Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Found on preloved...what on earth is this?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by niki87, Jun 11, 2010.

1. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

God that looks bad..i hope she gets the proper help that poor creature needs.:(

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Isn't it about where the scent gland is? If so she needs to see a vet as there's definitely something wrong

4. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Yes though she has seen the vet who said that removing it is too risky. But I have been looking it up and found this...

Hamsters : Hamster Health: Hip Spots, Scent Glands

...So could it be an infected hip spot? Then surely all she needs is antibiotics? xx

5. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

LOL...btw...LOVE your pic of ratty in the hammock!!! xx

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

According to something I read the hip spots apparently aren't usually problematic but when I googled for a pic of them they are all much smaller than the one her hamsters got, apparently Cushing's disease can cause the scent glands to darken & enlarge, sadly the prognosis isn't good for that. I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about hamsters:(

7. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Wow Cushings is horrible!!! Pictures are heartbreaking! I need to go cheer myself up now!!! You're right it is possible...but is so hard. And the woman doesn't wanna go to vets again. Grrr. xx

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My sis had a hamster when we were little.... It had that exact lump and it was about a year old.. the vet said it was a tumour and nothing really they could do but PTS.. She took it home and it prob lasted 2 weeks before we were back at the vets and had the hamster put to sleep....

So sad.. it looked like a huge lump with a hole in it where the scent gland was...

9. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Yes exactly what this is. I asked her last night if hammy was losing fur...she said it had almoost completely gone in one night! Sounds like that Cushers. What an awful disease! Poor thing. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice