Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Free online uni courses

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nicky10, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I thought some people might be interested. You can pay if you want the certificate but the free course gives you access to everything anyway. They're from some of the top universities on a lot of different subjects
    https://www.coursera.org/
    https://www.edx.org/

2. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

4. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I've often wanted to pick some random topic I usually wouldn't think to learn about.

Like Sewage Management. Or Circuit Boards.

I like to broaden my horizons. :D

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

There's more interesting ones :p I just finished one looking at the historical evidence for biblical events, why it was created, what purpose it still holds etc. Before that was one on animal behaviour focusing mostly on wild animals. The tropical coastal ecosystems one was interesting if depressing, it was run by people who are doing a study of all the reefs etc well trying to. You got to look at the real data

The bible one is still up for anyone's whos interested. I particularly liked the interview with the guy who's trying to do a history of the region just on the archaeological evidence with the bible as only a small input
    https://class.coursera.org/biblefuture-001

#5 Nicky10, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

7. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

Some of them course look interesting to learn.

8. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Oh thank you,

I love learning new things so will have many hours of fun!:001_tt1:

9. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Binocular useage then....

10. pugfan34

pugfan34 Banned

I love your ferret and hedgehog pics :) I've never been able to get another one and still find cheerios he hid around the house from time to time. Amazing the places he got in and out of :)
    MIT in the states also has an array of online free courses but this posting box is fussy with its https address me thinks.
    I took the EE course they offered in beta a few years ago. You had to register and be selected for a "scholarship" ie they randomly chose your email address. It was very informative and very much like the actual "irl" course. They even gave access to the web portal that let you communicate with the professors and watch vids of some lectures and the ppt from it all the way over here. Made it very complete. I never actually followed up on really getting credits or anything, just wanted to learn something new like others here :)

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's basically what they do on those websites. You watch lectures, there's forums to discuss any issues with other learners and the professors and assistants will try to answer questions on there too. There's assignments you can do as well which are optional.

I looked at the MIT ones but they want you to buy all these expensive textbooks :nonod:

12. pugfan34

pugfan34 Banned

Um yeah that is why I added it to your list :confused1:
    I think your internet is broken. e-books are offered for free. I doubt you would want a book shipped from the states. whatevs

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Sorry if you took offence I didn't mean to :eek:. The mit courses I looked at you had to buy the textbooks and they were expensive as uni textbooks tend to be. I guess that's only some of them

14. AJ600

AJ600 PetForums Senior

Not sure about us but in uk most councils offer free adult education, and more practical courses. I've done a motorcycle mechanics, household electricals, sewing and japanese cooking course. Tbf the last one cost me £20.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice