Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Free information evening in bournemouth

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucysnewmum, May 20, 2010.

1. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

hi everyone.
    wasnt sure where to post this information so decided to put it here. please spread the word.

Myself and fellow trainer, PleasantPupz, are holding an informal, free evening of information all about dogs. we will be covering topics like canine behaviour and body language, how to clicker train successfully, doggie first aid, how to keep children safe around dogs, all about our voluntary work with Pound puppy rescue and, of course, details of our training courses that we will be running in the not too distance future. everyone who attends will receive a free fact pack to take away with them.

The event will take place on Tuesday July 6th from 7pm at Hurn Bridge Sports Club, Avoncauseway, Hurn, Christchurch. Please respect the club policy and do not bring your dog.

We look forward to meeting as many of you as would like to join us. please email myself, carefree.k9s@hotmail.co.uk or Tania, PleasantPupz@hotmail.co.uk for further details.

Gilly

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That sounds great - pity I am too far east and don't drive, but if anyone from over my way is going I'd be happy to pay petrol money.

3. lucysnewmum

make sure you come and introduce yourself if you can make it! would love to put a face to the name! where in hampshire are you exactly?

4. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

bit to far for me :(

5. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i was just searching the net for something like this. and i'm over in canford heath.

i shall pop it in my diary, see you then

6. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Sounds like an interesting evening! I hope it all goes well for you and that plenty of people come along. :thumbup:

7. lucysnewmum

looking forward to meeting you...see you there..:thumbup:

8. leashedForLife

Bump..... :thumbup:

9. lucysnewmum

thanks Terry.... have had quite a good response from some leaflets i put out on the car boot sale last weekend too...so am hoping it will be a great night for all who can make it. :)

10. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

looking forward to this just started clicker training and hoping to pick up a few points on the evening

11. lucysnewmum

Way to go!!! are you in classes or doing it yourself? there will be a demonstration of the effectiveness of clicker training on the night itself which i am sure you will enjoy
    gilly

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Won't be possible for me to come for several reasons - the main one being I am too far away in Portsmouth!

But if I could - and Merlin was a bit better around other dogs (we are working on it) - I would have loved come along as an 'ordinary person' to show what can be achieved with clicker training. I bought a clicker and a book and read up on it and mainly trained him that way. I found it amazingly great to house train him, as I could click the moment he wee'd or poo'd in the garden, and he would come to me after to get his treat - he no longer needs treating, but it has developed a habit in him to come straight indoors after weeing etc. which can be very useful in the middle of winter!

Then when we were picked to appear on the Richard & Judy show, I trained with Richard Curtis who utilised what he already knew plus some extra lure & reward training (which he advocates for HTM above clickers, as the hand signals used in the luring develop into body language commands for the dog) for our performance. We will never be competition standard with it BUT I would love to show people that it's not demeaning to do doggy dancing, and you can get a lot out of it in the privacy of your own home. To the dog, it's just another great fun game which also happens to use his brain. This has so many uses, when for any reason your dog can't go out, or you yourself are unwell, it is the best form of home exercise. If you use the same piece of music then sometimes the dog gets excited whenever he hears it! Somebody needs to start promoting HTM as a fun and therapeutic game for any dog to do, rather than a competitive thing.

#12 MerlinsMum, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  13. lucysnewmum

sounds like you are doing a great job Merlinsmum! i havent done HTM yet but Tania who i work alongside is setting up classes in this so i will be learning on the job so to speak... cant wait!!! i would love to get into flyball too...dont think my Lucy would enjoy it though...she is so layed back.... if i throw a ball she goes....ohyeah???? and you want me to do what exactly??? haha.

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Job or not - I love what I learned from the Richard & Judy thing. I think more people should be encouraged to try HTM. Unfortunately it's gone a bit awry, because people see Tina & Chandi doing marvellous things but don't realise you don't need to be that good to have fun with it at home.

Unlike Agility (unless you have the equipment and a big garden) and Flyball, this isn't a dog-to-dog social sport. It really is something everyone can try at home and never have to show off in front of anyone else. If you have a dog that hates other dogs then it's ideal.

It's the first 'private' dog sport and someone should be promoting it as such. It is a shame I don't have a video camera or I could show you how much Merlin loves it in our tiny living room, and how it doesn't matter when we get it wrong; how excited he gets when I gather some treats and put some music on, stand up and get him involved. As I saw when training with the great Richard Curtis, with is dogs when the treat pot comes out, they KNOW what's coming, and have a great time and be treated after. I saw him working with Disco, his PWD, and even had the chance to try my routine with Disco herself.

We sometimes get the chance to show off to visitors and occasionally, to kids on the street (I used to practice on the street when training for the TV show). Nobody ever says the dog is being demeaned cos they can see his happy face & ethusiasm, he shines and beams and in fact gets over enthusiastic!

Gotta be the best dog game ever invented! with loads of practical applications too. It's 3 years since we did that - but it's still Merlin's favourite game.

15. lucysnewmum

am glad you both have an activity that you really enjoy! :thumbup:
    your post completely reinforces the fact that you dont need to be competetive in training. the bond you have with your dog will surely be as strong, if not stronger, than any other owner as you have found what motivates your dog and this in itself is rewarding enough for you both.

with regard to you comment about agility

Unlike Agility (unless you have the equipment and a big garden)

i beg to differ. you dont need lots of fancy equipment or a big garden to practise agility skills. our teachings are all about having fun with your dog no matter what facilities you have got. Agility skills are basically jumping, going over, under or through things. On a dog walk you can teach your dog to go under a picket gate, or over a protruding root of a tree. In the home you can make a mini jump with a broom and a couple of mugs or plant pots. If the kids have a hula hoop you can wedge it between two arm chairs to teach through etc. or you can create a 'pole' between two chairs with a bed sheet to practise the under.

At carefree k9s we are not about training to competition level. We are about having fun, bonding with our dogs, and enjoying the precious, short time we get to share our lives with them. am really sorry you live too far out to come along...I am sure you would have really enjoyed it.
    gilly

16. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i am doing it myself as he is getting his second jab tomorrow, looking forward to your info evening.......

anyone else from the forum coming as it would be great to meet up with everyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice