Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fractured hip

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Speedbird, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Speedbird

Speedbird PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Has anyone had any experience of a cat with a fractured hip?

Our beautiful big 2.5 yr old cat, we think, fell off the first floor bannister and landed downstairs either hurting himself on the bottom stair or lower bannister.

He has had X-rays and the vet diagnosed ruptured cruciate ligament, and prior to surgery had another examination, and as he didnt howl when they manouvered it, decised to re xray again and diagnosed the fracture. The vet has advised cage rest for 6 weeks. Then he will be xrayed again and if no improvement the the options are removal of the end of the bone or hip replacement.

Although its only been a week he's coping well with the cage rest, he doesn't really want to move much and we have a smaller cage we move him to in the lounge when we are sitting in there. He finds it painful to move, he kind of me-howls. He also has loxicom painkiller/anti inflam which he takes well from the syringe. His limp has not got any better over the past week.
    Has anyone had a cat with a fractured hip that can offer any advice. Do fractures heal? Has anyone had the operation to remove the knobbly bit on the end (stifle?) or had the hip replacement. Will he be pain free when recovered from either of those options. And lastly, the vet suggested getting a second opinion from Fitzpatrick referrals, has anyone any feedback on them?
    We do have pet insurance, but main our concern is that he does not suffer, and has good quality of life.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Speedbird, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Hello speedbird.
    Sorry to hear that your cat has got a problem with his Hip.
    I also have a 2 year old that didn't have a fracture but had a problem with the Hip and leg joint. Basically it was diseased and the top[ of the femur had to be cut away which left him with a floating leg limb.
    I don't know if this would be the same operation (if needed) on your cat.
    Archie our cat had this operation which is called Femoral Head Ostectomy 6 weeks ago and he is getting on very well and now has no pain.

We have not got insurance and they did offer a hip replacement as well.
    The hip replacement is a fairly new operation which has been out for about 2 years in cats. I decided to go with the other op as this op is new and with cats they like to jump about and thought that it could lead to complications later.

Our vet could not do the operation as he said that it needed an orthopaedic surgeon to do it and so we were referred to someone in Northants.
    They did a fantastic job and he was well looked after.
    He did not need to be caged we just had to empty a room of furniture and keep him in there for a while.

Hope this bit of advice is of help to you. If you need to ask anything just let me know.
    I hope your cat doesn't need an operation and will heal on it's own. How ever if they are in pain then an operation is best.

Good Luck xx

3. Speedbird

Hi Jill3
    Thank you so much for the reply.

Glad your cat is healing well. Was it the British shorthair cat in your photo that had the op? My cat is a chunky 6.5 kg boy.
    Yes I think it is the femoral head ostectomy op that was an option, ans I believe our vet could do that.

Does your cat have a limp at all now? How long did he stay at the vet when he had the op?

The hip replacement may not be an option because of his age being just 2.5 yrs, as apparently it is not lifelong lasting.

Thanks x

4. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I have never had a cat who fractureda hip but many years ago I had a cat with a permanently dislocated hip.

We suspect that he dislocated it due to being hit by a car. My vet put the hip back in twice but it refused to stay in. I was told that the cat would be fine as the surrounding structures would heal around the hip. They did. The vet told me that there was no point in putting the hip back in again as it was obviously not going to stay in. They didn't prescribe any cage rest. I think that they probably wanted to help him keep his muscle tone although it was so many years ago that I find it difficult to remember precisely. He recovered completely, so well, that more than once he jumped onto the bonnet of the car as I pulled into the drive almost giving me heart failure. :eek:

I know that dislocation is nowhere near as bad as a fracture but knowing that my cat was fine, if a little mis-shapen LOL may give you some hope. My boy got around initially by leaning against the walls to support the bad hip.

5. Speedbird

Hi Forester

Thanks for the advice and giving me hope.
    He seems to be grumbling a bit more today. He's been in the cage for a week so maybe he's feeling a bit stiff. I'll pop him back to the vet if need be.

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Yes it is Archie that has had the operation. He is 2 .5 years old as well.
    Archie limps a bit but it is early days, he only had it done 6 weeks ago.
    The main thing is he is not in pain.
    We walk him on a harness every day so he uses his leg properly and exercises it.
    If your cat is grumbling is he in pain? Have the vets given him any pain killers.

Attached Files:

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

This guy has an excellent reputation nationally. Neighbours' (and their dogs!) were very pleased with treatment there. You may remember he featured in a TV prog a few years ago. Hopefully someone (Dog Section?) with direct experience will be along shortly with more information.

Hope your cat makes a quick recovery!

8. Speedbird

Hi Jill3
    He is having painkiller - loxicom once a day. He only squeaks when he stands up, and is restricting his movements as much as possible. When i give him his food he just lays in his basket and looks at me with those big amber eyes, so I hold the bowl while he eats it. It's true about cats having staff!
    He seems brighter today. He gets confinement to one room when we are in it from the end of the second week which it is this weekend.

9. Speedbird

Hi Ianthi
    Thanks for the message.
    I'd love to know more about Fitzpatrick referrals if anyone has used them
    Cat seems a little happier today, he's doing resells well in the cage. Two weeks on Friday, he can then come into the living room with us when we are in there and cage when we're not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice