Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FRAUD! Please be aware when you are online

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ladywiccana, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

I have just had my bank account hacked into :( :mad: :cursing:

Dont ask me how but they did it, for a strange amount of £14.99 which was taken out, but the date was for the 27th which is next monday :idea: :eek:ut:.

Anyway i rang the bank as i googled what was on my statement and all i can say is OH MY GOD! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :cursing:.

They are going to refund the money as she said yes it is very vague :idea: :eek:hmy:, and gonna send me a form to sign to send back so they can check the person out. In the mean time i can still use my account and they have assured me that it is now safe!

SO PLEASED BE WARNED WHEN SHOPPING ONLINE MAKE SURE THEY ARE WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE AND IF YOUR STILL HAPPY THEN GO AHEAD AND MAKE THE TRANSACTION, BUT PLEASE BE VERY VERY CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Especially you younger members that have accounts dont be duped into giving out your details willy nilly!

I was lucky i guess this time. I aint gonna let it happen again, as im not gonna use my card ever again if i can help it especially not ONLINE!

SO PLEASE BE CAREFULL OUT THERE!

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

How awful for you! I have been a victim of fraud three times now.

I don't mean to alarm you but we were told the exact same by the bank. Only to find out that the amounts where still coming out. It was then that Lloyds admitted that even if with our cards cancelled, if the person responsible had set up monthly payments using our details the bank could cancel them but there was nothing stopping the company reinstating the payment. So keep a close eye on your account for the next 6 months as they could have set up other payments.

In the end we had to change bank accounts. I no longer purchase anything off the net, I have got rid of Paypal and I shred everything that comes through our door with a name and address on, let alone sensitive information.

However that hasn't stopped DH using dodgy ATMs :cursing:

3. Ladywiccana

I hate that we cant trust people these days do you?

I even go into the bank now to get my money i have for a long time, because i dont trust the ATM's. And yes its the same bank, and id already thought the same as you, and yes i feel its to do with ebay too! What a world we live in......................No wonder God has hit the self destruct button ....:eek:hmy:

4. Bethany

Bethany Guest

OMFG! cant believe im reading this Lady , i was about to order somethin offline as well. I ent now! . Sorry you was neally duped though.

5. Ladywiccana

Its such a shame its happened, cos i do a lot of my shopping online, especially at xmas god knows what ill do now unless i get my family to do it lol.:eek:hmy: :smilewinkgrin:.

It really does scare you sometimes, you just never know who's watching you or why do you??

6. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Were not all bad..:( Sorry to here Lady W You really have to know who you are buying off and especially the fraud e-mails that ask for bank details..so many are caught out with them..As a web trader the one thing i have never added to our site is the option to store your card details for future orders..no.no..no not a good idea.:eek:ut: Allways try to look for the 128bit secure payments as there are as secure as you can get with online shopping, means as soon as you use your card online encryption codes are changed right away as to not give hackers the time to copy acc..;)

7. Ladywiccana

Ash you are one of the good guys im glad to say :p :D unfortunately these scoundrels spoil it for people like yourself, Im still gonna buy from you though lol ;) :smilewinkgrin:

8. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Thank You..;) It happens everyday of the week hun sorry to say, but have to agree, really trust sites that you shop with online, theres alot i won't use.:rolleyes:..And as i said shops that ask you to store card details for future orders..would not advice..;)

9. Ladywiccana

Im always wary in restaurants too, as they always seem to swipe the card twice??? Any one else noticed this????

10. Yourgifts Ourgifts

God i hate those swipe machines..we have one to use at shows and i hate them..try not to use them at all if i can..:rolleyes:

11. SeaThreePeeO

Visa has Verified By Visa.

It s where you can set up a username and password. Many sites operate this function so when you put your card details in it will redirect you to the Verified By Visa window where you put your username and password in. Its supposed to stop online catrd fraud completely as the transaction won't go through without the password.

Ladywiccana likes this.
  12. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Im so sorry to hear this! Hope it all gets sorted out, i think i might stop using thing like ebay ect!

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear this Lady W, people are disgusting!

They'll have a job trying to take anything out of my account, I'm £17.50 overdrawn! :001_tt2:

And I only shop on sites that have the padlock symbol. I can't remember the name of it but I know it means the site is approved and is very safe to shop with.

14. Ladywiccana

Hmmmmmmm i only had around a fiver in luckily, but i dont know if ill ever shop online again, i want to but gotta be so carefull.

15. SeaThreePeeO

One time we had fraud on our account they tried to take out over £200. Even though we didn't have any money in the account and no overdraught the bank appiled an unathourised OD and had the cheek to charge us £30.

Even though the bank accepted it was fraud it took a good old kicking and screaming fit in branch before they would wipe the OD charge. Needless to say I don't bank with Lloyds anymore.

When it first happened to us I felt as if this person had actually broken into my house and rifled through my most private stuff.

16. Ladywiccana

I know what you mean, its horrible! You just dont know who to trust do you?? I can understand why old people keep there savings at home! ( altho not really a good idea)

17. SeaThreePeeO

Well there's one good thing about DH being made redundant and Lloyds the festering armpit of the banking world defaulting on our loan and Credit card. Should anyone steal our identity they won't be able to get any credit! :D

18. I'm sorry to hear that :( At least you got your money back.

I use Paypal, thats apparently the safest way online, isn't it?

19. Ladywiccana

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

I had 207 pounds taken out my account by someone buying plane tickets! I got the money back but it was very stressful. The thing that annoys me is surely they should be able to catch the criminals who did this as you have to give your full name as it appears on your passport to buy plane tickets, I think they just can't be bothered to check it out.

Be careful if small amounts are deducted as sometimes this can be the criminals checking your bank details before making a larger withdrawal, I was lucky as they robbed me by stealing my card number so I only had to have that replaced.

I wouldn't blame buying things on the internet for the release of your details, there are many ways your bank details can be discovered, as long as you buy from a reputable sit with https: in the URL box as you enter checkout there isn't much more you can do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice