control when he's chasing birds and squirrels now because he thinks I have control of his chasing. I dread the day he finds out I don't haha!!

5. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Why do you ladies get soo emotional?? Enjoy training and enjoy when your dog just wants to be a dog. Enjoy it and so will your dog.

6. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Be careful with the lazer pen, it can damage their eyes if it accidentally shines into their eyes. Also an episode of DW showed a couple using a lazer pen to play with their GSD's. The dogs became reactive to their own shadows!!

7. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Because we like to have enough control over our dogs to be able to let them offlead to be a dog :rolleyes:

Dogless likes this.
  8. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I am aware of the laser pen blindness, we got taught that in primary school when everyone had them.
    And the only exercise those dogs got was the laser pen - hence obsession.

9. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Hang on in there, we all have terrible days when it comes to training. At least you are bothering to train your dog unlike some numpties out there :thumbup:

Practice practice and more practice ;) :p xx

10. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

because we are so emotionally evolved unlike the majority of emotionally stunted (cave) men ;) :p :lol:

11. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

So when you are shining it at a distance how do you know it isnt hitting your dog's eyes?

12. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

We've all been there. Zimba would have sessions where he just looked into space :rolleyes:

My tip is to accept it happens and tomorrow is another day. Just continue as you have been.

13. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Because he's far behind it?

14. beris

beris PetForums Senior

Kiva is still a very young dog, you maybe expecting too much. From your comments it sounds as though you got frustrated at training class which would be passed on to Kiva making her worse. You need to stay calm, if possible:cool:
    I would suggest that you use "watch me" in lots of places, before you feed her, before exercise, before playing, etc, it then should become a habit with kiva. BUT, it takes time and German Shepherds are very slow to mature.
    I hope this helps you.

15. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Hang in there :)

I think we have all had the odd (haha) less than perfect class. You've had some great advice. My only extra thing would be if Tink is becoming unfocussed with the thing is is supposed to be doing just taking her to one side and doing some 'easy-peasies' that i know she will get right so she has a boost of treats and praise.:w00t:

Dog training is definitely a marathon and not a sprint :):blush:

16. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Thank you for all the kind words :D

Thanks for all the tips lucysnewmum. I will be going back to basics and definitely 'proofing' everything too! I won't change any words, I know that would just confuse her. As i said I have a teenage human so am fully aware that just because they don't do as you ask doesn't mean for a second that they didn't understand what u wanted them to do ;) ha ha
    The treats I use for training are garlic sausage, hot dog and squeezy cheese so they are pretty smelly :wink:

Shrap, I was thinking the same thing last night laid in bed ;) ha ha if we are out on a walk and she see's a dog food doesn't seem to distract her but she will often be easily distracted by her wubba being swung near her! Lol thanks for that :D I will give that a go instead of treats, she does love a good game of tuggy ;)

5Rivers, thank you for your words of wisdom and helpful advice :rolleyes: :p

Thank you Beris :) I do wait for eye contact before giving her food, and letting her in or out of the door etc, but she just seemed to glaze over last night ha ha
    The trainer actually congratulated me on staying calm, but yes I was definitely more tense and aggravated and as much as I tried to be outwardly calm I guess you can't kid a dog like you can a trainer ;) ha ha

And everyone else, thank you :D today is a new day, onwards and upwards! :)

17. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Thanks Moonviolet :) that's what we did last night, went into the corner and did some sit, down, stand etc which she did lovely and got lots of treats and ear scratches. I suppose we are all entitled to off days ;) ha ha

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I think we have all been there; at around 9 months Kilo went through a stage of me needing to go all the way back to basics with some aspects of training; I remember posting a really distraught and stressed thread on here....and of course my getting stressed made everything much worse :eek::eek:. I knew that - but couldn't stop it :eek:.

It sounds as if you are doing far better than I managed to by not becoming too stressed and staying relaxed so I am sure that with the help of all the good suggestions you have received that you will move on swiftly from here :D:D.

19. Kimbamocca

Kimbamocca PetForums Junior

Oh, I know how you feel! I have exactly the same with Kimba. She is now 1 year old and it seems that she lost and forgot EVERYTHING she learned.
    Some days I am really so sad, I can't tell you..
    But everyone told me: keep calm and carry on !:D
    She didn't forget, she just don't want to hear and one day it will be over. It's the adolescent phase!
    I know it is easy said but I had the same experience with Mocca and now she is 2,5 years and she is fine, so it's not hopeless.

Chin up, you will manage it ;)

20. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Now I have a cure for people like you Kivasmum, it will make you feel sooooooo much better, it involves me swapping your occasionally naughty girl for my almost always naughty girl, then after a couple of days, when you have no hair left through pulling it out and you have concussion through doing this :mad2: and you can ring me and I may (or may not ;)) swap back, then Kiva will seem like an angel :D. Seriously though, I remember Henrick going through a stage where he seemed to loose his brain, he suddenly didnt understand (or didnt want to understand) anything I asked him to do, it didnt last long and he grew out of it now hes back to being my angel again, to counteract my problem child, mentioning no names but it rhymes with smella ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice