Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

free roaming dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leah84, May 26, 2010.

1. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

just thought i`d ask other opinions. there`s a dog round here that is allowed to roam as it pleases (in all honesty a lot are) and it`s a terrier cross but will chase any dog to sniff their bum. muffin was fine with it and would shy away from the dog but banjo get really stressed out about it. also since the dog is free roaming it could easily get knocked down which worries me. i hate people who let their dog roam free and am considering ringing the dog warden but am i being too severe?? the way i see it the dog could get injured pr cause another dog to be injured.

it`s a very friendly little thing but i always see it wondering and feel so worried that it may come in to harm. just thought i`d seek other advice

2. leashedForLife

i always report a roaming dog, and if i can catch the dog i wait to have the ACC pick the dog up; it is not safe for the dog roaming, it is not safe for drivers + cars, the dog could start a fight or eat something dangerous, anything can happen -

what if some nasty kids got the dog, and tormented or just terrified him? :(
    stoning, etc, can leave lifelong behavior problems. heck, he could drink from a puddle and ingest anti-freeze, for little dogs a couple of spoonsful is potentially dangerous.

i;d catch him if i could, and call for a pick-up. :) that way he;s safe, and the owner can pick him up + be warned -
    some folks just don;t get it, the risk is NOT just to *their dog* - liability is total - if he causes a multiple car crash,
    they can be bankrupt in a weeks time; property damage, medical, everything is THEIR liability.
    i hope the owner has a major policy.

-- terry

3. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i would definately phone the dog warden for the dogs own safty

4. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

if he's out a lot I'd call someone about it. They'll go and talk to the owner in a friendly manner about why it's important to keep their dog in.

Our dog used to get out all the time (I still don't know how!) and would, according to people who saw him, wander along his usual walk routes and somehow always ended up at my dads place (previously lived there with him) so i'd have to go and collect him.
    Despite him being good with roads and not generally fussed with other dogs I'd never purposefully let him run around on his own, seems strange that anyone would unless they live in a particularly rural area.

5. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Ring the local council and report it to the dog warden, giving as much information as you can. The local council is responsible for dealing with strays. :)

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Call the dog warden I did when my old neighbours insisted on chucking their very territorial and dog aggressive terrier mix out instead of actually walking it. He was dangerous in my opinion but they didn't see anything wrong with it. I don't know what happened to him but I know they were talking about DDA

7. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

thanks, i`ll give the council a ring today. i`ve heard others complaining as it rips up the garbage bags sop i`m wondering if others have already reported it poor mite

8. violets934

violets934 PetForums Junior

Yes you are definately doing the right thing, for its safety poor thing :scared:

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

We have 3 dogs in my neighbourhood that are let loose to roam and it really bothers me:
    a) they can get run over
    b) they run around the neighbourhood barking and unsettle all the other dogs.
    c) they have come into our garden and taken things/plus taken a dump. Our garden gates are almost always closed, but if for whatever reason they are not, the dogs will be in before we know it (this usually happens when I'm out with Bella as I'm paranoid when I'm home about all agtes being closed before I let her out.
    I know the dogs take things though as I ahve seen them holding one of my slippers and walking about! I also found oen of Bella's toys inside the garden where one of these dogs live!

I don't know if they are microchipped. If they are not and i call the council to come pick them up they will most probably, in fact almost definitely, be put down. So I'm not doing anything about it.

10. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Better that they end up run over or poisoned, attacked etc? :confused:

Most councils keep the dog overnight in holding kennels and they are then transferred to a rescue. In my experience, most of the dogs I collected as strays were rehomed. Some were put down if they were aggressive or ill but not 'all'. I have also seen the car accidents strays can cause. One car did a somersault after it hit the kerb avoiding a lurcher and landed on its roof, skidding across to the other side of the road. The young man in it did not survive. :frown: Another time I spent a good ten minutes trying to ease a cat out of a stray staffys' mouth. The cat died in the end. If only someone had called me sooner.:confused1:

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

We are in the year 2010 now.. A dog isn't just put down... They get taken in over nighht given 7 days for collection then are assessed and put up for rehoming.. They only PTS dogs the are potentially dangerous.. eg: have attacked staff..

12. leashedForLife

surely, nel, if U call Council U can tell them at least the one address where ONE dog lives?
    even if they are not chipped or licensed, they could ask, *is this Ur dog?* - or leave a notice on the door.

i don;t think that death is inevitable - if the dogs are adoptable, they will most likely go to be placed.
    thats assuming, too, that the current-owners DON;t get off their butts, and go bail the dog - which they might,
    and a lecture from the staff about keeping them at home would not hurt.

its up to U - but i;d want them off the street, its safer all around. ;)
    JMO + IME,
    --- terry

13. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Nellybelly lives in Cyprus I believe and not the UK, so please bear in mind things may be different :)

When I went away to the North a few times there were a lot of stray dogs. Most strays weren't treated like pets and just like the cats people in the restaurants were pretty unpleasant to them and used to kick them about. Saying that one chap had a boxer and absolutely doted on it, but the strays were a different matter really. I'm not even sure if they have lots of dog wardens/what they do with them if they are reported but I would not be at all surprised to hear a lot of them get put down pretty quickly. Its sad but I wouldn't :(

I completely understand why you leave them be Nellybelly and I would probably do the same! There were a few wandering about near the villa where we stayed but we'd just give them scraps/the odd fuss and ignore them the rest of the time as they didn't do any real harm, they were all quite sweet woofers, wanted to take them home..!

#13 GoldenShadow, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  14. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

That just isn't true... many dogs get put down at pounds after 7 days all over the UK... many pounds are private kennels and don't have the option to rehome. Some keep dogs but when they run out of space the longest stayers have to be put to sleep to make room and others work with rescues.

Some 11,000 strays (is that the figure its on the DT site, just off to check) are put down every year, many of them staffies without an aggressive bone in them just not enough places for htem to go.

Looking at the DT survey, for 2009 of the people who under took their surveys (local authorities) there were some 9,300 unclaimed stray dogs put to sleep. Of those approximately 1,300 had aggression issues, 1,400 had health issues and 300 due to the DDA. Still leaves an awful lot of non aggressive healthy dogs being put to sleep!

#14 EmCHammer, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    GillyR likes this.
  15. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

I think that the only time it's acceptable to leave a dog roaming is when you live in a very rural area. My sister in law's parents let their dog roam but they live on a farm at the top of a mountain with nothing around for miles.
    In any other situation I just couldn't do it- I'd be a nervous wreck!

16. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I was chatting to a Spanish friend about this earlier. Here there is one office with 2 people dealing with all stray and abused animals, in the south of the island. Otherwise the Civil guardia are left to leave them at charity run rescue homes, if these are unable to take them they are PTS. Other countries are not quite so considerate to domestic animals sadly, or do not have the facilities like the Uk. This may also be true for Cyprus. There is no such thing as breed rescues in the Canaries, and as far as I know only 3-5 rescue homes in a place that 820,257 people live.

17. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Well said !!! - it is shocking and so sad.

Leah, hun, any idea if it belongs to anyone, my guess is that it is a stray, especally if it is scavanging food.
    Maybe call the dogs trust?

18. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i tried ringing them but the phone rang out the entire day (in fact the phone to the vet and rspca rang out for most of the day, i think everyone has me on block lmao) so i`ll have to try again tomorrow.

i live close to the city center so anything could happen to it, there`s idiot boy racers galore down here. i know swansea dog warden keeps the dogs and rehomes them if they`re not claimed. i just see how anyone can be ok leaving their dog to roam without supervision, i`d be going out of my mind with worry wondering what it was doing

19. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

it`s not a stray but i`ve got absolutely no idea where it lives. i would follow it but banjo goes loopy around it. it`s got a collar but no tag

20. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Dogs Trust, RSPCA etc have no jurisdiction or responsibilities over strays so they cannot take them in off the streets. Only the council and (at a push) the police hold any responsibility and power for dealing with strays in the UK.

Any dog that is off its' owners property with no one responsible for it is a stray under the law, even dogs who wander outside their own gates and pootle about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice