Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

found a good food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Wayne01, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Wayne01

Wayne01 PetForums Member

I think I've found a great food
    Moorlands

37.51% chicken
    15.01 chicken meal
    14.32 white rice
    14.32 brown rice
    10 23 oats
    3.41 beet pulp
    2.05 chicken oils
    2.05 chicken gravy
    0.82 minerals and vitamin supplement
    0.04 glucosamine
    0.12 mannan oligosaccharides
    0.12 fructo oligosaccharides
    £36 per 12kg

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Over 42% is cereal or other controversial filler. Not as bad as others on the market, but I'd be wary of feeding so much filler.

3. Wayne01

Wayne01 PetForums Member

Over 50 named meat source no derivatives

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Not bad at all!

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

:Give it a try, its your dog and as long as your Alfie seems to do well on it, go for it.

Make sure u gradually introduce any new food gradually to avoid any sudden changes can cause upset stomachs.

Remember feeding guides on packets are just that, sometimes dogs require more than recommended. Sometimes others require less. I find I need to find less Arden grange, so it is quite a cost effective food.

6. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

why does it need white rice AND brown rice AND oats???

if they'd cut that down to just brown rice it wouldn't be so bad

7. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but although they list the fresh chicken at 37%, it will have its water content removed to make it into dried food and that means it ends up as approximately 20% of its original weight (when the meat is listed as meal, that means it's already dried). So the actual meat content is considerably less than 50%. I *think* a mixture of fresh meat and meat meal is a good thing though?

Reasonable quality food though, but if I was spending £36 per bag, I'd rather buy something like Fishmongers from Pets@Home.

8. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

As 37.51% is fresh chicken the meat content will actually be considerably lower than it seems once the moisture is removed.

9. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Not too sure about that food, it probably works out to be more grain than meat when you really look at the ingredients. For £36 for 12kg I would probably look at something like Applaws which works out only slightly more expensive.

10. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Fishmongers is a fantastic food for the price. Pets at home currently have the 10KG bags in for £25

60% Salmon (Freshly Cooked Salmon 42%, Salmon Meal 12%, Salmon Oil 5%, Salmon Digest 1%), 28% Potato (Potato 14%, Potato Starch 14%), Beet Pulp, Minerals, Vitamins, Brewers Yeast, Mannanoligosaccharides (530 mg/kg), Fructooligosaccharides (530 mg/kg), Yu

Additives:

Crude Protein 29%, Crude Oils and Fats 14%, Crude Fibre 3%, Crude Ash 8%

4.1 out of 5 on Which Dog Food.co.uk

11. ellenlouisepascoe

and PS If you are a pets at home VIP member I got two £10 vouchers through the door yesterday :) You have to spend £50 , but good if you are doing a bulk food buy :)

12. Wayne01

Wayne01 PetForums Member

How do I get vip member

13. ellenlouisepascoe

14. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Oooh good, let's hope there are vouchers for me in the post too then I can go and buy some of the Fishmongers that is currently on offer :)

15. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Ohhhh fab! It's been a while since I had vouchers worth using / spending the petrol to go to PAH

Hope ours are on the way too!

Re the food - for the price I'd def go for Fishmongers too!

16. ellenlouisepascoe

Mine came on Saturday was 2 x £10 off vouchers when you spend £50 , so spend £100 and only pay £80 or spend £50 and only pay £40.

I also got my 10% discount voucher for signing up, not sure if you can use that in conjunction though :confused:

I only really use P@H for their treats, don't think I could spend £50 on Natures Menu Dog Treats with Chicken / Beef / Lamb :lol:

The husky could do with a new bed I suppose, but he seems to adamant on squeezing into our CKCS bed which only his backside fits in.

On the topic of food, I got a £5 off voucher for a food called Pro Plan, checked it out in P@H and it's £54.25 for 14KG but the ingredients are ... mehhh :confused:

Chicken (20%), wheat, maize gluten, dehydrated poultry protein, rice (8%), animal fat, maize, digest, beet pulp, dried egg, fish oil, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, minerals, colostrum, calcium carbonate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine.

Antioxidant: Tocopherol (rich extracts of natural origin).

Vitamins VVitamin A: 15000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3: 750 IU/kg, Vitamin E: 170 mg/kg, Vitamin C: 70 mg/kg

17. Renata

Renata PetForums Member

Controversial filler? I am sure you can explain what you mean by that.

18. ellenlouisepascoe

Renata do you just come to threads trying to start arguments with people?
    A lot of people don't like dog foods with fillers, end of story I don't think people need to be confronted about their opinion.

That is what forums are for, opinions / advice / knowledge. If I fed something to my dog with 42% filler / cereals etc he would be outside the majority of the day filling my garden with what comes out his back end. :nono:

As my Nanna would say, opinions are like A***holes, everybody has one.

19. Wilmer

Wilmer PetForums Senior

Hear hear - If I give Betty foods with cereal in, they double her "output". Bearing in mind she can often do two bag's worth in one go, this is not good :eek:

20. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Beet pulp, by product and regarded with suspicion by my favourite dog food analysis website because it's basically useless and a FILLER. Again, it's a useful horse feed. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice