Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foxy problem

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I think the rabbits will also hear the sonic thing, the spikes look good although I don know how effective they would be,

I like the thick metal runs that trixie make, they come with pegs to stick them in the ground although u'd be better off building something on concrete or using boards with mesh for grass areas

3. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Hmm according to the description of the ultrasonic thingy its safe around all animals apart from dogs and foxes. Even states its safe for rabbits.

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I really like that prickle strip stuff, though i'm not sure how effective it would be for foxes... I would use it incase of burglars!!!!! lol :D

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Then again... I use carpet tack on my fence... :blushing:

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

7. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

8. frags

frags PetForums VIP

looks bloody fantastic hun

9. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

10. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Dont forget that theres no such thing as 100% fox proof. If you have a shed or a garage where the hutches can be housed, this would be better for overnight.

For runs during the day, then the heavier the duty the better. We have loads of foxes in my area, but non come into my back garden. Could be because of the 2 Staffies i have.

12. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

My neighbour has the spikes thingys on the fence between us and her to try and keep the cats away but they dont work! Not sure if it would be the same with foxes but the cats seem to know how to get round them

13. borderer

borderer Guest

buy a gun nothing else will stop foxy if he wants the he will get them:D

14. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Yeah we're getting a shed to put the hutches in over night so they're safe then its just something for during the day so they can still run on grass but are safe at the same time.

15. frags

frags PetForums VIP

bordy my hubby agree's with you lol

1 person likes this.
  16. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

So do i :D

17. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

My rabbits used to live out and were frequently visited by foxes but I've never lost a bun to a fox. My dad made my run and he used thick metal mesh on the sides as foxes (and rats) can bite through chicken wire. I just had chicken wire on the bottom though as it was kinder to the rabbits feet. I had two bolts on both the house and run just in case one slid open when the fox brushed past or something. Their house was solid wood with a thick perspex window so nothing could get in there.

You can buy thick wire fencing from garden centres and then I'd tack it over the chicken wire for double protection.

I never tried to stop foxes getting into the garden as I knew the rabbits were safe. The rabbits knew they were safe too and would still sit in the run when a fox was staring at it through the wire!

-x-

18. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thats where the problem comes. I've never had to confine my rabbits to a run, I mean any cat that comes in the garden gets chased out by Rosie but a fox would be a completely different story. I hate the thought of having to keep them shut in a run but seems its the only safe option for them. Still want to keep them completly away from the garden if possible though just so the sight of one doesn't scare the buns.

I was told by my mum that I should let my boyfriends parents dog pee in the garden to spread his scent to stop foxes coming near. Maybe its time to get that collie puppy I've been wanting so I have a permanent dog smell around the garden. Anyone know if the dog pee idea would work?

19. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

:) I love collies! i'm sure he/she would do the trick, but i really dont know about the dog pee

20. borderer

borderer Guest

no it wont stop foxy:eek:hmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice