Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fox proofing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sheridan01, Jul 17, 2009.

1. sheridan01

sheridan01 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys

i really need some help.
    Please dont be harsh with what Im going to say. It has worked for 3.5 years

my 2 rabbits are outdoor bunnies. Their hutch is in a corner of the porch and is left open during the day. They have free run of the porch which has small fencing to stop then getting to the soil and plants.
    the porch then has steep stairs leading down to the rest of the grassed garden. That is where the foxes roam.

No animal ever comes onto the porch and hasnt done in the 7 years I have lived here, which is why the bunnies run free.

yesterday morning, a young fox, maybe a year old got onto the porch through some dense trees and almost killed Furby!!!
    It got her round the neck but thanks to my parents it dropped her and ran off. Furby is ok but now I am petrified of them being outside

how do I fox proof the porch? Is there any way of doing that?
    the bunnies hate being enclosed in the small space they will be limited to. how can i make it better for them?

thanks

2. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I've never tried this but i've heard that getting a man to pee around a certain area can stop foxes in their tracts. The theory is that the foxes will think that the smell has come from a very large predator and the fox will be too frightened to push it's luck :)

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Have u taken the bun to the vets? I imagine foxes like cats have a lot of bad bacteria in their mouths, puncture woods can be so small,

I would construct a fence around the porch area, the fox could come back. Rabbits do need a lot of space, you could buy a run and then only let them out of that when your with them but I dont think they'd like it much

4. borderer

borderer Guest

get a gun:D

5. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

I agree with emzybabe have you checked your rabbit over thoroughly for puncture wounds.
    They can be very hard to find.
    Poor bun she was very lucky that your parents were around and also some rabbits just die of shock rather than any actual injury.

6. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

:rolleyes:

7. sheridan01

hi guys,

poor furby had 6 superficial wounds to her neck so I took her to the vet within2 hrs of it happening. he agreed that they were superficial and we both agreed that she should get some antibiotics and NSAIDS. So both bunnies have been getting the NSAIDS>

poor furby wont even come out of the hutch now.
    Im currently thinking of a large run(still not as big as what they are used to) with electrified bungee wiring and sonic deterrants.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Make sure you give probiotics aswell. Antibiotics strip the guts of the good bacteria needed for digestion.

9. sheridan01

what probiotics would you suggest for a rabbit?

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Fibreplex. Your vet should have provided some.

11. sheridan01

got nothing else from the vet:confused:
    i have the antibiotics and NSAIDS.
    think i might have some treats which claim to be probiotic. will look them out tonight

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A lot of vets are useless when it comes to small animals.

Anything will be better than nothing. Id give your vet a ring in the morning and see if you can pick some up.

13. Lemoney.Ellie

Lemoney.Ellie PetForums Newbie

Stupid fox!!
    Well it all depends on the size of your garden with the whole run thing but the pee thing is kinda right, you can buy lions wee it has no scent to us nor rabbits but fox's smell it and wont come anywhere near it as its as if a bigger predator has marked his territory. try this website if you want (its where i got mine) Predator Urine - Free Shipping- Coyote urine, fox, wolf, urines, bobcat pee, Animal, Pet , Attractants, Boot Waterproofing it really did work for me!

You could think about putting a bigger fence around the patio area? Make it harder for them to get in?

Hope the buns are ok xx

14. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

poor bun
    could you turn your patio in to an aviary kinda thing, although it would be a little unsightly. I'm pretty sure u cant use the ultra sonic things near bunnies either but not sure?

15. sheridan01

hi guys,

a bit of an update.the rabbits are in a big run but now refuse to come out of the hutch at all!!! they only come out if they have free run of the patio.

so my parents have agreed to a compromise. They have put up 7 ft fencing around the perimeter and I am going to buy a sonic deterrant and fox proof electrical fencing to put around all of the fencing. also going to put up the ***** layer? (irregular spikes)

what do you think?

16. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I'm sure they would get used to the run especially with some places to hide and food in it.

I think their are laws stating u can only have 6ft fences between gardens (sorry did a degree in building surveying) but I'm pretty sure foxes can climb quiet well especially if there are trees by the fence

Wouldn't bother with the sonic thing it could hurt your buns too

you also have to think about birds of prey which sounds silly but could happen

I'm not sure what you mean about the spike thing? If you mean sharp things I wouldnt bother either, the last thing you want is a half dead fox in ur garden or the neighbours cat

hope this is of some help

17. sheridan01

well i have just ordered the electrical fencing at £270!!!!

dont think i will bother with the sonic deterrants at the moment if they can hurt the bunnies.
    the spike things arent big spikes. they just stop the fox/cat from standing on the wall. Wish i could remember the name of them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice