Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fox Hunting Ban May Be Overturned

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nina, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I am absolutely appalled to learn that the Conservatives have stressed their eagerness to overturn the fox hunting ban should they get into power :cursing:

I would therefore ask animal lovers everywhere to PLEASE show your disapproval here Polls | Countryfile Magazine

2. borderer

borderer Guest

vote conservative:biggrin:

3. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Please tell me that you are joking bordy :)

4. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

That's why I was upset about Elliott Morley leaving as he fought hard to stop fox hunting. I really hope it doesn't come back, we are cruel enough to animals as it is without hunting foxes.

noushka05 likes this.
  5. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree, i dont see how we can preach to other countries about animal welfare if fox hunting becomes legal again:nonod:

i voted & also for the badger one & the one to make farmers set aside land for wildlife:)

Guinevere13 likes this.
  7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Just as I thought and has restored my faith in human nature. Many thanks for that link Marcia :)

8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

The countryside Alience is the biggest joke ever! :D

Go Leauge Against Cruel Sports! :D

noushka05 likes this.
  9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I have voted and on a few others!!
    I think its awful i love foxes :( I hope it does not become legal again i am very against it!!

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

A few facts -

Foxes are not significant predators of farm livestock

Foxes are highly adaptable and live mostly on earthworms, rodents, rabbits and carrion. For this reason foxes are of positive benefit to most farmers.

Foxes are expert scavengers which is why they have been so effective in establishing urban fox populations. Foxes will prey on ground nesting birds but rarely on lambs.

Post-mortem evidence has demonstrated that lambs taken by foxes are likely to be either already dead or weak, non viable lambs.

According to MAFF, predation of foxes on lambs is nationally 'insignificant'. Studies show that lamb losses are between 10% and 24% from hypothermia, malnutrition or disease, but even sheep farmers only claim that only 0.5% are due to foxes.
    Hunting does not control fox populations

Hunts kill around 20,000 foxes a year, but this is only 3% of the fox population.

The fox population is governed by the year round availability of food in defended territories.

Where foxes are persecuted by humans more cubs are produced to restore their population levels.

Studies in Europe have shown that fox populations can survive losses of up to 70% and still recover fully in the following year.

Where foxes are killed this merely created a vacant territory which will be quickly filled by other foxes.
    Hunting is cruel by design

Foxhounds are bred to run more slowly than the fox to sustain a good chase. The fox will outrun the hounds initially until it is exhausted and overtaken by the hounds.

Many foxes escape by hiding in fox earths or badger setts and will be dealt with by the terrier men.

Hounds do not kill foxes instantly with a 'nip to the back of the neck'. Canids do not kill in this way but rather tend to bring down their prey by a series of bites and tears to their quarry. The League has obtained post-mortem evidence from veterinary surgeons to support that this is how foxes recovered by League monitors have died.

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Can we please keep this to the request by the op

if you dont agree then just turn and walk away otherwise this will become a really heated arguement and will end up being closed

We all have our own thoughts on this one but that is not what is being asked for

12. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Interesting facts there Nina, not that i expect many people will believe you :(
    Although universities etc, not just the league have done post-mortems and come up with the same results.
    Foxes are NOT killed in seconds, even an ex huntsman said that one hunt that he participated in, they chased down a fox and when the dogs (oh god sorry, hounds :rolleyes:) got to the fox, it took an agonising 10-15mins for that poor fox to finally die :mad: :(

13. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Tashi, I did not want this to turn into a free for all and would hate this to be closed.

People are entitled to their opinion and I LOVE good healthy debate. A good example was my Cesar Milan thread. Everyone has been good tempered. I think they are too afraid of my wet kippers :D

14. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

The facts were taken from the RSPCA website so I cannot take the credit for the text :D They were my thoughts exactly though :)

15. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I think what really annoys me though is when foxhounds trample peoples gardens and 'accidentally' kill peoples cats and small dogs!

Also, if huntsmen are currently acting within the law, why when they see a hunt moniter, do they beat them up? :mad:
    I'm not sure if you heard about the couple who were assaulted by a huntsman?

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I would be surprised if it was overturned. The numbers of people attending drag hunts has surpassed all expections. I know our local hunt will never revert to hunting animals (they were drag hunting long before the ban), as the numbers attending has tripled since the ban. A few hunts have actually reported such an increase they have had to bring in more dogs and employ more people, one in the eye for the pro-hunters who were professing doom and gloom at the implementation of a ban!!!:001_tt2:

17. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Seeing as your not going to bother, i'll mention that this link contains photos of dead/mutilated animals :rolleyes:

18. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Well I can only speak for the villagers around me and arable farmers actually banned the hunt off their land due to the damage caused.

Ashridge Forest in Hemel Hempstead, also banned the hunt, since they too caused terrible damage and the hounds actually killed an elderly ladies Yorkshire Terrier. It was reported in all the local press which created outrage.

I will say however, that if I witnessed a fox attacking my chickens, I would undoubtedly shoot it on site. Hunting on the other hand is undeniably barbaric and hunts have been found to actually breed foxes for the pleasure of their sick pursuits.

19. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Its really funnhy because a man that helps out at the wildlife hospital i help out at is a farmer!
    He has lambs, chickens and pigs! and foxes that visit his land! Yes they have took chickens but never have they took a lamb!
    Sorry i find it very hard to belive a fox would take a health lamb! just my views!

20. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i wont be voting conservatives anyway. although this just makes me hate them even more. conservatives dont give a monkeys about anyone except people with money, if you have money your ok but they do nothing to help out those that for whatever reason need financial assistance. also maggy thatcher took away free milk at schools. stealing from children is barbaric!!!

although to be fair all gorvernments are crap. maybe some of us here should band together and start our own. call it the animal welfare party!! lol

i also hate any sport where people sit on horses, its sooooo unnatural for a horse to be sat on. and so cruel. not nice for the dogs, foxes or any other animal that gets in the way and trampled

#20 cassie01, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice