Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Free feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Acacia86, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi, My cats have always been free fed. There is food down all day (dry) they have always been bought up like this.

None of my cats have any health issues. All the weights are perfect, even after neutering/spaying.

I was just wondering if anyone else free feeds?

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Yep we leave dry down all day

They have tinned aswell but not all day and with 6 cats they are not always in at the same time to eat

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Oh good i'm not the only one ;) i only feed dry. But they do have treats of wet. Like a tin of Applaws between them. Or chicken, fish etc

xx

4. Spaniel mad

Mine have a couple of tins a day aswell as the odd tin of tuna and some boiled chicken

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I tried feeding wet as well but either they wouldn't eat it or there was tiffs lol!

Do you use the water you boil the chicken? (or tuna etc) If you are worried that they don't drink enough (and lets face it cats are notorious for that!) just put some in their drinking water bowl and it encourages them to take in more water!
    I found this out after worrying about FLUTD! Because my lot are terrible for not drinking enough! lol!
    xx

6. Spaniel mad

No my cats drink plenty

They share the water bowl with the dogs lol

7. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I've got five cats & free feed them all premium dry cat food & like you give them wet food occassionally for a change, but most of them aren't really that interested in it. Because cats are grazers, I think it's much better to free feed, unless you've got cats who don't know when to stop, lol :D I sometimes give mine poached white fish for a change - again, some eat it, some don't, but it's there if they feel like it! ;)

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Lol!! Mine like the dogs too :confused: funny little creatures lol!! x

Glad you do to!! lol!! I have always understood cats are grazers prefering not eat big meals in one go. But i think its also how they are bought up. But you are completely right though some kitties just don't know when to stop and end up putting weight on xx

9. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Cats arent grazers - yes, they would eat several small meals in the wild, but it wouldnt be on tap, they would have to stalk, hunt and kill to get their meal. They wouldnt always be successful, so some days they may only eat once or twice, some days not at all. What they would catch would be small mammals and birds - prey that is full of moisture which means they don't need to drink much water, which is completely unnatural for them anyway - they don't have a big thirst drive.

Dry food, is so dehydrating and even though cats drink a lot, its never enough to compensate and low moisture means they can be prone to problems like flutd and kidney disease.

Having said that, I think dry food is great to have around to use as 'treat' food. Mine all eat mainly raw with some high meat wet and they get 3 small meals a day which is more like they'd eat in the wild. :)

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Mine won't touch raw as there main source of food! They love their dry kibble. And they do drink plenty, although only because i add juices lol! i don't mind i would do anything for them!

11. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The cats and the dog are all free feeders, as was my last dog. They are all good weights and not too heavy. Obviously I have to check to make sure they are drinking enough as well.

12. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I think it is a great way to feed! Although my rescue dog can not be free fed unfortunately :(
    x

13. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Cats did graze in the wild as they would hunt and kill animals/mice/birds and eat until satisfied and then bury the rest to return to later. This is why cats bring dead mice etc back to the house as they consider this to be their area to store their food for later. Some cats even try to cover their food in their bowls. Both mine did that! At first I thought they were confusing themselves with their litter but did a lot of research on it and found this to be the reason. They were trying to store it until later. Dogs/wolves etc however will eat until it is gone and as they hunt and feed in packs, therefore have to try and eat as much as they can before others eat it all. As we all know cats will bring you mice and birds etc as a present as they like to think they are feeding you. Nice but something I'd rather give that a miss!

So, basically I feed both wet and dry. I leave the dry down all day and give a little wet food twice a day. Always done this and always had healthy cats who were within their normal weight range.

Sharon
    x

14. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Free feeding is not natural and will cause health problems later in life. They evolved to hunt (not always successfully) so are better equipped to go without food than have too many meals.
    Dry food is one of the worst things that ever happened to dogs and cats. It is meat (usually by-products) kept indefinitely at room temperature. The only way you can do that is by using very toxic preservatives, despite what the label may say. Cats are very sensitive to chemicals.
    The reason adult cats won't eat raw is the same as kids. If you bring up your kids on junk food, then say it's all healthy, raw food from now on, you'd have a riot on your hands.
    But it is possible (and beneficial for many reasons) to make the change over.
    Best Cat Health

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

LOL!! A couple of mine still do this!!! Its so funny to see them! Bless xx

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My mother free feeds :yesnod: They have wet in the morning then dry is down all day. Most are house cats and they are a lovely weight.

I'm not going to free feed Cotton I don't think. She's currently on a mix of wet/dry (usually wet in the morning and dry later on).

17. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I know plenty cats that have lived to very ripe old ages and they have been fed purely on dry food. With no health complications just passed through old age.

It is hard to generalise that all cats should be fed a specific diet. Some cats totally refuse raw (and yes i mean kittens bought up on it too) some eat dry for a while then decide not to touch it, visa versa for wet too.
    I believe follow your cat, look for what they seem to like and what they dislike too. I feed the best diet i can for my cats but along the way i know they love it, are very healthy and extremely happy on it :)

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I found this

Makes me wonder if raw feeding is beneficial at all! :confused:

19. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I free feed my cats but i have to watch Horris and tidbit as they will hog the bowels. They get wet food twice a day. Both are high quality foods with no by products and low ash chicken etc.

Some days i will feed horris completly raw such as fish,beef and chicken as well as chicken hearts that he loves.

They also get treats of tuna ,salmon,herring, and ham.

Ive noticed vast improvments with my cats new feeding routine then the one they had before.

20. Spaniel mad

My cats are greedy. Just gave them some tinned food and they went mental lol

what biscuits do you feed yours??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice