Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Free feeding or timed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ally, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ally

ally Banned

We have always given Ruby dried food, free fed, but when we got Dyson he was used to the 10 second rule feeding -if they don't start eating within 10 seconds the food is taken away until the next mealtime! Ruby had always been a problem as she never ate much (she is a huge dog for not eating) so we decided to change her feeding rules to Dyson's and from the first time she ate it straight away and now eats 2 proper meals a day and is losing weight because she is kickstarting her metabolism.

What way do you feed your dogs?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I just give mine 2 meals a day. Its gone within 2 mins.

If i free fed id have 2 very porky boys.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Lone dogs do tend to be more layed back at meal times, you having another dog there will be the fear if i dont eat it he will dogs are always protective over food.

4. ally

ally Banned

Sorry I meant to explain free fed here means putting the recommended amount in a bowl and leaving it down until it is eaten. The funny thing is that Dyson eats his food as if it is his last ever and on timing him his record is 11 seconds:eek:hmy: whereas Ruby is more ladylike and eats each biscuit individually and does sometime walk away from her bowl. leaving some in that she doesn't want. The trick there is to be quicker than Dyson to reach it and remove the food.

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

food gets put down at designated meal times and it can be eaten whenever the dog pleases. if bowl is empty at next meal time, it gets filled again.

6. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Mine get their meals and if after 10 mins they havnt eaten it i take it up. This usually only happens with the dry food

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Many moons ago when I had just 1 dog I left his food down, now I have 5 it's down for around 20 seconds and gone. Anything left is wolfed down by someone else!

8. animallover111

I remember my vet telling me its not good to leave food down he called it "grazing" though i cant remember why he said not to do this.....:confused:...though i dont have this problem...all mine eat straight away and i am left with empty bowls everytime.....:)..i also feed raw and it wouldnt be hygenic to have food left on the floor.....

#8 animallover111, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

I feed my dog two times a day and I take the bowl away if he doesn't eat. I don't have a time frame, but I don't leave the bowl for very long if he doesn't eat. However, so far the only time I have hade to remove the bowl because Lyle didn't eat was when he'd been to the vet and been sedated :)

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A lot of people say its because its not "natural" and that they wouldnt do it "in the wild".

I see nothing wrong with leaving a set amount of dried food down for the day. You can prevent some problems such as bloat. Of course its harder with 2 dogs, but normally in multiple dog households, competition comes into it, and dogs tend to eat better and faster.

Its when unlimited food is given that its a problem. Unlike cats, dogs WILL over eat.

11. animallover111

Thanks Nonnie......

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mine are timed. 8am and 5pm with treats in between

13. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I do a bit of both as mine are fed kibble and raw.
    The kibble is put down in the morning and they pick at it through the day but if there's any left, it's picked up just after lunch time.
    The raw food is given at tea time (5-6pm) and thats gone in 5 mins. I do put more kibble down again afterwards but pick it back up at 8pm, if there's any left, it's thrown away and the bowls washed out and put away.

14. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Sammy's is put down at set times but never had the problem of any being left after a certain time lol....its gone in about 2 mins :D

15. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Ours have a set time to feed..we have so many dogs that if we left food down all day we wouldnt know who has eatten..

They have a hand ful of dry in the morning and for dinner they have there raw tripe and dry..or their raw bones! :)

16. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Mine's a complicated situation at the moment. They have set mealtimes and food is taken away after a few seconds if not eaten, but Selma only eats when she's hungry, maybe one proper meal every other day and just picks at the other mealtimes.
    Patty, however, likes her food but is very secretive about how she eats it (past issues). When she's at her own home, she is given about an hour to eat each meal, but she always waits until she's sure no-one is around or coming back into the room. She doesn't get that luxury here so it's not much of a summer holiday for her!

17. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

They eat straight away and don't leave anything so I don't really get a choice whether to leave it down or not. [​IMG]

#17 HighPr00, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fussy dog. There's days when Candy will wolf her food but most of the time she only has a few bites.

19. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

It goes down at a set time and is gone in about 1 minute :p

But before we switched to Scooter's current food he sometimes wasn't so keen so his bowl was put down and removed ten minutes later, empty or otherwise (we didn't take it if he was still eating but he usually just left it half full anyway).

20. ally

ally Banned

Nonnie, I have an exception to the cat rule----one of ours eats to excess and then goes and vomits the excess:cursing:; silly cat he is.

We feed our dogs when they come back from their morning walk and again after the afternoon walk on the beach---- Dyson can't wait to get out of the car to get in for his dinner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice