Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Foxes again

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Treaclesmum, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Every evening, we hear a fox barking around the local neighbourhood. Well last night I was in bed, and heard it out the front. Looked out the window, and I saw the fox crossing our road heading for the fields opposite. Two other foxes were waiting to meet it in the garden besides the fields. Then I saw a fourth fox running down the road and into our front garden!!! :(

I am really reluctant to let my boys ever go outside with packs of foxes around!! I know many people say they don't harm cats, but this isn't just one or two foxes, it's whole packs. My kittens could be very feisty boys if challenged by an enemy, but even a fully grown cat would be terrified of 4 foxes... maybe they should be indoor cats????????? :( :confused: :(

2. martap

martap PetForums Member

I believe that keeping cats indoors is a clever solution.. Both of mine are indoor only and would never let them out.. The thought of them getting hurt would destroy me..
    How would you feel if your cats didnt come home one day? I know that if it was me I would have only myself to blame.. Better be safe than sorry.
    I also dont necessarily agree with letting ur cat out cos of their nature.. My cats are the most affectionate, loving little creatures and I believe they are as happy as they could be.. Letting them out wouldnt improve on anything..

3. Treaclesmum

It's true that my 2 are very happy especially now they have each other, and so far they seem content to just look out of the window, but my previous 4 cats loved going out and playing in the garden, especially on summer evenings! So it would be a shame if they can't go out. But we didn't have many foxes back then!! :sosp:

Mine are very loving and affectionate too, but most cats can stand up for themselves, and Jumpy can certainly make enough noise if he doesn't want to be held! :D

#3 Treaclesmum, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Foxes do not form, nor hunt in packs, so arent going to gang up and hunt cats down. You may get family groups, but hunting is always done on a solitary basis.

This is a good site to read on fox behaviour The fox website | Ecology | Social life

I personally, and from experience, do not feel a fox poses any threat to a healthy cat. In fact i have found *most* to be extremely wary of them. One of my cats will attack foxes and has chased of the locall badger a couple of times.

If its something you are going to worry about, then keep them as indoor cats, and maybe build a pen in your garden to they can have a safe outdoor area to access.

5. piglet2003

piglet2003 PetForums Member

Mine have a cat flap to come and go as they please, they never go anyfurther than my garden thankfully but at night they are shut in and put to bed. As for foxes not harming cats maybe have a look at this link Fierce debate sparked after kitten is mauled to death by fox (From Epsom Guardian)
    This happened just round the corner from me. I have seen foxes 3 of them circling a cat before now on the green across the road from me i must admit i chased them of then sat watch for a while to make sure they didn't come back.

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i'd be far more concerned about other hazards that a free roaming cat has to face, people and traffic are much more dangerous than a fox...to keep your cats safe from real dangers why not cat proof your garden?:)

7. martap

martap PetForums Member

Unfortunately, my 2 (both BSH) would probably rather play with the enemies than fight lol

8. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, foxes have been known to kill cats so it's wise to keep them indoors at night. This happened a friend of mine ( during the day in Surrey as well ) who managed to get her to the vets for surgery on time and thankfully she was saved. In urban areas these attacks are more common as alternative food sources have become depleted. The advent of wheelie bins for one thing had lead to an increase in attacks on felines.

9. Treaclesmum

I guess what I might do is wait until early summer (May or June) when the evenings are much lighter, and the weather is getting really nice, and then see if they want to start going out. Treacle will be nearly a year old then, and Jumpy will be 9 months, so they will be bigger. They can spend long evenings in the garden then hopefully want to come in at nightfall.

10. Treaclesmum

Ok, from reading this:- Year of the fox 1: From January to December - I think that what I saw last night was the parent foxes chasing last year's cubs from the nest!! It says they do this alot in January! The 2 foxes going into the fields, pursued by another, were slightly smaller, although looked adult. That must mean the other 2 foxes (who came from and to my garden!!) must be a mating pair nesting either in our garden or more likely in the overgrown alley behind..... This would explain their behaviour, but it also makes it very hard for me to decide whether I can safely let the kittens out in the spring :( :(

By April and even May, the foxes will likely have another young litter of cubs, and if either of my cats attempted to approach them or enter the nest, I don't like to think what the parent foxes would do. :eek: :(

Very scary post here... from http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/mammal-forums/17176-foxes-and-domestic-cats-2.html
    One of our cats (a 15 year old female) was taken by a fox last night. The whole thing was caught on security camera and I can assure you she was not bothering cubs or anything like that. Completely opportunistic attack by the fox as it strolled past and clocked her under a bush.

Seen a few interactions over the past months of the the fox and our cats, but usually in the presence of our male cat (who is pretty hefty) and it all seemed completely non-threatening.

Bottom line, and worth bearing in mind at this time of year if any of your cats are a bit frail; if the fox has cubs to feed and stumbles across a fight/meal it thinks it can win easily, it won't hesitate to take on a cat. And it will win.

#10 Treaclesmum, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

There is always going to be someone who has a horror story relating to foxes attacking cats,but having lived for many years with fox families as garden residents I have never witnessed any.Before Bumble my semi feral cat actually "moved in" he shared the same garden and slept in a shed with no problems at all.The only chasing I ever witnessed was him chasing a fox that ventured to close to his "house"and believe me that fox didnt hang about ,it was off down the garden.As already pointed out there are far greater dangers in the outside world than foxes.

12. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

We get foxes in our back gardens all the time, Indie is not scared and neither is foxy, They just keep out of each others way. I have also observed foxes in our front garden at 3 in the morning and a kitty sitting on the wall right under foxy's nose - just minding his own business. Never heard of them fighting or getting attacked/killed.

Not to say it cant happen. I think they respect each other.

13. Treaclesmum

I think foxes are probably the greatest danger from my perspective, because I've safely had outdoor cats for 20 years up until now in the same house, it's just the number and proximity of the foxes which has changed in the past few years.

But I agree, fox attacks are unusual, I guess I'm just worried because of the kittens ages and lack of experience of the outdoors. If they want to go out when it's warm in the late Spring, I wouldn't want to have to stop them!

14. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

A lot of you wont believe this but it is true. During the summer I noticed from my bedroom window Puss Puss sleeping in next doors garden and about 6 feet away was an adult fox sleeping as well. I was totally stuned by this so I kept an eye out for about half hour and as one woke so did the other and looked at each other, then walk away in opposite directions.

15. noushka05

maybe you should check out some of the threads on here or the Rainbow bridge section? now they would scare me if i had a cat....because you'll see a staggering number of cats that have been killed on the roads, yet i'd be extremely surprised if you could find one single post where someones cat was killed by a fox.

hope i havent upset anyone saying this, but i think it puts the dangers of foxes into perspective.

16. Treaclesmum

Quite true, it's just that where I live, it is not a busy road (it's a quiet crescent) where cats have always been very safe.

It's in the London suburbs, and foxes have only recently increased around here. Everyone around here has noticed the increase! The local cats seem to be quite used to seeing cars, but not necessarily foxes, however I will be sensible and not let them out when the young cubs are in the den! A few weeks after that should be safer :)

17. noushka05

tbh i'd be surprised that foxes would pose the biggest danger to your cats whereever you live........ after traffic its people who are the greater threat, whether thats acts of deliberate cruelty or accidental, just off the top of my head i have a friend whos cat went missing and weeks later an old lady found her trapped in her shed...she was too far gone to be saved, i can think of 4 examples of cats being killed by loose dogs, one poisoned with antifreeze...if i think about it im sure i could go on and on.....but despite having foxes around here ive never ever heard of a cat being killed by one.

but im glad you'll be keeping the cats in till after spring it should give fledgelings a bit better chance, keeping cats in at night also helps wildlife, safest option for all concerned is not letting them roam at all though:)

18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I can honestly say that I have never worried about foxes harming my cats - there may a possibility but I would have though it highly unlikely.

My two go out in the day & evening but I bring them in at night. We are lucky in that we have a large garden for them to play in but I'm sure Winnie has snuck out a couple of times.

I've see a couple of foxes in the area & one has definitely been in our garden (I think it was sniffing about where the chickens are) but the dogs ran out barking & I just saw a flash off tail as s/he ran off. Not sure how it got in though :confused:

19. Treaclesmum

I just don't like the thought of them heading straight down the garden and towards the foxes' nest! They will be so excited the first time they get to see birds and mice for real, and might be too curious! :eek:

Had to take Treacle off the top of my hamster's cage last night!!! :blush:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice