Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Found Some Baby Sunfish

Discussion in 'Marine Aquarium Advice' started by LapisOre, Sep 2, 2017.

1. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

My family moved into a nice condo and there is a golf course with a pond in the middle which has turtles, ducks, aquatic insects, and of course, the baby sunfish. I caught three originally to feed to my praying mantis but she doesn't want to eat them so I kinda wanna just keep them. They are about an inch long each, they seem healthy, they are swimming around and stuff they seem fine. I am not planning on keeping them forever, maybe just a week if I can. They are living in about 1/2 to 1 gallon empty salad container along with some pond algae and sand with the pond water they were living in. Will they need a filter or is a water change once a day enough? Like I said I am using water from the pond they lived in. What should I feed them? Should I give them aquatic plants or something to hide in? Will these things even live more than a day? (All my other tries at keeping these failed). Please give me some tips. I've never kept fish before, and the last time our family ever had fish was when I was like 4 years old and I don't even remember them. Thanks a lot, LapisOre :)

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

There are quite a few fish with the common name sunfish. What species do you mean. If you are keeping the fish longer than a few days(3 or 4) you will need a filter (one that already has a population of mature bacteria in it not a brand new one). If keeping them for a few days then I recommend 30% water changes each day from the water you got them from.

3. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

I mean the freshwater sunfish. I do not know if they are bluegill or something else I just know they're some kind of freshwater sunfish. This is my second day keeping them they are still active and alive I have them a water change planning on changing the water daily if I do this will they still need a filter? They've gotten more used to me I fed them some tiny mealworm and I heard they should eat bloodworms but we can't go to a pet store until our corn snake needs food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice