Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Found tortoise in Turkey - what to do?

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by Bertie Timms, May 31, 2020.

1. Bertie Timms

Bertie Timms PetForums Newbie

Hi - my children have found a tortoise on a hillside in Turkey (a long way from any houses so unlikely to be an escaped pet, and with lockdown it is impossible to find out if anyone is looking). We are due to leave for UK soon, and one of them is very keen to keep it as a pet. We want to do the right thing by the tortoise, and if it should be returned to the hillside then of course we will. It may not take to Northumberland due to climate. It also keeps escaping so I suspect that it prefers to take its chances up the hill.

Any advice much appreciated, including travel advice (are they protected in Turkey/prohibited from UK etc?). It is about 10cm long, picture attached. IMG_2006.jpg

Many thanks for any advice.

Bertie

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Please return it to the area you found it in. Definitely don't transport it back to the UK. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal from both countries' POV!

3. Bertie Timms

Bertie Timms PetForums Newbie

All clear. Thanks. Any idea what species it is, as a matter of interest?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice